Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

How many miles on synthetic oil?

This is a discussion on How many miles on synthetic oil? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by rc74racer That statement would be incorrect. These are v8 cars and see lower rpms then most street ...

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by rc74racer View Post
    That statement would be incorrect. These are v8 cars and see lower rpms then most street cars. Don't get me wrong here if you are beating your car all the time or race every weekend you need to change your oil more often but for normal driving synthetic will go longer then conventional oil and there is no need to change it every 3k. We actually go twice as long on our race motors once we go to synthetic. We've torn down at least a dozen of these motors for rebuilds and all look great inside. I've driven several of my cars over 200k miles without a single oil related issue I guess that's just dumb luck.

You guys keep buying expensive oil and tossing it before it's half used we all know the oil companies need more $$$.

Ask anybody on here, most fbodies get run harder than most daily drivers.
    Its not just that but many of them are modded and develop high compression and high power, all which lead to oil breaking down faster even under regular driving conditions. IF you want to run you motors longer on oil thats your american right im not trying to diss you but get the facts straight.

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

But its all good guys there are many beliefs out there in the car world in regards to oil changing. But the problem is some of them are like the bogus car myth syndrome. Where somebodies grandpa told them something or some company and they believe it and before you know it there are a whole group of people that think something that isnt even necesarily true. Not saying that is the case on here because I trust and respect your guys opinions on here and love to here other peoples views and knowledge and there is more than one way to skin a cat. You guys know what I mean about the car myth thing its great some of the stuff the ricers say. LOL

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by GottaHaveLS1 View Post
    i just bought some 5w 30 to add in cuz i'm a little low. i'm going to change it very soon. is it really bad if i went for 5K or 6K before changing it??

It probably didnt hurt but if I were you i'd change earlier to be safe. If you split the difference between a few different opinions on here and went with
    4k on your syn. you could probably be pretty clean and save some money like old boy was saying. But im maintaing my position of 3k, better safe than sorry imho. Also always check oil at least a few times between changes, cause most used ls1's vaporize a little oil under hard to medium running conditions.
    Jesse
    Last edited by BlwnCamaro; 06-13-2008 at 01:39 PM.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

3K is for conventional oil 30 years ago.

If you want...feel free to continue that method.
    If you run a quality synthetic, take it to 5K. It isn't even breaking down yet at that mileage.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Quote Originally Posted by BlwnCamaro View Post
    But its all good guys there are many beliefs out there in the car world in regards to oil changing. But the problem is some of them are like the bogus car myth syndrome.
    most of you guys are younger than me and never owned a new car from the early 90s and before.
    all the big three car companies would tell you to change the oil every 5k or more miles.
    fast forward to now, oil is better and you need to change it more often?
    that totally doesnt make sense.

the whole marketing scam of change your oil every 3k miles came around the mid 90s with jiffy lube and the big three auto makers joining in the bandwagon along with the oil companies.
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

My buddy before he had his TA repoed (long story) use to try to run that mileage out of his oil. Lets just say for arguements sake that at 4K almost on the dot, his change oil light came on. Which means the synthentic was dirty or broken down enough for the computer to know to change it.

GM believes the most critical external factors to oil life are its running time and its operating temperature; therefore, the indicator tracks engine rpm as a measure of running time and engine temperature as a measure of the oil's environment, applies mathematical penalties to the ideal scenario based on these readings, and blinks the light when the countdown hits zero
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    My buddy before he had his TA repoed (long story) use to try to run that mileage out of his oil. Lets just say for arguements sake that at 4K almost on the dot, his change oil light came on. Which means the synthentic was dirty or broken down enough for the computer to know to change it.

GM believes the most critical external factors to oil life are its running time and its operating temperature; therefore, the indicator tracks engine rpm as a measure of running time and engine temperature as a measure of the oil's environment, applies mathematical penalties to the ideal scenario based on these readings, and blinks the light when the countdown hits zero
    Haven't seen that light in 2 years.
    7K miles.
    50+ passes.

Seems accurate.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

His was like clock work, could almost bet on it. I have only had mine come on once, at 3,300 miles. Changed it the next week. I do 3K and will always do 3K besides the every 1 in a 100 were I go over a bit. I was used to paying $8 dollars a quart, now that I only pay $4, I may change it every 4 miles. Maybe 50 times a tank of gas.

