green
    94 z28

How much do these parts weigh?

I was wanting to know how many pounds each of these parts weighed because I plan on doing some fiberglass weight reduction and hoping I didn't have to take each part off to weigh them. Keep in mind, I want the weight for each pice, not both(like fenders for example).

• Fender
    • Quarter Panel
    • Hood
    • Door Skin
    • Vinyl Interior(minus the door panels)

This is for a 94 Camaro.

I'm (Hurst) Equipped... davebowtie's Avatar

Onyx Black
    '02 Camaro SS(replica) M6

The fenders and door skins are about as light as they're gonna get... they're made of SMC (i think) Sheet Molded Compound... Like a plastic/fiberglass hybrid. Sorry though, doesn't really answer yer question haw?
    here's the bump tho...
    C:\Documents and Settings\Dave\Desktop\sig01.jpg

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

What else do you have done to the car? Because my understanding of it is for the cost it would be to replace all those parts with lighter pieces its going to be expensive... REALLY expensive and that money could be better used on something like engine mods this way you're gaining actual horsepower not chopping down your car. But whatever makes you happy man. If you're still really intent on losing some weight for the strip why don't you get some skinnies for the front?

green
    94 z28

Quote Originally Posted by Bouvs View Post
    What else do you have done to the car? Because my understanding of it is for the cost it would be to replace all those parts with lighter pieces its going to be expensive... REALLY expensive and that money could be better used on something like engine mods this way you're gaining actual horsepower not chopping down your car. But whatever makes you happy man. If you're still really intent on losing some weight for the strip why don't you get some skinnies for the front?
    The weight reduction of fiberglass would pretty much be free. I have tons of fiberglass already. I'm making it myself, not buying it.

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

oh I didn't realize that, sounds pretty cool deffinately post when you're done I"m very curious to see the weight reduction.

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

The only steel exterior panels on the car are the quarters and the rockers.
    The problem with cutting them up is that they are a structural part of the car.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS

I always wanted to make a custom fiberglass hood, so that would be really neat. I know my stock SS hood was a heavy bitch... took 2 people to pick that one up. No idea about the stock metal hoods.

The plastic interior pieces are almost negligible in weight... you'd almost save more by deleting the radio and speakers than by taking them out. I just put all my panels back in or i'd weigh them for you. The dash though, completely different story. That thing is HEAVY... between the airbags and alllll the wiring its pretty ridiculous. If you're building a drag car or something i'd rip out all the airbags and rewire the whole car... I've probably taken out 50#s or more of wiring from my car. vfn fiberglass makes a glass dash as well. you could look to that for inspiration. The carpet is heavy as well, so taking the sound insulation off the back saves a bit of weight without making the car look like a gutbox. For what it's worth a friend of mine has a tubbed third gen with carbon fiber wheel tubs... it's pretty slick

white
    2002 z28

Quote Originally Posted by TwiSSter418 View Post
    I always wanted to make a custom fiberglass hood, so that would be really neat. I know my stock SS hood was a heavy bitch... took 2 people to pick that one up. No idea about the stock metal hoods.

The plastic interior pieces are almost negligible in weight... you'd almost save more by deleting the radio and speakers than by taking them out. I just put all my panels back in or i'd weigh them for you. The dash though, completely different story. That thing is HEAVY... between the airbags and alllll the wiring its pretty ridiculous. If you're building a drag car or something i'd rip out all the airbags and rewire the whole car... I've probably taken out 50#s or more of wiring from my car. vfn fiberglass makes a glass dash as well. you could look to that for inspiration. The carpet is heavy as well, so taking the sound insulation off the back saves a bit of weight without making the car look like a gutbox. For what it's worth a friend of mine has a tubbed third gen with carbon fiber wheel tubs... it's pretty slick

where should i start, if i wanted to take the insulation out, what do i need to remove and such. ??

Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS

take out the seats, and the trim around the door... you shuld be able to yank it out without taking too much more out.. all the interior pieces pretty much just snap together.. its really straightforward once you get in there... and then once the carpets out, the insulation can be pulled off. Its really messy though and mine was disgusting... (lots of spilled sodas)

If you're looking to take weight out of the car without hacking it up, theres a ton of stuff you can do. lighter wheels, lighter seats are easy. If it's not necessary, you can pull it out. I lost a ton of weight with the AC and cruise delete, both of which i never used anyway... exhaust dumped before the axle saves a lot as well.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17319
    That thread is full of good ideas.

white
    2002 z28

thanks alot you da man, i think that will be a great winter project for me since its only 2 months away. but since i have to remove the carpet. ill change it to reall black, or shit even white.

is that insualtion just for heat thoe?

Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS

yah ... heat and sound i think... its like a layer of really nasty, really thick felt...

white
    2002 z28

i know every lil bit helps, but roughly how heavy

Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS

I never weighed it man... I think I remember a few people in that thread I posted did though

white
    2002 z28

thanks anyay,, looks like theres only one way yo find out

green
    94 z28

I'm not wanting to make a drag car. I'm not taking out the carpet deadener...I rather not hear crap from the outside of the car if possible. I am planning on taking the AC out and getting lighter seats, but I can't find any decent looking light weight wheels. Any suggestions/help?

white
    2002 z28

how much does are stock leather seats weigh anyways?? compared to after market??

green
    94 z28

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhiteZ28 View Post
    how much does are stock leather seats weigh anyways?? compared to after market??
    Well...you can get after market seats that weigh half of what the stock seats do. The only problem is...they are like $700 each for the cheapest I've seen. I have seen some for about $250 for the set that way about 5-7 more pounds each seat(which is still great weight reduction) for the pair.

Thread Information