Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

HOW TO: install power window motor

This is a discussion on HOW TO: install power window motor within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by BeaupreFan Next time (There will be a next time, I promise) check out Ebay, they're a third ...

white
    1995, Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by BeaupreFan View Post
    Next time (There will be a next time, I promise) check out Ebay, they're a third of that, brand new.
    I checked on ebay yesterday, and the price was like $30 for both sides excluding shipping and handling of course.

I bought 2 ebay store motors for cheap - supposedly new GM PN replacements, one for me and one for a friend. The one I handed him works fine, the one I put in my car is noisey. Next time I'm getting one from Auto Zone so if something's wrong with it I can bring it back immediately for another one while the door panel is still off. Local lifetime warranty is worth the extra money IMO.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Auto Zone motor will not fit on a 01 SS

Quote Originally Posted by ninobrn99 View Post
    theres gonna come a time for each and everyone of us when we need to do the swap. its pretty simple..

http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html

Nino
    if you have an 01 SS auto zone motor will not fit. tried it today had to take it back, went to o'rileys got one that worked same price and not rebuilt like auto zone

Both Red
    89 Trans Am & 95 Camaro

Where would i go to change manual windows to Auto? And the locks perhaps?

Red
    1999 Trans Am

You got me man ... never heard of anyone doing that upgrade.

SOM
    2002 SS/SLP #7704

Just replaced pass door motor today with the autozone one. Works great, the link was very helpfull. $45.00 at AZ with military discount.

Black
    2002 Formula Firehawk

Just changed it today. Motor was $47 off autozone. The hardest part was finding all my lost tools.
    Victor
    2000 z28 A4
    2002 Formula Firehawk M6

There are other alternatives...By default power comes from your battery, thru your Body control Module on the passenger side then over to the driver side switch. Then back to the passenger window to operate it. This long path of power reduces the amperage and voltage the motor gets by quite a bit.

So your motor is underpowered which

1. reduces motor life
    2. reduces motor strength
    3. makes the breaker blow and the window stop.

This kit will get power to the window directly from the battery. It will improve power to the driver side when both windows are being rolled up and down at the same time due to the switch on the driver side no longer needing to power the passenger side.

From the factory The driver side is powered fine when it is the only one operating but everytime you roll them up or down together they are both getting hit with low volatage. The kit will wake up your passenger motor, but you driver side may be going out if it is acting like the passenger window.

All the cars in the videos on the site have no driver side issues. Getting this kit before you have problems will only help make sure you don't have these issues early.

Window motors WILL fail like any electric motor, but they should not fail so soon. Our window motors should be able to last over 10 years during normal use when they are properly powered.

Got passenger window problems?
    http://www.autotrix.net
    **Window Express Down Modules now availible**
    http://www.autotrix.net/products.html

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Great info here. Did the driver's side in about 90 min.
    Get the Autozone motors unless you are planning on selling the car. They are better than the 13.95 eBay motors.

red/black
    97 Firebird

I just paid $25 for 2 new ones from someone who claimed they are GMs.
    now Im wonder if it is worth the effort to use them vs the AZ lifetime ones.

Eh, I have used AutoZone's motors twice (both sides twice) and I am NOT impressed. They go up slower than GM's.

However, to the sponsor that tpyed up a reply concerning low amperage. Where is this kit you are referring to?
    99 T/A M6
    LS6 intake, Hooker Coated Long Tubes, Y-pipe w/1 carsound cat, Hooker Catback, MTi Clear Lid, FRA w/ Holley Power Shot, ASP crank pulley, 1.8 RRs, 3.73s w/TA girdle & Eaton Differential, Granatelli SFCs, Pro 5.0 Shifter, LS6 Clutch, Diablo, TByrnes Maf Ends (in winter), All the Free Mods

It is availible on http://www.autotrix.net
    our website.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Installed a new motor in my car last night-had a couple quick thoughts.
    The instructions given here work great!
    1. Remove the door speaker. Nobody brings this up including the factory service manual, it is alot easier this way.
    2. If you don't want to drill the holes-remove the entire window regulator. This is the factory manual method. Seems like extra work but may not be all that bad. Probably save time with replacing the rivets for the motor because it's easier to get to.
    3. If yours is still noisy after the replacement you probably don't have it positioned or tightened good enough yet.

4. Is it just me or does it seem like the inside of the door flexs alot when the window goes up and down?
    5. I like the idea of rewiring this with the kit, I think I'll order one of these.
    6. Still find it hard to believe that mine wore out after only 33,000 miles-but it has been 5 years almost exactly.
    7 To the guy who was wondering if he could switch manual to power windows--they use the same regulators, I imagine all you would have to do would be bolt on the motors and wire it up.
    8. The spring held the window up on mine-didn't need any extra support. Always check first before sticking your fingers in there!
    9. And finally --feels good to have my car fixed again! I used a remanned part from a jobber vendor we use at work-he said he sees new and remanned both come back for warranty stuff.
    Last edited by 02z28ls1; 12-17-2006 at 08:12 AM.

I installed a DEI window module in addition to my DEI alarm. The module appears to supply more amperage to the motors since they run faster than before. I'm hoping this will provide a longer life for the motors as posted from the guy above. Plus I can control my windows by remote

http://www.radiomancaraudio.com/DEI-Window-Modules.htm

I have the 530T

Black
    2002 camaro z-28

how much are they in autozone?

$55.00 plus tax

black99, silverY2K
    1999 z28 & Y2K z28

I just replaced my drivers side after putting it off for about 7 or 8 months. Not to bad a job. The biggest pain is getting the door pannel back on. And the itchy material. I also replaced the speaker while I was in there (with a Sony). I am not sure I like the sound difference. Not anywhere near the base of the Monsoon. I tried 6 3/4 rockford subs but they realy need more power to sound good. Otherwise they sound real tiny and quiet. It seems like I always have to do everything 5 or 6 times.

BLACK
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by JesusFan View Post
    if you have an 01 SS auto zone motor will not fit. tried it today had to take it back, went to o'rileys got one that worked same price and not rebuilt like auto zone
    You must have picked up the wrong motor or something. I don't think the '01 door is any different than the '00 door. I ordered autozone motors online from their website and they worked just fine.

Black & Gold
    2001 10th Anniv Firehawk

Ouch! Just called my Pontiac dealer....

$178 for just the motor, $185 for the motor and the regulator together. Motor is $60.46 from Auto Zone.

green
    94 z28

I got my motor from eBay for about $35 shipped and brand new. I haven't had it installed yet, took it to a place to get it installed but they refused to drill inside my door so I'll have to do it myself.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information