Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Navy Blue
    ls1 trans am

How often do you guys clean your MAF sensor.. is it necessary?

A friend of mine told me that a MAF sensor should be cleaned frequently (everytime you change or clean an airfilter). However, I have 96K miles on my car and have not cleaned my MAF sensor. I know there is some stuff out there to spray on the sensor that is made just for MAF sensors. However, do you guys clean them and notice any improvement. He said its suppose to help it idle a little more smoothly and get better gas milage if the sensor is dirty. Let me know guys.. the cleaner is 6.99 and I dont want to buy it if it isnt necessary.. I also de-screened and ported the throttle body. Thanks Guys

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

First I've heard of that......the sensor on the MAF is pretty sensative and if you start putting stuff on it you could ruin it.......if it's working....leave it alone.....or you could end up buying a new MAF....

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

I know if you have a k@n air filter it can dirty the maf with oil sometimes and you can clean it with MAF cleaner but if your idle is good I wouldnt fool with it IMO.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

I've always cleaned mine...haven't had any probs so far. Make sure you use a non-residue cleaner since the purpose of cleaning the filaments is to remove oil/residue...just spray them and let air dry. I do mine when i change the filter..

candy red
    98 Camaro Z28

Clean it with a maf cleaner by crc, I heard its a good cleaner, and alot of people notice a big difference, I did try it and didnt really notice it, but it cant hurt

Navy Blue
    ls1 trans am

oh ok.. I have a k&n filter and I'm sure it has gotten oil on it.... is the crc stuff sold at O'reilly's thats where I checked.. I had problems with the idle but when I changed the PCV it seemed to fix that problem.. I might give it a try. anyone have problems with cleaning.. I know these things are expensive to replace so I dont want to damage the sensor. Thanks

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I think I did once.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I clean mine usually once a year. It's easy and as long as you're gentle with it and don't bang it around or touch the wires you'll be fine. I use the CRC stuff but radio shack also carries a good non-residue cleaner. I never really notice a difference but that's a good thing right? Means it wasn't dirty enough to effect the car. It's just a small maintenance item I tend to do when I'm doing something else to the intake such as cleaning the filter or something like that.

Pewter
    2002 WS6

I've never cleaned the MAF on any of my cars... I suppose I'll add that to an annual maintenance schedule! Like on my wife's car that has 120k!

-Eagle

Red
    2005 Cadillac CTS-V

if you really want too clean it, just take it off and squirt some brakekleen thru the maf, not too direct, and DONT touch the wires!!

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Well let's see now.........in the seven years I've owned my car & the 128K miles I've driven it.........ummmmmm........NONE
    Regular maintinence thing??? You gotta be kidding!!!

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

There would be no way in god's green earth I'd squirt brakekleen in it!!!!! You will be shopping for a new MAF......that stuff will damage the sensor in like no time......it's a corrosive designed for metal...not electronic equipment......if you're dead set on cleaning the thing then maybe some electronics parts cleaner......but like I said earlier....I'd leave it alone......it's very sensitive

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by rbob93 View Post
    Well let's see now.........in the seven years I've owned my car & the 128K miles I've driven it.........ummmmmm........NONE
    Regular maintinence thing??? You gotta be kidding!!!
    nope, not kidding. Just takes a couple of minutes and if you run an oil based filter it's a good idea.

Red
    2005 Cadillac CTS-V

brakekleen is corosive?

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 2MuchFun View Post
    brakekleen is corosive?
    Yes........not like say battery acid but yes......just wouldn't put it on plastics for an extended period......it's designed to go on metal and take grease/brake crap off.......certainly not a electronic device.....in fact if you read the can I believe it even says it on there....

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 2MuchFun View Post
    brakekleen is corosive?
    Corrosive is not the right word, its not acid, its just a very strong cleaner. It has to be strong to eat through brake dust, oils, and residue on brake components. Its good for cleaning metal, not plastic or sensors, I've seen it melt cheap plastic like nothing.

The proper product to use for MAF sensors to ensure that you don't damage them is CRC Mass Air Flow Cleaner, its designed specifically for that purpose. Its sold in most auto stores. If you can't get it for some reason, electronics component cleaner should work well too.

99 Z28

I clean mine when I think it needs it or if I accidentally over oild my K&N. I have felt a difference when it was really dirty. usually 2-3 times a year, it really depends.

Red
    2005 Cadillac CTS-V

hrmmm thats good to know.

I use brakekleen for alot of stuff, i even wipe down my white atv graphics with it!!!

Black
    1998 Trans am

I clean mine regularly but not with brakleen. I use contact cleaner for electronic parts. When that can is gone I will buy the MAF spray cleaner. Spray on only, air dry.

white
    2002 z28

crc makes a MAF cleaners but being a electrian just buy the regual non residue semi contact cleaner. never wipe by the lines and only spray a max of 2 times for the time being. CRC makes a all purpose cleaner which i prefere as i know the difference but whats a extra 2.50

Thread Information