Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Puter
    2002 Z28

How to drain fuel tank

Need to drain the tank on my 2002 Z28. What's the easiest way?

Al

Silver
    2016 Dodge Challenger

Dont know about yours but when I had my 1992 I had to drop the tank and was a pain in the butt.

Want a new car

I wonder if you could disconnect the fuel line like where the filter is and turn the ignition on and let the pump do its thing, probably wont get the last drop. Also thinking you could get at the fuel pump from the access inside the hatch and syphon it out.

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

you can rent siphoning equipment from most part stores, stick it down the neck into the tank, and let it do it's thing....i'm replacing my fuel pump right now, had to pull the tank...fun job, but my dad has a Gas Caddy, so I didn't have to rent.

p.s. there is no drain plug, so don't even look for one

2016 Summit White 1SS - The DD - Mishimoto catch can, Solo axleback & secondary cat delete, LED sidemarkers & reverse lights, head/taillight blackout, RCC custom badges
    2001 NBM Trans Am WS6 - Torquer V2 cam, Yank 3000 stall, Transgo kit, Racetronix fuel pump, TSP LTs, Magnaflow catback, Strano Springs/Koni STR.T shocks, 17x9.5/17x11 TTII's
    2000 Arctic White SS #1667 - Sold

My Typhoon actually had a wire on the firewall from the factory,,,you stuck 12 volts on it and the pump would run,,,,great for draining the tank. And my Nomad has a factory drain plug,,,great idea to have,,,,

I wish these camaros had them,,,don't know why GM stopped doing either of these ideas. In any event,,,I would unhook the fuel line,,,stick a hose on it to direct the fuel right into a can,,,turn the key on and let the pump do it just like suggested,,,,of course that is if the pump is still working????

Of course these things never die when you are conveniently low on gas,,,,and with a dead pump you can't use it to pump it out either,,,,lol.

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

Typhoons rock!!! A woman's husband that I work with has one, those things look so cool for little Jimmy's...it's in damn good shape too

Puter
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang=Breakfast View Post
    you can rent siphoning equipment from most part stores, stick it down the neck into the tank, and let it do it's thing....i'm replacing my fuel pump right now, had to pull the tank...fun job, but my dad has a Gas Caddy, so I didn't have to rent.

So there is no anti rollover valve in the filler neck?

Al

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

Go to sears and spend $18.00 on a Craftsman Siphon System It's kind of a pain to use but once you get it working it'll do the job.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I didn't think the check ball in the filler neck would let you syphon gas the old way. I personally haven't had to drain mine, I just ran it near empty before pulling the tank. I would either pull the line off going into the filter or put a line on the end of the fuel rail and use the pump to empty it. You pull the shrader valve and put a piece of hose there then jump the pump at the fuse block and let it run. Probalby not the easiest thing to do for the pump but it'll work.

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

When I installed my racetronix fuel pump I used that craftsman siphon kit. After a bit of wrestling with it I got it to work just fine and emptied out the tank so I could drop it. But as far as I can tell there wasn't any check ball. I could be wrong but don't they only put check valves on trucks and suv's?

red
    1999 trans am convert

Service manual says to use siphon type tool.Do not try to use pump itself to run it out or it could damage pump.There is no check valve but a flapper door kinda thing.If I had to do fuel pump I would seriously consider cutting a floorboard access hole.I've seen info on the web that shows exactly where to cut to be perfectly positioned over pump!

Quote Originally Posted by edbird View Post
    Service manual says to use siphon type tool.Do not try to use pump itself to run it out or it could damage pump.There is no check valve but a flapper door kinda thing.If I had to do fuel pump I would seriously consider cutting a floorboard access hole.I've seen info on the web that shows exactly where to cut to be perfectly positioned over pump!
    Well the only reason I ever drain the tank to remove it is when I am changing the pump anyway,,,,so why would one be worried about damaging it???? Or is it just me???? I've done it this way for years

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

I couldn't bring myself to cut into my baby...just seemed wrong to me....on the other hand, if I ever have to change my fuel pump again in the next 100,000 miles, I may consider it if I'm working alone...with help it only took about 1 1/2 hours to get it out....now i'm waiting on the right pump, because O'reilly's is reeeeeeetarded. I got one on eBay brand new for 180.00 instead of the O'reilly's 361.99...Definately worth the wait, and still comes with a one year warranty, BAM.

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

Just use a 22 and make your own drain plug!!! HAHA O wait I forgot about the Big BANG that might make!!

red
    1999 trans am convert

Well the only reason I ever drain the tank to remove it is when I am changing the pump anyway,,,,so why would one be worried about damaging it???? Or is it just me???? I've done it this way for years
    Firebirdjones: Ok,good point!

Quote Originally Posted by edbird View Post
    Firebirdjones: Ok,good point!
    Sorry I wasn't trying to sound critical,,,I thought maybe I was missing something,,,another reason to remove the tank maybe?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Sorry I wasn't trying to sound critical,,,I thought maybe I was missing something,,,another reason to remove the tank maybe?
    you don't pull yours every year to clean the top of it off???

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    you don't pull yours every year to clean the top of it off???
    Damn you just reminded me,,,,now I have to get busy Thanks Orion, I knew I could count on you.

Puter
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang=Breakfast View Post

Can't get a siphon hose down the filler neck. Tried two different hoses, both hit something 22 1/2 inches down. Disconnected the inlet to the filter and jumped the fuel pump relay. Made a big mess and discovered my sneaker's soles melt in gasoline

Thanks for all the ideas,

Al

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by 2002Zapper View Post
    Can't get a siphon hose down the filler neck. Tried two different hoses, both hit something 22 1/2 inches down. Disconnected the inlet to the filter and jumped the fuel pump relay. Made a big mess and discovered my sneaker's soles melt in gasoline

Thanks for all the ideas,

Al
    several feet of fuel line hose, a clamp, and a bucket would've saved the mess. At least you got her empty though.

Thread Information