How often do you change hoses and belts?

This is a discussion on How often do you change hoses and belts? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; The old adage used to be that if the hoses and belts were 4 or more years old that they ...

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

How often do you change hoses and belts?

The old adage used to be that if the hoses and belts were 4 or more years old that they should be changed. I certainly change them out when they show signs of wear or aging, however, these days it seems like the "rubber" products on our engines are lasting quite a long time. I am asking not only as to our LS1's, but cars in general. In the Spring of 2009, I swapped out all the hoses and belts on the Trans Am -- at the time it was 7 years old and had around 71,500 miles. Everything still looked really good and I am 95% certain they were the factory originals. Just curious as to what others are experiencing and their maintenance intervals for belts and hoses?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

That's a pretty good question and I was just wondering the same thing. As you are aware, I don't drive my car as often as many, but have been more recently; almost 20K on her now

I still have all of the original belts and hoses on the car from when I bought it new in 02.

They all still look brand new, but I do wonder about the integrity of them at times.

I don't know about belts/hoses, but I know for tires it is 8 years, depending on how they are stored.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I change my serp belt yearly.. Especially after it sits through winter.. For all the more they cost can't see not changing then often.. imho
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

silver
    2000 formula

i think the newer fomulations of rubber(?) tend not to have the standard outward appearance of wear.......so i am thinking a regular schedule of change is needed

Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

I usually only change them when they need them. Keep an eye on the Serp and when I see cracks, change it. As for hoses... I freely admit I am horrible about not changing them until it's too late. Really should be better about changing those!
    2000 Pontiac Firehawk #0041 of 742

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

Belts and hoses are dependant on several factors - the environment and temperature of your driving, how often you flush the antifreeze, how clean the engine compartment is, etc.

For the belts, check the ribbed side evry year or two for signs of wear or cracking. For the hoses check for being brittle or too soft (with the engine cold).

I replace the belts every two years with ac delco, the other brands tend to be noisy, and my original hoses still look great after 10 years but I flush the coolant every two years and I treat the hoses with silicone during my winter clean up project.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I always change out belts when they start to check -- not immediately at the sign of the first check, but after a while when the checks start to accumulate. Absent checks, how long would you run a belt? Certainly belts are the easier of the two to determine when they need changed. If it is not leaking or bubbled though, I'm just not certain how long hoses should be allowed to stay on the car. Like Jon said about his car, my hoses really looked and felt good on the T/A. I changed them anyway as I knew we would be tripping the car some distance.

BTW -- have fun with the heater hose assembly, Jon. Maybe it's easier with headers. I changed mine out with the stock manifolds still in place and it was a bee-yitch.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Belts live in an extremely hostile environment & are so cheap & easy to replace that I change them every spring when I flush the cooling system.
    Hoses?? Only when they show signs of soft spots or cracking on the ends.

silver
    2000 formula

i saw a few drops on tranny oil under my car.....seems the rubber hose on the line going to the radiator tranny cooler is fixin to dump on me.......damm dry rot on 10 yr old rubber

silver
    2000 formula

and if i change the heater hose............what do i use? a GM part that has been sitting in a warehouse for how long???

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by sjsingle1 View Post
    and if i change the heater hose............what do i use? a GM part that has been sitting in a warehouse for how long???

The heater hose comes as a complete assembly. I ordered mine from the local dealership before I knew about GM Parts Direct. Better it be setting in a warehouse than under the hood of a car imo.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Kind of off subject here by a ton, but how close are you to Wilmerding, PA Jeff?

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Kind of off subject here by a ton, but how close are you to Wilmerding, PA Jeff?

A long way... looks to be about 4 hours or more. We will have a house, as of tomorrow, in Beaver Springs. That is 110 miles closer, but still quite a drive.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I see. Looks like I will be out there soon probably for a few days for some testing I need to complete. Our headquarters is located there.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I see. Looks like I will be out there soon probably for a few days for some testing I need to complete. Our headquarters is located there.

Let me know when. Maybe Dawn will want to run over to Falling Water again -- she loves that place.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Will do Jeff. I would probably be out there maybe 2 days, possibly 3. I have to see when my scheduled surgery is going to be from my shoulder dislocation first before I can schedule my trip there. I see the Dr. this Wednesday so I should know after that.

Thread Information