Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

How to get quicker throttle response?

This is a discussion on How to get quicker throttle response? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Whats the best way to get quicker throttle response? ... more power from the stand still?...

  1. #1
    Member Whiteboycntdnce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    190

    Black
    2000 / SS

    How to get quicker throttle response?

    Whats the best way to get quicker throttle response? ... more power from the stand still?

  2. #2
    Pathelogical Liar BlackLT1Z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Missouri
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,476

    Black
    94 Camaro Z28

    I've heard U/D pullies help with the throttle response. Bolt-ons are never a bad thing, and a stall converter will help that launch. Just don't break the rear.

  3. #3
    NY Representative basballny2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    NeW YoRk
    Posts
    3,393

    Red
    2001 ws6

    Cam Ftw!!!!

  4. #4
    Awaiting Activation
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    LS1 land
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,667
    better throttle response > ported and polished throttle body!

  5. #5
    old timer blue02Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,805

    Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

    +1 on the port and polish TB, like day and nite difference. sorta going from a 95 degree day to a 35 degree nite

  6. #6
    Senior Member TransAm11973's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    in my Trans Am
    Posts
    2,630

    Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

    does the ported/polish TB really majke that big a difference. I have been debating on whether or not its worth the money. BTW whats it normally run to do that and who does it?

  7. #7
    Veteran 0rion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    22,520

    98 Formula
    06 duramax

    bend the arm that goes to the back barrels on the carb......oh wait. I thought it was 1979 again.

    Ported and polished TB along with an underdrive pulley should get your revs up a little faster. Got an auto? Stall it. It'll get you in the powerband quicker and keep you there.

  8. #8
    Member Whiteboycntdnce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    190

    Black
    2000 / SS

    i WISH it was an auto... but I got the M6... I'm going to be installing a G5X3 cam w/ possibly some AFR 205 heads soon.... So I know I'll be picking up some more power, just wanted to get some ideas on how I can get the revs up into the power band a tadddddd quicker!

    Ive heard that there are heads out there that produce just under what the AFR's do for a fraction of the price... What direction should I be looking in?

  9. #9
    wheelin' and dealin' BlueBomber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    PV/Scotts, AZ
    Age
    28
    Posts
    194

    NBM
    01 SS M6

    ^Patriot

  10. #10
    2004 HEAD/CAM CTS-V 9t8z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    doylestown, Pa
    Posts
    6,818

    SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteboycntdnce View Post
    Whats the best way to get quicker throttle response? ... more power from the stand still?
    LS6 intake!

  11. #11
    TunedbyFrost.com Tuner Frost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Richmond VA
    Posts
    2,415

    LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBomber View Post
    ^Patriot

    NO !!!!!!!!

    Budget heads make budget HP. 3 out of 4 setups that I have tuned with those heads, the owners are unhappy with the numbers. That is just not the case with an aftermarket head like the AFR or TFS.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    421

    NBM
    1998Z28

    4.11s dude. Rear gear it!
    Last edited by PFM; 12-11-2007 at 11:17 AM. Reason: add

  13. #13
    2004 HEAD/CAM CTS-V 9t8z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    doylestown, Pa
    Posts
    6,818

    SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

    Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    NO !!!!!!!!

    Budget heads make budget HP. 3 out of 4 setups that I have tuned with those heads, the owners are unhappy with the numbers. That is just not the case with an aftermarket head like the AFR or TFS.
    And why is that?

  14. #14
    Member ApexVIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Modesto, CA
    Posts
    307

    Red
    1998 Camaro Z28

    PP TB helps alot!
    M6, Lid, Ported and Polished Throttle Body (By Me!), LT, Custom Catted Y, Electric Cutout, PHB, LCA13.21@108 with a 2.3 60'

  15. #15
    Just a souped up sunfire. Ryans99LS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Parma Heights, Ohio
    Age
    27
    Posts
    891

    SOM
    99 Trans Am

    i WISH it was an auto... but I got the M6...
    I WISH my car was an M6. Want to trade? not joking either..
    99 TA-T56 swapped, Lid, TB Bypass, LS6 Intake, !EGR, !AIR, Custom Cam, Mids, O/R-Y, 3:73s, Cutout, Flowmaster.
    A4 numbers w/ mids only 320RWHP 333RWTQ
    Cam numbers and track times soon.

    98 NBM Hardtop Formula- Bone stock, A4, 187,000 miles
    13.8@ 103 2.1 60' 1357 DA

  16. #16
    TunedbyFrost.com Tuner Frost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Richmond VA
    Posts
    2,415

    LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

    Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    And why is that?
    why is what? Are you asking why 1200 dollar ported factory heads don't make the numbers that 2400 dollar aftermarket castings do?

