Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

how many OZ's of rear end fuild is required for rear end oil

I'm planning a rear end fuild change on my GM 10 bolt w/ TA girdle I believe the TA girdle increases the amount of rear end fuild?

I like to change this fuild every 25K miles, this will be the first time since TA girdle (after I warm up the fuild) so I'm anxious to see how well the drain plug works.

should I use my rhino ramps in the rear and jack stands in the front so I can tilt the front a tad for complete drain?

previous rear end fuild changes I allways removed the cover w/ the TA girdle I'm not planning on removing cover however I expect all the fuild to drain out even w/ warm fuild should I plan a overnight drain?

I purchased one quart at the auto store and have 10OZs leftover from last change total of 42OZs will this be enought.

also I have forgotten how much GM whale sperm should be added?

Thanks
    Last edited by qwik219d9; 01-12-2012 at 01:02 PM.
    cam-LTs-FAST78-Susp.-Rims

Blackened fire chicken
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

i have the 10 bolt rear end girdle as well...i just fill the diff. through the fill hole on the girdle until it starts pouring out through there. i think its like an extra bottle (quart) of fluid or half a bottle cant remember exactly.so like 2 1/2 - 3 quarts should do...just fill until it starts coming out the hole FROM THE TOP GIRDLE (not the hole on the side of the rear end housing). you dont have to take off the girdle covers to drain. theres a small hole on the bottom of the cover to drain the old fluid...if youre that worried about getting all the old fluid out, just pour in some newer fluid with the drain hole opened...i dont have my car lowered so i have enough room to squeeze down there without ramps or jack stands. haha gm whale sperm! pretty sure youre talking about the limited slip additive, just the 4 oz. bottle they sell will do. hope that answers your questions!
    Last edited by godless-phoenix; 01-12-2012 at 01:34 PM.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Buy more than enough, return unused. A good idea for any project.

Blackened fire chicken

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    Buy more than enough, return unused. A good idea for any project.
    ...or just keep the rest for next time. i did that, and was glad i did

Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by godless-phoenix View Post
    i have the 10 bolt rear end girdle as well...i just fill the diff. through the fill hole on the girdle until it starts pouring out through there. i think its like an extra bottle (quart) of fluid or half a bottle cant remember exactly.so like 2 1/2 - 3 quarts should do...just fill until it starts coming out the hole FROM THE TOP GIRDLE (not the hole on the side of the rear end housing). you dont have to take off the girdle covers to drain. theres a small hole on the bottom of the cover to drain the old fluid...if youre that worried about getting all the old fluid out, just pour in some newer fluid with the drain hole opened...i dont have my car lowered so i have enough room to squeeze down there without ramps or jack stands. haha gm whale sperm! pretty sure youre talking about the limited slip additive, just the 4 oz. bottle they sell will do. hope that answers your questions!
    from you'r response I need to cruise back to the auto store for more fuild. I only purchased one quart which is 32OZs.plus the leftover 10OZs total 42OZs is about 1/2 what you sugest.

I believe the previous fuild changes w/out the TA girdle was a quart and a half.

lets make sure I have enought fluid because I only want to crawl under there once.

also I was planning on filling though the side of 10 bolt hole, is it differnt now w/ the TA girdle.
    Thanks

Blackened fire chicken

pretty sure stock without the girdle needs 2 quarts...so with the girdle, its 1/2 a quart or at the most, 1 more quart of fluid. so total 2 1/2 - 3 quarts, just fill it until it starts coming out the fill hole on the girdle, witch is sort of towards the top right of the cover. the girdle fill hole is higher then the hole on the side of the diff. housing, so that you can fill it with more fluid...if you fill it through the side hole on the housing, it won't hurt, you just won't be able to fill it with the extra fluid capacity that you get with filling it through the hole on the girdle. If you look at a pic of your girdle cover on a website that sells them, you'll see the fill and drain plugs that I'm talking about. theres the bearing cap bolts in the middle on both sides, on the bottom theres the drain plug so you don't have to take off the cover, and the top has the filler plug, its bigger then the drain plug...

Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

when I installed the TA girdle I did'nt know to use the TA girdles fill hole plus the allen head bolt was so tight I could'nt get it off so I used the the side fill hole , hope I did'nt ruin the ten bolt because of low fuild.

how much higher is the TA fill hole compared to the 10 bolts side fill hole?

do you know what size allen wrench fits the TA fill hole?

guess I'll have to attempt removing the allen bolt w/ a allen wrench w/ a pipe slide over it for extra leverage.
    Thanks

By stevethebrain at 2012-01-13
    Last edited by qwik219d9; 01-13-2012 at 05:00 AM.

Red
    1998 Z28

Says it adds almost two qts. I put almost 4 qts in last time.
    1998 Z28: Bolt-ons, Stage ? 4L60E. 250rwhp@6500Ft (R.I.P 5/1/2013)

1998 Mystic Teal Trans Am: Bone stock. (In process)

Blackened fire chicken

i dont remember what size allen wrench to use...ill have to take a look when i get home. thats ok, i didnt know to use that fill hole either until the second time, haha...i dont think you ruined anything on your ten bolt. think youre right about the amount of fluid jacobls1, either way, just fill it up till the fluid starts coming out, then you know its full...and if you have any left over fluid, just save it for next time

Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

these guy's say the girdle increases the fuild by 1/2 pint which is 16OZs

so how much fuild goe's into a stock covered 10 bolt?

Thanks

GM Girdles, Chevy 7.5" 10 Bolt Rear End Girdle, TA_1809 | TAPerformance.com

Blackened fire chicken

100% sure 2 quarts with the stock 10 bolt cover...you said you had already bought a quart and have 10oz. left over, so buy another quart and get the limited slip additive (witch is 4 oz.), put the additive in 1st, then the 2 quarts, and then the 10 oz. you have left and youll be 2 quarts 14 oz. full, but if im doing the math right, youll be 2 oz. short. if youre that worried about being completely full, buy another quart and fill the diff. until fluid starts coming out, then youll know for sure, that its full
    Last edited by godless-phoenix; 01-13-2012 at 10:28 AM.

Blackened fire chicken

16 oz. is half a quart, not half a pint...

Thread Information