1998 WS6, 1969 Camaro

How responsive are ls1's to mods?

I have a stock ws6 right now and have been putting money away for mods, and in another month I should have enough for exaust and a lid.

I was just wondering if a lid and exaust will make a big differance. Right now I am just going to do a borla catback.

What would it take to get my car in the 12's w/o sfc and drag radials? (13.4 fastest so far)

eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanater View Post

What would it take to get my car in the 12's w/o sfc and drag radials? (13.4 fastest so far)
    headers,ory, exhaust, lid...if its one of those chosen vehicles that were meant to go faster then the other then probably just lid and exhaust

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

I dropped .6 from my headers and exhaust... they are VERY responsive to mods..
    -Geno
    1983 Black WS6 "WindCharger"
    1987 Black WS6 "WS87"
    2002 Black WS6 "Silver Streak"
    Sold the other four f-bodies

1998 WS6, 1969 Camaro

Thats good to know!

My friends '07 STi was mid 13's stock and he put exaust on and programed it. After that he was in the 12's.

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

I'm an auto.. but I have headers, true duals, 3600 stall, lid, 3.73 gears, and a shiftkit, went from 13.5 to 12.1.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Im a m6 i have LTs, catback, lid and run high 12s, my best right now is a 12.87 and that was after only owning the car for 2 weeks hoping for better this next time.

1998 WS6, 1969 Camaro

I didn't know I could hit 12's with just bolt ons. And I also have the m6.

I know this is a little off topic but are true duals very much better?

Black
    98 Trans Am

I have a stock ws6 right now and have been putting money away for mods, and in another month I should have enough for exaust and a lid.

I was just wondering if a lid and exaust will make a big differance. Right now I am just going to do a borla catback.

A lid will help about 10rwhp, personally I wouldn't spend the $ on a catback right now, being a WS6, it already has the 2.75 stainless SLP piece, a Borla might sound and look a little better but it won't add much power(maybe 1-2 peak) Your better off putting the money towards some long tubes, and a tune. Keep practicing driving, trying different shift points, and who knows, you might be able to shave that time down into the 12's in cool weather, with just a lid and free mods, it's been done.

1998 WS6, 1969 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by F&Ybodlover View Post
    A lid will help about 10rwhp, personally I wouldn't spend the $ on a catback right now, being a WS6, it already has the 2.75 stainless SLP piece, a Borla might sound and look a little better but it won't add much power(maybe 1-2 peak) Your better off putting the money towards some long tubes, and a tune. Keep practicing driving, trying different shift points, and who knows, you might be able to shave that time down into the 12's in cool weather, with just a lid and free mods, it's been done.
    Actually I was lucky enough to get the one year that the ws6 has single exaust. And I am getting the exaust more for sound than performance.

Once I am done with that I will look into lt's, ory, and a ls6 intake.

eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by KITTvsKARR View Post
    I'm an auto.. but I have headers, true duals, 3600 stall, lid, 3.73 gears, and a shiftkit, went from 13.5 to 12.1.
    WOA! CHET!

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

A guy a used to run with at the track had a '98 T/A, non WS6, and he hit a 12.9 with minimal mods.

He was running Nitto drag radials, had a cutout, and pulled the air filter out for the run. Stock lid, and 56k miles on the stock clutch at the time. He ran a 12.9x at 108 or 109, IIRC. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it with my own eyes.

1998 WS6, 1969 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    A guy a used to run with at the track had a '98 T/A, non WS6, and he hit a 12.9 with minimal mods.

He was running Nitto drag radials, had a cutout, and pulled the air filter out for the run. Stock lid, and 56k miles on the stock clutch at the time. He ran a 12.9x at 108 or 109, IIRC. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it with my own eyes.
    Drag radials aren't a minimal mod in my opinion. I put drag radials on my camaro and picked up .6sec.

Red
    2001 WS6 Trans Am

Drag radials aren't a minimal mod in my opinion. I put drag radials on my camaro and picked up .6sec.
    I figured I would pick up a lot by putting on drag radials. I have a Dynomax cat-back, K&N drop in, and Diablosport tuning and best so far is 13.12. Just added Nitto's this week and I didn't pick up a thing in my 60' over the Goodyear F1's that I was running on. It was a more consistant 60', but didn't get any quicker. A 2.04 was my best today. That was usually my best with the Goodyears, though the day I ran a 13.12 I had a 1.99 60'.

I'm looking at induction stuff now if anyone has any suggestions. I'm thinking about several options. SLP smooth bellows and air lid to go with my K&N drop in and maybe a Fast Toys ram air kit is an option. I also really like the Volant cold air induction kit(looks pretty much like a K&N FIPK, but prettier).

Has anyone ever tried the throttle body velocity stacks? They look like they're supposed to give the same effect as porting, but in a plastic insert. How about throttle body spacers? Thanks.

Green
    94 Camaro 3.4

TB stacks & spacers are junk. They are a throw-back to carburated motors, because then they would actually improve fuel distribution. On an LS1? Ain't gonna do crap.

Thread Information