Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

How to make a camaro z28 hit 12.40's

This is a discussion on How to make a camaro z28 hit 12.40's within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; What would it take to run mid 12's then?...

What would it take to run mid 12's then?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Power wise or with sticky tires??

I know I have mentioned it previously in this thread.
    Sticky tires, stall, gears.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Power wise or with sticky tires??

I know I have mentioned it previously in this thread.
    Sticky tires, stall, gears.
    just with power, My dad knows alot of people in the car wourld so he might be able to get me deal's. What will I need to go mid 12's with just my motor on stock tires. Need it to be reliable .

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Much more than $1000.

If you get a perfect condition and can get decent launches on street tires a full bolt-on car might be able to pull it off.
    Full exhaust including longtube headers
    LS6 or better intake
    Airbox lid
    Underdrive pulley
    Etc...

Gears/stall would be a HUGE help.

Much more than $1000.

If you get a perfect condition and can get decent launches on street tires a full bolt-on car might be able to pull it off.
    Full exhaust including longtube headers
    LS6 or better intake
    Airbox lid
    Underdrive pulley
    Etc...

Gears/stall would be a HUGE help.
    Ok how about porting the throtle body and heads and raising the compresion a bit and getting a good tune. That woulnt get me mid 12's? maby a good ramair hood with a ls6 intake

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Raising the compression requires new heads, or at least milling your stockers.
    That will help get you there, but isn't easy. Milling may be $100-200 but you will need new head gaskets and bolts, and the labor is....a LOT!
    Porting the throttle body is a good bolt-on as well.
    Tune will help...but that again is $500 for a dyno tune. Normally not worth it unless you are already full bolt-ons or have done some internal motor mods.
    The ram air hood would be around $700 new unpainted and worth at best 0.1 in the 1.4 mile.

Cheapest way...
    Stall, gears (3.73), and stickier tires. A drag radial would help more than you know with an automatic.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

has anyone said stall, gears, and sticky tires yet

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    has anyone said stall, gears, and sticky tires yet
    You know...that would probably be the best bet.
    I should have mentioned that.

Black
    2001 SS

Quote Originally Posted by andy670ho View Post
    Bone stock 99 z28, no mods at all, bfg drag radials and a 125 hp wet shot gets me consistent 11.80's. Nitrous kit was $400 from harris speed works, tires were $300. A few odds and ends you will want for your nitrous and you'll be just under $1000 and running in the 11's. Best bang for the buck hands down.
    Sounds like a good solution to me!

Silver
    99 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by silent101 View Post
    Well I have seen LS1 in the high 12's stock so I thought a grand would get me mid twelves. gess not... I want a drivable car not some nitous car that will not be usable on the street. I rather just get on intake and a few other things before nitrous or slicks. I dont want to break my car.
    My car has no dyno tune, just an ls1 timing tuner. It gets 26 to 28 miles per gallon and is 100% streetable with nitrous. Thats the best thing about nitrous its not always on only when you need it. The day before I ran 11.80 I drive it 350 miles round trip shopping with my wife. Drove it to the track. It is safe if you make sure everything is working properly. We are putting 100 hp shot to our skidoo Mach z twins and getting 270 hp out of a two stroke twin all day. Absolutely the best horsepower for the buck.

Silver
    2002 Z28

I ran an 11.73 @ 122.4 on stock 16" wheels with street tires, full bolt on, cam-only. Not impressive 60's, but it's possible, and my rear (apparently) won't support Slicks. Back on track though, my car's a solid 3k in parts alone. The only way to hit mid 12s for less than a grand is nitrous. If you bought used budget LTs, stall and gears, installed them yourself, did all free mods, and had the car tuned (keeping in mind it'd have to be one heck-of-a budget tune) you could probably hit your goal. Keep in mind the fast-cheap-reliable idea though, you're heading in a bad direction.

A huge perk to N2O is the fact that it doesn't affect your normal driveability. Turn the bottle off and you're back to stock... well, minus a few degrees of timing. Personally I'd just practice some patience, and follow the normal bolt-on build up. You watch pinks? Even when professionals build up a car in a rush, things are bound to go wrong.
    Last edited by ProwlerZ; 10-20-2006 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Critically wrong MPH!!
    She's baaaaaccccck...

'02 Z/28 M6 Hardtop

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by ProwlerZ View Post
    I ran an 11.73 @ 116 on stock 16" street tires, full bolt on, cam-only. Not impressive 60's
    I don't believe this.

I run 12.0 at 116 on 1.68x short times.
    You would need roughly the same short time...which isn't happening on ANY street tire.
    Please prove me wrong.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

black
    02 CAMARO SS

Quote Originally Posted by SSmoky01 View Post
    One thing come's to mind. Spray that beast.
    i'm with you spray the shit out of it and add a cam

Quote Originally Posted by silent101 View Post
    Aright guzs,
    My dad has a 1970 dodge challenger and it runs 12.40's. I want to know how to make my 1998 camaro z28 run low 12's under a grand and do not want to run slicks or put some kind of loud exhaust/headers on it. Is what I am asking even posible? Thanks

No offense, but there's no way in hell Dad's car is running 12.40 on stock width tires! He would have to be trapping at 130 to make up for no traction. I'm 54 and was at the track when these cars were new, a Hemi or 440 Six Pak would run high 13's to low 14's in perfect conditions on the stock tires.

Silver
    2002 Z28

I run 12.0 at 116 on 1.68x short times.
    You would need roughly the same short time...which isn't happening on ANY street tire.
    Please prove me wrong.
    Aha, ya got me. I was about to get all huffy and argue with you, then I sought out the time slip... and... and... oops. that was a 12.4 @ 116, nearly a year ago pre-cam, tune, etc. Edited to 11.73 @ 122.4.... still embarrassing short times; how are you cutting 1.6 60s? Ya got a 12 bolt in there, or are you an A4? Next trip to the track and I'll be wearing some ET Streets, testing my luck with some low RPM launches. Anyone know a good alternative to 2k worth of 12 bolt or 9", or is building the 10 bolt entirely hopeless?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Edited??? What do you mean?? For DA?

MT DR's 275/50/15's
    Skinnies
    Most stock replacement suspension pieces
    Moser 9"
    M6

Silver
    2002 Z28

Edited for "I typed the wrong #." I typed the speed from a different run, just noting that I edited my post, so if people read it, they wouldn't get confused as to why the issue of #s not matching came up.

Nice setup, I'm in desperate need of a 9", or more specifically, I'm in desperate need of 2k spare change to buy a 9"... It's a shame banks aren't easier to rob, huh?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Agreed.

BlackCherry
    Bad Ass 67 Camaro / 2010

I have seen a lot of cars get broke with Nitrous, mainly because they do not know how to use it.

I also have seen people save a lot of money by having club members come over and help remove the LS1 engine to get it worked on, and then the Club help reinstall the engine.
    All for a few beers, brats and burgers.

This guy's car looks stock, but is fast as hell.

You can always get with your local club and have them help you, even if it is a 45 minute drive.. If you do not have that available, then you will have to have some $$$

Maybe try a Stall converter, and different reare gear, and maybe some different tires.
    1967 Camaro - 2010 Camaro - Life is good to me!

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by joerockhead View Post
    I also have seen people save a lot of money by having club members come over and help remove the LS1 engine to get it worked on, and then the Club help reinstall the engine.
    All for a few beers, brats and burgers.

This guy's car looks stock, but is fast as hell.
    Beer brats, burgers, and beers!!!

Good guys, good company, and a very helping hand.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information