Ask anybody on here, most fbodies get run harder than most daily drivers.
    Its not just that but many of them are modded and develop high compression and high power, all which lead to oil breaking down faster even under regular driving conditions. IF you want to run you motors longer on oil thats your american right im not trying to diss you but get the facts straight.
    I have my facts straight. LS1s are run no harder then any other performance car as a matter of fact since most buyers of corvettes and fbodies were older they are probably not run as hard as say an EVO, STI, Civic SI, etc... that are beat on by teenagers or 20 somethings and spin to 8k rpms.

You guys believe what you want and keep throwing your money away. I'm not defensive just calling BS when I hear and that's what i'm hearing.

To the original poster changing your oil at 5 or 6k miles is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    most of you guys are younger than me and never owned a new car from the early 90s and before.
    all the big three car companies would tell you to change the oil every 5k or more miles.

the whole marketing scam of change your oil every 3k miles came around the mid 90s with jiffy lube and the big three auto makers joining in the bandwagon along with the oil companies.
    You couldn't be more right. So many people have been snowed by this 3k crap especially now when oil is much better then it was 15 years ago.

black

my 91 camaro i owned for 15 years. i never changed the oil less than 5k miles and to top it off, it was conventional oil.
    i beat the piss out of that car and it ran great.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

GM knows more then us. Thats why you buy their cars and thats why they are the best automaker in the world. Mr. Luos I would have your system checked or make sure the bulb isn't burnt out. Enough said

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Change it whenever you want to change it, and I will change it whenever I want to change it. But to the OP, if you want to squeeze out more miles, just go by the light. Its too hard to say how you drive, you may be a babier, or a beater. Who knows but you. Try going by the light just once and see if that suits you. Best of luck.

Silver
    2003 GTI 1.8T :(

GM knows more then us. Thats why you buy their cars and thats why they are the best automaker in the world. Mr. Luos I would have your system checked or make sure the bulb isn't burnt out. Enough said
    so you think just because they say that... they mean that... they say it for more money... kinda like the oil companies buying out countless inventions to help out peoples gas mileage... etc... its in their best interest to say it... so they do

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Mr. Luos I would have your system checked or make sure the bulb isn't burnt out. Enough said
    I hope the bulb is burned out.

Silver
    2003 GTI 1.8T :(

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    I hope the bulb is burned out.
    that bitch was annoying... always told me i needed to change my oil... so i would reset it... and do it when i wantt

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

There is no fucking way in hell anybody can comment on any other motors/drivers Oil Change Interval. Here it is again for the 1,000,000 time.....
    Run any oil...conventional or synthetic...out to 5K, get a Used Oil Analysis, this will tell you what the TBN and wear metals are.....adjust accordingly......
    My OCI's are 500 miles or less due fuel dilution.....

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post

No disrespect bro, but do you work on cars? I've seen oil thats hammered, dirty and thin with less than 3k out of an ls1 or other cars. I dont care what marketing scams are out there if it is a scam i will disseminate and figure it out. I'm talking about real world facts and real life experiance, you have a good point but I still choose to change my oil every 3K and that doesnt make me wrong. Age difference aside ive been working on cars for over 16 years.

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    There is no fucking way in hell anybody can comment on any other motors/drivers Oil Change Interval. Here it is again for the 1,000,000 time.....
    Run any oil...conventional or synthetic...out to 5K, get a Used Oil Analysis, this will tell you what the TBN and wear metals are.....adjust accordingly......
    My OCI's are 500 miles or less due fuel dilution.....
    thats very true, I havnt had test done on my oil but always change early after NOS run or track run. Some of These guys on here think its set in stone that you can go high mileage just cause you have syn. and i was highlighting that there are way more factors to consider thats why I change early. Wow though you change yours every 500, you must be running rich huh? Are you boosted?

black

No disrespect bro, but do you work on cars? I've seen oil thats hammered, dirty and thin with less than 3k out of an ls1 or other cars. I dont care what marketing scams are out there if it is a scam i will disseminate and figure it out. I'm talking about real world facts and real life experiance, you have a good point but I still choose to change my oil every 3K and that doesnt make me wrong. Age difference aside ive been working on cars for over 16 years.
    i dont wrench anymore.
    some oils break down quicker than others and alot depends on how the motor is run.
    that being said, ive beaten the piss out of all my cars, yet never changed the oil every 3k and none of my cars internals ever went bad.

with todays oils, i dont see the need to change the oil more often than 15 years ago.

to each their own though. if a person feels the need to change every 3k, its their car and they have every right.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information