    Seriously... if you are recc'ing Patriots I can already assume that you haven't seen any or at least more than one set of these on the rollers.

  17. #17
    2004 HEAD/CAM CTS-V 9t8z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    doylestown, Pa
    Posts
    6,818

    SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

    Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    why is what? Are you asking why 1200 dollar ported factory heads don't make the numbers that 2400 dollar aftermarket castings do?

    Seriously... if you are recc'ing Patriots I can already assume that you haven't seen any or at least more than one set of these on the rollers.
    I asked you what the difference is and you come back with " Obviously you haven't seen one on the rollers!! "

    And I have seen them on the rollers and I do not see a reason to spend 1K more for a few extra ponies! But then again, this is why I asked you because you claim to be a tuner and obviously you know more than me.

    Whats you reasons?

    and what does "recc'ing" mean?

  18. #18
    TunedbyFrost.com Tuner Frost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Richmond VA
    Posts
    2,415

    LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

    Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    I asked you what the difference is and you come back with " Obviously you haven't seen one on the rollers!! "

    And I have seen them on the rollers and I do not see a reason to spend 1K more for a few extra ponies! But then again, this is why I asked you because you claim to be a tuner and obviously you know more than me.

    Whats you reasons?

    and what does "recc'ing" mean?
    I gave the reason for making that post (in the very post) and you asked "why is that"... the rollers comment is because your reply was challenging, and that was an attempt to qualify the comment.
    recc'ing = reccommending

    The majority of the patriot cars I have tuned will make a few more up top than a stock set, and they usually make less down low and through the middle, which is probably because of the overly large runner volume once hogged out. They are all over the place HP wise, each set is different. I tuned an M6, 224/224 112lsa that made 390rwhp with a set of patriot stg 2 heads. The same car made 435 with a set of AFR 205s that had no additional porting, and the AFRs crushed the Patriots through the curve tq-wise. I don't think I have ever seen more than 1 set of Patriots cross the 410rwhp mark out of a dozen or so, and that car had QTP headers, EWP, g5x3 on 114, ported TB, UD pulley, LS6 intake... and made 432rwhp but like I said, that was the only set. I would expect that setup with the AFRs to cross the 450rwhp mark. The top end of your motor is NOT the place to cheap out. Personally if I were on that much of a budget, I would stick to factory 243 castings. I have seen 243s with that same g5x3 on a 114lsa cross the 430rwhp mark with an ls6 intake and 243s on several occasions, and I once bought a new set of 243s complete for $500 off of a forum.

  19. #19
    Senior Member TransAm11973's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    in my Trans Am
    Posts
    2,630

    Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

    ok guys I have heard about PP intakes,...but I just dont see how polishing and taking the opening down a bit it going to make such a big diff that its going to be worth the money,...I need to be schooled I guess. Thanks for your guys input

  20. #20
    2004 HEAD/CAM CTS-V 9t8z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    doylestown, Pa
    Posts
    6,818

    SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

    Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    I gave the reason for making that post (in the very post) and you asked "why is that"... the rollers comment is because your reply was challenging, and that was an attempt to qualify the comment.
    recc'ing = reccommending

    The majority of the patriot cars I have tuned will make a few more up top than a stock set, and they usually make less down low and through the middle, which is probably because of the overly large runner volume once hogged out. They are all over the place HP wise, each set is different. I tuned an M6, 224/224 112lsa that made 390rwhp with a set of patriot stg 2 heads. The same car made 435 with a set of AFR 205s that had no additional porting, and the AFRs crushed the Patriots through the curve tq-wise. I don't think I have ever seen more than 1 set of Patriots cross the 410rwhp mark out of a dozen or so, and that car had QTP headers, EWP, g5x3 on 114, ported TB, UD pulley, LS6 intake... and made 432rwhp but like I said, that was the only set. I would expect that setup with the AFRs to cross the 450rwhp mark. The top end of your motor is NOT the place to cheap out. Personally if I were on that much of a budget, I would stick to factory 243 castings. I have seen 243s with that same g5x3 on a 114lsa cross the 430rwhp mark with an ls6 intake and 243s on several occasions, and I once bought a new set of 243s complete for $500 off of a forum.
    I asked for evidence, and you have given that. uh, thanks...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Half throttle+ causes violent throttle response
    By AKIRA in forum General Help
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-14-2013, 09:26 AM
  2. Quicker Throttle Response Time
    By bhunter0830 in forum General Help
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 08-20-2012, 08:25 PM
  3. How do you adjust the throttle 'response'?
    By excrider121 in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-12-2011, 07:13 PM
  4. throttle response
    By griftymcgrift in forum General Help
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-21-2008, 06:47 PM
  5. Throttle response problems
    By Dave Stubbs in forum General Help
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-12-2006, 09:05 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •