Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

How much heat can a hose take?

So I am in the process of running the cheap catch can so i can remove my PCV.

I am using the existing lines that come of the valve covers and up to the front passenger side of the intake. This is where you would normally find your PCV on the LS1 style PCV system. Here is where my question starts.

Close your eyes and picture your LS1 sitting there, or do what i do just pop the hood, .

Under the throttle body where the coolant lines run you may notice a small space between the throttle body and where the water pump mates with the engine. This is what I was thinking.

I was trying to find a nice spot to strap down my little cheap catch can. I have 6 feet of 3/8" hose. The hose reads 30R6, don't know what that means. I noticed my 5/16" hose reads 30R7. I asked the parts guy for 6 feet of Fuel/Emissions hose. If 30R6 is not the right number and t needs to be 30R7 then I can just go back and get them to swap for a fresh cut of the right stuff.

Since the PCV is a kind of hard plastic and has a slight bend in it. It bends toward the intake. I was thinking about running my rubber hose under the throttle body and through that little space. It fits perfectly with zero crimping or pinching and really works well with the bend in the existing plastic line.

Can my hose handle the heat that will be emitting from that location? I have no idea what kind of temps these hoses can take.

thanks

kool-aide

NBM
    2002 Camaro

It should be perfectly fine. I used the same hose for by coolant bypass, so it should handle that heat.
    02 Camaro
    PRC Stg 2.5 5.3's, Futral F14, PP Typhoon intake, True duals, Performabuilt tranny, & 3500 convertor, HSW plate kit.
    *Old Time* 10.90@ 125mph

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by NoscamaroSS View Post
    It should be perfectly fine. I used the same hose for by coolant bypass, so it should handle that heat.
    cool the guy at the parts store said it should be ok. All they sell is the SAE 30R6.

I searched for 30R6 and 30R7. I don't know if the Goodyear website was the right place, but I found something like J30R6 and J30R7. The 6 was good for -40 to 212 degrees F and the 7 was good up to like 257. I kind of wish I had the 30R7 though, .

SAE J30R6
    http://www.goodyearep.com/ProductsDetail.aspx?id=10414

SAE J30R7
    http://www.goodyearep.com/ProductsDetail.aspx?id=10526

I have no idea if those links are relavent to my hose or not, but sometimes searching can be worse than gambling.

My choices were to run it under the Throttle body or over the throttle body.

What I didn't like about over the TB was trying to no kink or pinch the hose. I was just worried because the hose will rest right on top of the Engine/Water pump. The will get pretty hot in there.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

if it helps the hose reads SAE 30R6 KX 10 22 09 (maybe a date). It is from Advanced Auto, aka DAP, lol.... No name on the hose like Goodyear or anything.

I know the hose you get from Auto Zone is Goodyear 30R7.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

well i have the line run and every thing is done. i have no idea if everything is working well or not, kind of scary.

i guess over time if i see oil in the container it works. if not, well i screwed up, lol...

Thread Information