How hot does your F body run?

This is a discussion on How hot does your F body run? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I just bought a 2000 WS6 TA and was wondering how hot it is supposed to run. I thought mine ...

black
    1997 corvette 00 WS6 TA

How hot does your F body run?

I just bought a 2000 WS6 TA and was wondering how hot it is supposed to run. I thought mine seems to run kinda hot. It will stay just a bit below the 210 mark. In town or on the highway it stays the same.

Arrest Me Red
    1997 Formula

With the stock thermostat that sounds about right.
    You can go with a 160 thermostat and run cooler, but you have to tell the computer that you have a cooler thermostat.

RED
    1998 Pontiac Trans AM

That's sounding about right but maybe a little high if it holds around 210. Might need to flush and change your coolant. Most likely it's old as hell

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

Yeah like they said above, that sounds right. Also from what I understand they Temp gauge on anything above 98 is just a fixed point gauge. It does not accuratly tell the tempurature, just the preset ranges.

SOM
    '01 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by gnomee View Post
    Yeah like they said above, that sounds right. Also from what I understand they Temp gauge on anything above 98 is just a fixed point gauge. It does not accuratly tell the tempurature, just the preset ranges.
    Temps will get up there sometimes depending on conditions (weather, a/c on, etc.). Just for reference, the PCM turns the fans on/off at the following coolant temps:

Fan 1: 226 on / 219 off
    Fan 2: 233 on / 227 off

The coolant temp guage on the dash was 'dummied' down because of the swings reported back on the '98 setups. It will still report a temp or if the engine is overheating - just not accurately. The plus side of the motor running hotter is it burns off any moisture since water boils at 212*F.

chameleon
    98 T/A

dude mine runs hot after putting a new radiator and thermistat hoses and waterpump, you guys got me wondering if there was a 160 thermo, in there previously

Green

Mine runs 185-190 in 100 degree weather....I have yet to hear my fan cut on its been like that since Ive had it. Ive seen some videos of peoples cars on here with a view of the temp gauge and they were over the 210 mark....theres just something about having an aluminum block and heads that would just put me uneasy at that temp

Thread Information