Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

how to spend about $15k on 135k mile trans am

This is a discussion on how to spend about $15k on 135k mile trans am within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; If the motor runs fine I wouldn't touch the bottom end until I did everything else. You have a goal ...

If the motor runs fine I wouldn't touch the bottom end until I did everything else. You have a goal of 600hp if your goal is to put that to the ground 600rwhp you will need to spend some serious coin on the engine alone. You can't get a rear end from a truck in a junk yard they won't fit. I believe in doing it right the first time and the rear is not somewhere you want to scrimp if you are going for that kind of power. Get 12 bolt, 9in or S60 from Moser or Strange that will set you back 2500-3000. I'd stay auto since you that is what you have and save some $$$, rebuild and stall it. Finish out the suspension then do all the bolt ons. If you save where you can and pick up quality used stuff when possible your budget might be enough to get close. Whatever you have left over start building an new motor. In order to hit 600hp you will need a radical stroker or some sort of forced induction that will put you way over your budget when you add in all the supporting mods to accomodate that kind of power.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

I got about $6500 in to mine and it hauls ass, corners great, and still gets 26mpg on the highway
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Black
    2001 Formula

I love hear about guys telling how they drop so much money. shoot i only drop a few bucks in mods hear and there. but idc i still kill my buddys mustang for the little money i can put in my car.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by ls1wallen View Post
    I love hear about guys telling how they drop so much money. shoot i only drop a few bucks in mods hear and there. but idc i still kill my buddys mustang for the little money i can put in my car.
    All you need to spend to kill a mustang is about $15...

That would be used to put gas in your car.

Quote Originally Posted by rc74racer View Post
    You can't get a rear end from a truck in a junk yard they won't fit. I believe in doing it right the first time and the rear is not somewhere you want to scrimp if you are going for that kind of power. Get 12 bolt, 9in or S60 from Moser or Strange that will set you back 2500-3000.
    Yeah, I should have mentioned about modify one to fit.

Don't think we should put ford parts in our cars either, I mean we're supposed to be brand loyal right?

Quote Originally Posted by ls1wallen View Post
    Is there a sticky for nitrous?!

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

One thing I would not do is to supercharge the engine, it is more trouble than it is worth, and I do not believe that aluminum blocks do well with this modification.

Nitrous will accelerate the inevitable (sp), a worn out engine.

SteveC

whote
    98 T/A RAM AIR

Thanks for the help - i really appreciate it

Thanks to everyone that took the time to respond to my post, everyones input & suggested directions are appreciated and will definitely be a big help to me.

I'll surely post pics and updates as things progress.

BOSSHO

TAMPA BAY FLORIDA

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by bossho View Post
    Thanks to everyone that took the time to respond to my post, everyones input & suggested directions are appreciated and will definitely be a big help to me.

I'll surely post pics and updates as things progress.

BOSSHO

TAMPA BAY FLORIDA
    good luck on which ever way you go with your build! keep us posted

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z28

Maybe it is just me but why would you spend $15K on a car that is worth $7K. And when you are done you will be lucky if it is worth $10K. If it was me get the car up to a strong runner and do some apperance mods. Spend about 5-6K on it and invest the rest in a house or something that will gain value. Just my 2 cents take it for what it is worth.

Ryan

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Chops View Post
    Maybe it is just me but why would you spend $15K on a car that is worth $7K. And when you are done you will be lucky if it is worth $10K. If it was me get the car up to a strong runner and do some apperance mods. Spend about 5-6K on it and invest the rest in a house or something that will gain value. Just my 2 cents take it for what it is worth.

Ryan
    because we are addicts
    I've got the house and the family now, so its harder to find time and money for mods than it was when I was single and living at home with my parents.......dont get me wrong, I am very happy where I am in life, but I say if you can, play as hard as you can while time allows

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z28

I guess I am looking at it this way. He could buy a car with less miles and no issues for 15K and then sell the one he has Spend 6K on the new one and he still has 1K to spend at the strip club.

hugger orange

I guess I am looking at it this way. He could buy a car with less miles and no issues for 15K and then sell the one he has Spend 6K on the new one and he still has 1K to spend at the strip club.
    lol true.
    with me I know "garage time" is my peaceful relaxing time, and a lot of it is more of a pride when I can stand back and say " look what I did".......but you are right, nomatter what, cars are a money pit and you should build them as a money loss for smiles per miles and never plan on them actually making money for you

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    smiles per miles
    I like that right there.

hugger orange

I like that right there.
    sometimes worth more than money

whote
    98 T/A RAM AIR

I agree/understand that I would be lucky to get back 10 cents on the dollar for mods, I definitely look at this as an entertainment expense vs. any type of investment. Oh, and the strip club will still get the $1k :-)

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Put the 15K down on a 2010 Camaro SS, and trade in your trans am.

SteveC

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

sometimes worth more than money
    I agree 100% on this. You earn money to enjoy life. If soaking 10K or hell, like some of us, 20K into a car, if it makes you get a chub every time you get behind the wheel and makes you smile when every time you take it out you get compliments and thumbs up from numerous people....it's so worth it IMO.

At the same time though, you have to be smart about it and not let your car consume your entire paycheck.

whote
    98 T/A RAM AIR

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    Put the 15K down on a 2010 Camaro SS, and trade in your trans am.

SteveC
    I respect your opinion, my mindest is just different, to each his own of course.

IMHO the TCO over 5 years for a 2010 Camaro would be about $20-$40K++ more than the 9 second car I'm building that would eat a 2010 Camaro for lunch.

That 20-30k will be wisely spent on things such as lap dances, buying a bigger boat and maybe even pumping up my mutual funds etc.
    Last edited by bossho; 11-05-2009 at 10:04 PM.

whote
    98 T/A RAM AIR

lol true.
    with me I know "garage time" is my peaceful relaxing time, and a lot of it is more of a pride when I can stand back and say " look what I did".......but you are right, nomatter what, cars are a money pit and you should build them as a money loss for smiles per miles and never plan on them actually making money for you
    I agree and don't expect to ever get back more than .20 on any dollar spent, for me, this is a hobby and most hobbies cost money, maybe I'm wrong but I don't there too many people on this or similar boards flipping cars for a profit

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by bossho View Post
    I agree and don't expect to ever get back more than .20 on any dollar spent, for me, this is a hobby and most hobbies cost money, maybe I'm wrong but I don't there too many people on this or similar boards flipping cars for a profit
    today when I get off work I need to pull the goat into the garage and replace my wideband o2 sensor (hit a raccoon), wash it, clean out the interior and remove the sub box.......saturday headed to track and shooting for the 12s......if something breaks I'll put a bigger better replacement part in

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information