Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

How to get Rid of Air Bag Light after new steering wheel install

This is a discussion on How to get Rid of Air Bag Light after new steering wheel install within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by kevinpickering There was nothing "wrong" with the old steering wheel, I just wanted to change the look, ...

black
    2002 TA WS7

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpickering View Post
    There was nothing "wrong" with the old steering wheel, I just wanted to change the look, so the interior didn't look like everybody else who owns a Camaro. I didn't want a cheap look so I didn't just buy my steering wheel from AutoZone. That steering wheel is made in Italy and has an amazing feel to it. I road race, so having a good feel, and a shorter diameter is good.

And just for the record, I have invested way more money underneath my hood than on just the looks of my car... I not some stupid ricer that only buys stuff to make my car look "cool". There's nothing wrong with going fast and looking good at the same time. Everyone that has seen my interior thinks that it looks awesome.
    ok thats all i wanted to kno. just reminds me of a crapy ass honda everytime i see or hear about em but at least u have a good reason for one so more power to ya. what kinda work do u have done under the hood

Blue
    1999 Camaro SS

The joystick is a real aircraft joystick that is made by a company out in California called Infinity Aerospace. This is the same joystick being used in the Eclipse 500 light jet. The joystick is fully functional. I have it wired to a circuit board that can control the stereo and I also have my brake line lock on there. I like it because I never have to take my hand off the stick. It feels awesome too!!

Blue
    1999 Camaro SS

So Far... basically every bolt-on and every upgrade to a stock 350 LS1 without NOS, supercharger, or turbocharger...

Stock 347 ci bottom end
    LS6 intake
    Patriot Stage 2 LS6 cylinder heads
    231/236 Thunder Racing Cam
    Thunder Racing 7.40 Pushrods
    Cloyes Roller Timing Chain
    MSD Spark Plug Wires
    NGK TR55 Spark Plugs
    Hooker Long Tube Headers w/ Off-Road Pipe
    SLP Loudmouth Cat-back system w/ Moroso Spiral Flow Muffler
    SLP 25% Underdrive Pulley
    180 Degree Thermostat
    Custom Ram Air Intake System
    S2 Performance Ported Throttle Body
    Fast Toys MAF ends
    JMB Custom Air Box w/ dual K&N filters
    Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel
    Spec Stage 2 Clutch
    McLeod Master Cylinder
    '01 GM Slave Cylinder

Dynoed at 405 hp and 387 lbs trq at the wheels.

you could have wired in a resistor to mimick the load of the air bag you removed.Then the light system would be operational.I think its a federal law you can't legally break out those bulbs ot tamper with the system to defeat its warning that the air bag is nonfunctional.Not sure how you would really get caught though,unless you posted up the info out on the net for everyone to see.

Pewter
    02 Z28

The joystick is a real aircraft joystick that is made by a company out in California called Infinity Aerospace. This is the same joystick being used in the Eclipse 500 light jet. The joystick is fully functional. I have it wired to a circuit board that can control the stereo and I also have my brake line lock on there. I like it because I never have to take my hand off the stick. It feels awesome too!!
    thats sweet it looks really cool and it works even better
    2002 Z28 Auto (3.23 gears)
    Mods
    Lid, UD pulley, Shift Kit, 160 Thermo, Y-pipe, Panhard, TB bypass, Bellow, K&N, Strut Brace, Flowmaster, weight reduction.

Looking for an LSX car.

Well I gave this a try FYI it will turn on the service engine soon light I do not recommond this pulling out the light system...

I just figured it out!!!!!!!!! Now I feel like a dumbass, Alright, if you pull off the black plastic piece and pry up the circuit board just a little, you will see the bulbs that light up each warning system... After that it is VERY simple... figure out which light you don't want and let a pair of needle-nosed pliers do the rest. Well sorry for answering my own question, but hey, maybe somebody else wants the same info.... I included a picture that shows what the lights look like when the board is pulled up... Thanks for all the suggestions, though...
    i pulled my light out but my "service vehicle" light came on

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by jb02ss View Post
    I just figured it out!!!!!!!!! Now I feel like a dumbass, Alright, if you pull off the black plastic piece and pry up the circuit board just a little, you will see the bulbs that light up each warning system... After that it is VERY simple... figure out which light you don't want and let a pair of needle-nosed pliers do the rest. Well sorry for answering my own question, but hey, maybe somebody else wants the same info.... I included a picture that shows what the lights look like when the board is pulled up... Thanks for all the suggestions, though...
    i pulled my light out but my "service vehicle" light came on
    An open circuit was most likely detected, tripping the check engine light since you removed the airbag bulb.

extreme dimensions, driveshaft shop, harrop, hid(35watt/6k) lows, hurst, k&n, led fogs, maverick man, mishimoto, nitto, revshift, slp, stern st-1, smoked sidemarkers, whiteline poly radius rod bushings

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    An open circuit was most likely detected, tripping the check engine light since you removed the airbag bulb.
    so what can i do about the service vehicle light? how do i replace the blud for the air bag light?

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

so what can i do about the service vehicle light? how do i replace the blud for the air bag light?
    Did you try reseting the SES light 1st?
    1998 TA 130k A4, LS6 intake, TunedByFrost, Airlid, AIR and EGR delete, Borla exhaust, front Eibach lowering springs, LS6 valley cover, UMI TQ arm, UMI LCA's, UMI panhard bar, Poly engine mounts, BMR relocation brackets, Blistein HD shocks and struts, Oil catch can, Autotrix window fix.

Now I have an 2001 F150 5.4L

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    Did you try reseting the SES light 1st?
    how do i so that?

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Either with a scanner or you can disconnect the battery for a few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    Either with a scanner or you can disconnect the battery for a few minutes.
    i did that no codes came up and i disconnect the battery as well. nothing happend

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

You could reinstall the airbag light and disconnect the battery to clear the code or have the dealer do it for you.

The same way you pulled it out.

Like Rich said, you just need to reinstall the bulb. Pulling the bulb doesn't work as you've found out. Like I posted 7 years ago in this thread, I unplugged my air bags, and just don't pay attention to the light. Doesn't bother me.

You could always take the cluster apart and put a piece of tape over it if you feel that ambitious.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information