Results 1 to 20 of 20

How much engine is too much?

This is a discussion on How much engine is too much? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I know I'm about to get some wildly varying responses here, but I find myself wondering, just how much power ...

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    326

    How much engine is too much?

    I know I'm about to get some wildly varying responses here, but I find myself wondering, just how much power is enough? Basically, when does an F-body come to the point that it really can't handle anymore power? (As a street or road track car...drag racing is an entirely different story)

    There must come a power level at which even with the best aftermarket suspension and 315mm Nitto NT05s on the back, you start blowing the tires off all the way through 2ng gear (which is 90mph in an A4 car)

    But what kind of power are we talking about to do something like that, I don't think an LS7 would be unmanageable, but how about an LS9? or would unmanageable power only come from truly over the top builds?



    On a related note:

    Obviously, I don't have any experience with massively powerful cars, or I wouldn't be asking...but, if someone did drop an engine into an F-body that was simply too much for it to handle, would the solution simply be to drop a longer ratio gear into the rear end and enjoy longer periods between shifts...or would that negate the advantage of a more powerful engine?

  2. #2
    Member c5z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    8,120

    On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

    No such thing, when you have to much power you solve it with more grip, and if you can't break it lose you put in more power. Nitto's-psshh plenty of grippier tires out there.

  3. #3
    Grand Imperial Wizard Sarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas Department of Corrections
    Posts
    18,129
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

    It is all about quickness and not how much HP one makes. The HP focused crowd are called "Dyno Queens".
    Yes...a 400 rear wheel horsepower car can run faster times than a 700 RWHP twin turbo. Simply put the guy that gets it to the ground wins.

    Horspower sells cars. Torque wins races.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    326
    I don't disagree at all Sarge, I was just thinking that with todays technology, its relatively easy and not terribly expensive to make a ridiculous amount of power...but as you said, other than bragging rights on the dyno, can a street/roar race car actually make use of that much power > with the right set up and a set of slicks F-bodies are hooking with 1000(s) of hp/tq, but that's an entirely different set up compared to a street/race set up where handling is a consideration and slicks or DRs are not there to help you hook.
    Power is great, right up to the point that you make so much power that you can't even feather the throttle coming out of a corner without spinning across the track....that would really ruin my day.
    Last edited by Intrepidman; 01-31-2011 at 06:03 AM.

  5. #5
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    That's right if you can't get it to the road may as well roll down your window and throw money out it.... Big difference in "fast" and "should be fast"...
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif


    Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

  6. #6
    None Shall Pass Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    East of Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    3,828

    Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

    The only time I would say a car might have enough power, is if when you pressed on the gas it caused instant death. Otherwise, you can always add more.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    326
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    The only time I would say a car might have enough power, is if when you pressed on the gas it caused instant death. Otherwise, you can always add more.
    Replace "instant" with "imminent", and you are not far off the mark when it comes to some tracks and only facotry safety equipment.




    On a side note, I knew I should have titled this thread differently to avoid so many people replying "There is No such thing as too much" lol

  8. #8
    Spaz is My Mentor SMWS6TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ugy Lower Corner of AL
    Posts
    10,511

    Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

    I quote - "Warp speed Mr Zulu!!"



    OP ask that question to the ppl that throw in a 427 Cobra or a LS3 with a super charger into a Miata, a BOSS 302 into a pinto.

  9. #9
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    802.378 rwhp and 792.884 rwtq

  10. #10
    Spaz is My Mentor SMWS6TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ugy Lower Corner of AL
    Posts
    10,511

    Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

    Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    802.378 rwhp and 792.884 rwtq

  11. #11
    Veteran Blackbird WS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    van down by the river
    Posts
    1,937
    well a boosted or spray car can make a shit load of power and be very streetable....i dont know what the limit is susp wise but theres people making 1000+rwhp on a f-body susp setup

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    326
    Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    802.378 rwhp and 792.884 rwtq
    VERY Nice! ... Can you get that thing wide open in 2nd or 3rd on the street? .. If so, what tranny, gear and tire make/size are you running. That would be great info IF you don't mind sharing all your secrets ;-)

  13. #13
    Senior Member tatertot91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Coral Springs, Fl
    Posts
    5,773

    Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by Intrepidman View Post
    VERY Nice! ... Can you get that thing wide open in 2nd or 3rd on the street? .. If so, what tranny, gear and tire make/size are you running. That would be great info IF you don't mind sharing all your secrets ;-)
    I think it was a joke

  14. #14
    Grand Imperial Wizard Sarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas Department of Corrections
    Posts
    18,129
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

    Quote Originally Posted by Intrepidman View Post
    I don't disagree at all Sarge, I was just thinking that with todays technology, its relatively easy and not terribly expensive to make a ridiculous amount of power...but as you said, other than bragging rights on the dyno, can a street/roar race car actually make use of that much power > with the right set up and a set of slicks F-bodies are hooking with 1000(s) of hp/tq, but that's an entirely different set up compared to a street/race set up where handling is a consideration and slicks or DRs are not there to help you hook.
    Power is great, right up to the point that you make so much power that you can't even feather the throttle coming out of a corner without spinning across the track....that would really ruin my day.
    I'll share a lil something here I dont often "share". I drove the Radio Shack Pro Stocker many years ago. Vette. Built by Jim Pressley of Corvettes by Pressley. That is how I met my wife. Did not have any dyno's and shit then. But I "guess" we put down somwhere around 600 RWHP and ran 10's.Since then cars (Pro Stock) put down maybe 30% more power and run what? 6's? 5's? A 100% ET difference. The difference is the chassis and rear ends. Today I have a totally street legal 2004 GTO /AC/Leather seats etc. car. Runs 10's. It aint the power...it is the geometry and chassis.

  15. #15
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    No such thing, when you have to much power you solve it with more grip, and if you can't break it lose you put in more power. Nitto's-psshh plenty of grippier tires out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Intrepidman View Post

    There must come a power level at which even with the best aftermarket suspension and 315mm Nitto NT05s on the back, you start blowing the tires off all the way through 2ng gear (which is 90mph in an A4 car)
    actually the NT05s are really good autox or hpde tires...they arent quite like the 555rs with drag racing.

    i think for autox and hpde there is definitely a limit. The biggest one being the class you are competing in. then you have grip..but most of the time that can be solved with the proper set up...mind you the gt1 C6r had 580@5400 rpm and 610 tq@4400 rpm. obviously they could have got more power but didn't need it and i believe they were limited by the class.

  16. #16
    Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    2,677
    2000 C5 Torch Red

    Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    I quote - "Warp speed Mr Zulu!!"



    OP ask that question to the ppl that throw in a 427 Cobra or a LS3 with a super charger into a Miata, a BOSS 302 into a pinto.
    Warp speed is fast, but when you hit ludacris speed... then you have enough power

  17. #17
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    I think it was a joke
    It was...

    I'll let you all know how I hook up on the streets come April. I'll be putting down around 550 to the wheels.

    Suspension set-up in sig.
    It's on jackstands.

  18. #18
    Member 20ws6speed01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Winston,OR
    Posts
    272

    blue
    2001 WS6

    ( gt1 C6r had 580@5400 rpm and 610 tq@4400 rpm. )

  19. #19
    cutting and welding mark21742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    mercersburg pa
    Posts
    6,443

    hugger orange
    2004

    Make it too fast and too powerful, then work on a very good traction/ stability control to make it not spin when you don't want it to.

    With torque management and traction control you can tame even the wildest beast

  20. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    77

    Red
    2000 Trans AM

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    It is all about quickness and not how much HP one makes. The HP focused crowd are called "Dyno Queens".
    Yes...a 400 rear wheel horsepower car can run faster times than a 700 RWHP twin turbo. Simply put the guy that gets it to the ground wins.

    Horspower sells cars. Torque wins races.
    I agree. which is why my brother and I planned on making a diesel powered muscle car. They did it with a 65 impala in diesel powered magazine and was running insane times. Diesels naturally make more torque.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Small Block Chevy Engine - Build Your First Engine - Tech
    By Ed Blown Vert in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-30-2008, 08:50 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-29-2007, 07:50 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-01-2007, 11:00 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-24-2007, 02:20 AM
  5. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-30-2006, 01:59 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •