1981 g-Body

How do you jump start a car...

with a chain? Not jumper cables but a chain(maybe two). I know it can be done, i just can't remember how.

It's probably a real easy answer and it bugs me that i can't remember.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Hook up the chain to the frame of the car -tow it w/another vehicle and dump the clutch on 2nd gear w/the key on.

1981 g-Body

Quote Originally Posted by 02z28ls1
    Hook up the chain to the frame of the car -tow it w/another vehicle and dump the clutch on 2nd gear w/the key on.
    Yea that would work but i'm so sure there's another way to do it too.

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28 M6

You mean POP-start??
    We do that all the time for my buddys iroc.

If you have a manual tranny only - Real Simple

OH and towing it with another car to substitute the people is DANGEROUS when you pop the car it will jerk a little, it always, does if the person towing doesnt exactly match your movement you'll be getting drug or end up rearending him real quick!!

1.Keys in ignition turned to point where they sit when car is running
    2.Place car in 1st or 2nd gear (takes a few tries to learn where your good at it)
    3.Have somepeople or a strong person push you. You dont need to be going 30MPH or anything we usually do it at 10mph.
    3.Once up to speed let out the clutch in gear steady and quickly. Don't pop it you will just shudder to a stop, let it out quick and smooth and you will turn the engine right over.

It sounds complicated but its real simple. This will work as long as you have the keys.
    My buddys iroc has a problem with the VAT system and the car will not recognise that his key is in the ignition system so it will not turn over.
    Last edited by WinSomeLoseNone; 03-03-2006 at 08:36 AM.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

It's not that difficult to bypass the VATS system,much easier than pop-starting. I was being a little sarcastic there-I really don't understand what the guys trying to get at. What do you mean "start it with a chain???" How-bout this--wrap the chain around the crank pulley and yank really hard!! We need more info on what you are trying to do or something.

1981 g-Body

What do you mean "start it with a chain???" How-bout this--wrap the chain around the crank pulley and yank really hard!! We need more info on what you are trying to do or something.

Alright, i'll tell you the story-i'll sound like a real doosh bag but whatever.

When i was like 5/6 years old, my mommy's old 80s Mercury Cougar(automatic) died in the post office parking lot, and wouldn't turn over cause the battery was dead(this was in the winter). So some good samaritan came by and hooked up a steel chain to the battery(i think it was the battery)(maybe there was 2 chains involved) of his truck and my mom's car, and boom, the Cougar started. There was no pulling or pushing the car involved.

I was talking to my mom the other day and it^^ came up. This happened about 15 years ago and neither of us can remember.

Is that enough info?

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Wow-that's a wierd story,but I know how those old mysteries keep coming up.It is possible for chains to transmit electricity,but I don't know why you would try to jump start something with them. You would have to keep the positive connection from shorting to ground, and by touching the bumpers of the cars together(if they are metal) you could get by with one chain only. It's a long shot but might work in an emergency. I've never heard of anyone even trying it before but maybe the guy was just being resourceful with what he had at hand. Sounds like the details will be lost to the mists of time,but it will be something for you and your mother to ponder about for a long time. I would recommend a set of jumper cables for future use.

1981 g-Body

It is possible for chains to transmit electricity,but I don't know why you would try to jump start something with them. You would have to keep the positive connection from shorting to ground, and by touching the bumpers of the cars together(if they are metal) you could get by with one chain only. It's a long shot but might work in an emergency. I've never heard of anyone even trying it before but maybe the guy was just being resourceful with what he had at hand. Sounds like the details will be lost to the mists of time,but it will be something for you and your mother to ponder about for a long time. I would recommend a set of jumper cables for future use.
    Awesome man! I think you solved the mystery.
    Now i'll be able to sleep at night.

Thanks a bunch.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

yeah I've seen it done by touching bumpers and using a chain between positives, i was about to answer the ? lol. When you're from a dumb hillbilly family in Texas, you see some CRAZY things

1981 g-Body

Quote Originally Posted by z_driver1
    When you're from a dumb hillbilly family in Texas, you see some CRAZY things
    LOL yeah i bet.

black
    97 6-speed corvette

Quote Originally Posted by z_driver1
    yeah I've seen it done by touching bumpers and using a chain between positives, i was about to answer the ? lol. When you're from a dumb hillbilly family in Texas, you see some CRAZY things
    This "would" work (of course steel bumpers) crazy as it sounds, one chain would do nothing if the cars were not touching. Don`t ever use jumper cables (two cables) and then then have the cars touching metal to metal.

1981 g-Body

Quote Originally Posted by 502ci
    Don`t ever use jumper cables (two cables) and then then have the cars touching metal to metal.
    Yep, i know.

Thread Information