Black
    2001 Ram Air WS6

Humming/whistle noise from rear of car HELP

Hello just joined this site, have a question I have a 2001 ws6 ram air trans am. when I start the car I can hear a humming or almost whistle noise comming from the rear of the car .... at first I thought it was the stereo but I powered it off and still makes the noise...anyone know what it could be? I also thought it could be the exhaust???? you can hear it from inside and outside of the car

98 Formula
    06 duramax

if it's more like a buzzing sound it's probably fuel pump bearings. The bearings can make a humming/buzzing kinda sound. Sarge offered up some advice in this thread fuel pump whine and it helped the guy with his. Mine made the noise for a couple of years off and on. I swapped out the pump when I put the 12 bolt in but the pump was still running fine. Try the additive that Sarge suggested and see if that helps you.

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

also, does it stop after the car gets warm? I had a noise like that; you would also notice it from the driver side engine bay. It was my AIR pump making noise--someone before me had installed an aftermarket intake lid that had no place for the AIR tube to go so a breather filter was stuck in the end of it and tucked away--it had gotten nasty and clogged up since i didn't know it was there, causing the pump to growl and whine when it was on--and it echoed out the exhaust.

Black
    2001 Ram Air WS6

Sweet I read the link it sounds like pretty well what I hear too I am going to go buy some lucas ucl and give it a try

Thanks again

98 Formula
    06 duramax

post back up and let us know how it works out.

red black
    98Z28

Hi, read the other post, was also hearing my pump 98 with 179,000miles. To let everyone know I tried this with some success took three tankfulls twice with the lucas and once with MarvelMystery oil it is making no where near the noise. Will try to continue treatments every other tankful or so. But also am trying to keep tank above 1/2full so this also quiets it some.

I did let it get to 1/4 just to see and like I said no where near as noisy. I had the airplane passing over sound just never would pass over. Noticed it most at stops with less than 1/4 tank. Now have to listen for it and if the radio is on so you can talk over it you can't hear it at all.

On a side note if i should do the replacement, can I just replace pump without having to by it as a unit? Sender is working ok or is this if your going to do it do it all the way?
    Any way thanks for all the help. Being that I'm never far from home and have triple AAA I may push this a while.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yeah, I would recommend looking at harris speed works ( sponsor section) and getting a racetronix kit. Nice kit and really good install directions.

Red
    1998 Firebird T/A WS6

Odd, i actualy put the lucas in my tank today and drove for 70 miles and i started getting a whine from my fuel pump. That wasnt there before and its still well above 3/4 a tank. But it stoped after i let the car cool down for an hour. what you guys think? just a fluke or what... maybe i should run a couple more bottles in it and see.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    yeah, I would recommend looking at harris speed works ( sponsor section) and getting a racetronix kit. Nice kit and really good install directions.
    Very simple install with the right tools.
    And very much worth it!!!

Good luck!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by setzer6127 View Post
    Odd, i actualy put the lucas in my tank today and drove for 70 miles and i started getting a whine from my fuel pump. That wasnt there before and its still well above 3/4 a tank. But it stoped after i let the car cool down for an hour. what you guys think? just a fluke or what... maybe i should run a couple more bottles in it and see.
    This stuff has helped people in the past evidently so I would put another bottle or two through it and see what happens. Mine whined for a long time off and on before I replaced it.

red black
    98Z28

Been four months , so I thought I would post back up. Noise is now almost gone. As long as I add every other tankfull and don't get below a quarter tank you can not hear it at all. Even when getting below a quarter tank the whine is hardly noticed now. Every now and then when forgetting to add the whine trys to come back but adding the lucas quites it pretty quick. I would recomend it. Been almost 10,000 miles now. Car has 187,000 miles still gets around 23mpg in and out of city and 27 highway. Post up again in a few months.

MRM
    2002 T/A M6

Thank YOU Sarge!!!! My pump had been getting louder and was starting to sound like an air pump. I found your post, went to Advance, and grab a bottle of Lucas and like magic the noise is gone. Thank you for sharing your techno wizdom!!!!!

Thread Information