Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

How hard to change 160 ' T-stat? Looking f/advice

This is a discussion on How hard to change 160 ' T-stat? Looking f/advice within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by DaddySS Help the negine to run cooler.... why would you need the engine to run cooler at ...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by DaddySS View Post
    Help the negine to run cooler....
    why would you need the engine to run cooler at freeway speeds?

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    why would you need the engine to run cooler at freeway speeds?
    Well for one, if you are getting preignition when you for instance speed up on the highway or approach a hill, and secondly, since the fans shut off at 35mph, for all the driving you do above that speed. "Hot oil and cold water make power" as they say in the performance engine business...so why not run cooler.

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    This is false...

Really.

Energy is not free, you have to put in more than you get out. I could write a few paragraphs about it, but before you argue I would suggest Googling principles of electrical generation first.

As far as the stat goes, you need to adjust your fans down to make it more effective. If you guys think you are cruising in the 180s with or without tuning though... well you aren't I can't believe something that most people don't even consider significant has gotten a few pages worth of discussion.
    Thank you, And a scanner is the only way to read f-body temps. accurately.

Flame Red / Orange Custom
    1998 Trans Am

This is false...

Really.

Energy is not free, you have to put in more than you get out. I could write a few paragraphs about it, but before you argue I would suggest Googling principles of electrical generation first.

As far as the stat goes, you need to adjust your fans down to make it more effective. If you guys think you are cruising in the 180s with or without tuning though... well you aren't I can't believe something that most people don't even consider significant has gotten a few pages worth of discussion.
    no I agree with you energy is not free but I would like to here more of your facts about how your fans turning on will hurt your engine HP I guess what im saying is how much horse power are you really going to loose by haveing your fans on? Really how is it going to cause more of a drag on your alternators pulley it is free spining am I right, and yes I do know how electricity is generated altho I am not an expert on the suject maybe you can fill me in, see to me it sounds like it would put more of a strain on your electrical system, to have the fans on, than the engine its self. But this is a friendly post I would just like you to please explain further.
    98 Trans Am Custom Paint, Ghost Skuls On Racing Stripe + Custom Front Lip, :MODs Tubular K-member, Tubular Upper and lower A-arms, Tubular Control Arms, 4:10's, Cam L-.567/.575 D@.05-.212/.218,1.85 Roller Rockers, P&P Heads, ARH Headers & HF Cats & Y-Pipe, SLP loudmouth catback, +'s

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by Customta98 View Post
    ..Really how is it going to cause more of a drag on your alternators pulley it is free spining am I right, and yes I do know how electricity is generated altho I am not an expert on the suject maybe you can fill me in, see to me it sounds like it would put more of a strain on your electrical system, to have the fans on, than the engine its self. But this is a friendly post I would just like you to please explain further.

Heck no it isn't free spinning... as the load on the alternator goes up it gets harder and harder to turn. You are moving energy from one form to another. The process has a loss too, so you put in more than you get out.

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

I believe the efficiency is about 70% for an alternator. There are internet reports of mpg losses for DRL's on cars so I think dual fans running would draw alot more than that.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Those dual fans are a huge load on the car, especially down low.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Those dual fans are a huge load on the car, especially down low.
    Right.....Just watch them go on & see how the voltage drops.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I'm still sticking with swapping the stat is pointless without changing the fans. Pick your poison....do you want alt. draw or timing being pulled? I'd rather have alt. draw.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I'm still sticking with swapping the stat is pointless without changing the fans.

Flame Red / Orange Custom
    1998 Trans Am

ok now I see, Thanx for filling me in Frost, and I agree with Orion I would rather have alt draw then have the timing pulled.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

I'm still sticking with swapping the stat is pointless without changing the fans. Pick your poison....do you want alt. draw or timing being pulled? I'd rather have alt. draw.
    I'm not on a mixed platform, I got off on a tangent related to load Yes you need fan reprogramming for the stat.

The second fan (without the AC) doesn't even come ON until 234degF OEM!!!

Fan one doesn't come on until 226 OEM !!!!

I run the first one way down low and lower the second, but avoid having it come on at all if not needed.

SOM
    2002 SS

Again, I am not saying that not changing the fans is not needed. But for those of you who race below 35 mph... pick your poison as mentioned above.

I just don't care what happens below 35 mph because I am either ...

A) Parked

B) Sitting at a stoplight

C) Driving slow because there's too much traffic to go faster

D) not paying attention and forgot to put the e-brake on.

On the track I am always above 35mph. Especially at Mosport. Doing roll ons with buddies or with random people on the freeway when they want to have a little fun I am at least 50mph. So the fans ARE NEVER ON ANYWAYS. Does anyone get my point?
    Even if the temperature is hot while I am driving my car on the freeway setting the fan settings lower WILL NOT HELP because there is more air coming through the rad via pressure and speed and if the car does not run cooler you are beyond the cooling systems capacity to keep the car cool under those circumstances. Then you would need a bigger rad etc...

So again, a 160 stat is effective without tuning under certain conditions. In my case above 40mph.
    Last edited by 5abivt; 08-14-2009 at 07:43 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information