Black
    2000 Camaro Z28

Question how do i check the fuel pressure?

i need to see if my pump is losing power and im being told to check the pressure on the fuel rail. what spot on the rail do i do this from? and what kind of gauge do i need? is it something i can get from autozone?

Quote Originally Posted by f16z28 View Post
    i need to see if my pump is losing power and im being told to check the pressure on the fuel rail. what spot on the rail do i do this from? and what kind of gauge do i need? is it something i can get from autozone?
    Yes you can buy them at autozone or just about any other part store chain. Roughly $30 or so. There will be a shrader valve on the fuel rail,,,should have a screw on cap much like a valve stem only slightly larger.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

like he said, it's very similar to a valve stem on the end of the drivers side rail. Hook it up and turn the key on and see where your pressure goes and then let it sit for a minute or two to make sure it's holding pressure. Then start the car and let it idle and make sure you have ~58psi at idle.

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28

Talking

it works! i hooked it up and left the key in on for 2 min it started off at around 52 and rose to 60. and when i started it it stayed at 60 and didn't budge. i changed the fuel filter and added NOS octane booster before i did this also. im starting to think i had a clogged fuel filter. i was also using 87. i filled it up yesterday with 91

Quote Originally Posted by f16z28 View Post
    it works! i hooked it up and left the key in on for 2 min it started off at around 52 and rose to 60. and when i started it it stayed at 60 and didn't budge. i changed the fuel filter and added NOS octane booster before i did this also. im starting to think i had a clogged fuel filter. i was also using 87. i filled it up yesterday with 91
    Good deal,,,,thats alot easier than dropping the tank for no reason,,,eh???? Sounds like a strong pump to me.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

don't run cheap ass gas in the car. Normally the difference around here from 87 to 93 is about 20 cents. It's not the crisis people make it out to be. When you fill up from dead empty the difference is ~$3. I can find $3 in the couch cushion.

16gallons x $3= $48 a tank
    16gallons x $3.20 - $51.20 a tank

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    don't run cheap ass gas in the car. Normally the difference around here from 87 to 93 is about 20 cents. It's not the crisis people make it out to be. When you fill up from dead empty the difference is ~$3. I can find $3 in the couch cushion.

16gallons x $3= $48 a tank
    16gallons x $3.20 - $51.20 a tank
    You are right Orion,,,I agree completely. I was never one to get hung up on the gas prices. I run 94 octane around here, been using that stuff for 20+ years so I am used to paying higher than most.

94 octane has been over $3.00 a gallon for years, long before pee water 87....I don't even use that in my tractor. So the price hike in gas hasn't really affected me as much as those that run the cheaper stuff. I've been used to the cost for a long time now.

But thats a good point Orion,,,,differences in octane costs here are only .10 cents,,,,it's not enough to warrant running cheap gas in a performance car. You're talking a couple bucks per fillup,,,just cut out the twinkies and your there

Thread Information