Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z28

How do I Diagnose Problem w/ Traction Ctrl.

I've a 1999 Camaro Z28, Manual 6 Trans. and about 76K miles.

Within a few seconds of driving the car, my "Trac Disabled" light comes on. Basically, the electronic traction control in the car shuts itself off once I start driving. I can start the car, not move it and the light stays off. I can back out of my driveway in reverse and all is OK. But as soon as I start moving forward, within a few seconds, I get the light. Sure enough, I can spin the tires freely. Other wierd thing is that, If I gun the engine before the light comes on, the traction control system seems to work. Actually, I loose all ability to accelerate for a few seconds and then the "Trac Disabled" light comes on and I'm free to go.

Is this a common problem, is there a sensor, fluid, part or computer thing I need to do?

Thanks!

Wow thats strange - only thing I can think of is check the sensor plug/wires at each rear wheel to make sure one isn't loose or something...and the brake fluid it topped off. I'll see if my helms has any clues.

black
    1998 z28 camaro

I have sorta the same problem. except my traction control on my 98 z m6 doesn't come on ever.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

Im not sure but I thought there use to be a mod you could get that would disable your TCS automatically like you guys are talking about. Did you guys buy your car used? If so may be the previous owner put that mod on. But then again I am not sure if there is such a mod. Honestly cant remember. Sorry I know I wasnt much help. Just throwing in some nonsense.

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z28

Appreciate your responce wheeler. My TCS did work for several years and thousands of miles. But after sitting for several weeks last winter, it started mis-operating as I indicated above. Anyway, just trying to see if anyone else had had this problem - figured out how to fix it - or had advice for me as to how to track this down...

black
    1998 z28 camaro

Mine stopped working period after I tried to do a burnout and forgot to turn it off. shame on me.

me.

and I've looked at fuses, relays, and even have a camaro book. but the book doesn't tell me crap about the ASR system. kinda makes me mad. buy a book and when you get it and open it there's nothing there about the system you need to fix. ARGH

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z28

Well, think of it this way Boxmonkey. You've now saved me a bunch of time and wasted effort. I've done just minimal investigation of the problem. Now that I know I probably won't find anything with a more complete investigation, I can just kick back. You're Aces in my book!

Thread Information