Thread: How can I tell?

2000 Trans Am

How can I tell?

How can I tell if my egr is functioning properly. besides the SES light, is there some type of test I can do myself? Want to make sure it is functioning right before getting my smog test. The Stealership wants $45.00 just to test it......
    2000 Arctic White trans am, ws6 hood, ws6 air box, slp lid, slp smooth bellows, slp loudmouth exhaust,shift kit, rebuilt trans, LS6 intake, 3.73 gears, Shaner S3 p/p throttle body, and a tune . SFC. C6 ZO6 rims 18" in back 17" in front. Drilled and slotted rotors.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

On older style EGR valves you could see the rod move. Once warmed up, you would simply rev the engine up to around 1,500 or 2,000 rpm, hold it for a few seconds and then let off. Upon letting off, you could see the rod move if the EGR was functioning correctly. Not sure if you can even visualize it on the newer EGR valves. A malfunctioning EGR should trigger the SES.

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    On older style EGR valves you could see the rod move. Once warmed up, you would simply rev the engine up to around 1,500 or 2,000 rpm, hold it for a few seconds and then let off. Upon letting off, you could see the rod move if the EGR was functioning correctly. Not sure if you can even visualize it on the newer EGR valves. A malfunctioning EGR should trigger the SES.
    Is there any tube I can pull off and the car studder, so i know it's working. thats all they do with my 85 toyota, or do they have to hook the computer up to it to verify it's working on the newer egr valves?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    Is there any tube I can pull off and the car studder, so i know it's working. thats all they do with my 85 toyota, or do they have to hook the computer up to it to verify it's working on the newer egr valves?

Not sure. I know what you mean though-- opening up the EGR at idle should cause the engine to stumble and run poorly.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

If your EGR was not working, your PCM will know, and it will turn on the check engine light. The PCM tests it occasionally.

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    If your EGR was not working, your PCM will know, and it will turn on the check engine light. The PCM tests it occasionally.
    LOL, i had the codes deleted so that is why i am asking if there is a way to check it without the SES light

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

O I C! So, that was your code, for an EGR issue?

2000 Trans Am

O I C! So, that was your code, for an EGR issue?
    Yeh but I removed the egr so that is why I got the code.....now i'm going to reinstall it.....hence my original post

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Well then, if you reinstall it, then drive it for a couple weeks or so before the emissions check and the light remains off, you should be golden. As in, you live in the Golden State, right? My brother once corrected my wife when we visited CA in July, she remarked that everything is so brown. He kind of laughed, and said "it's golden, not brown."

2000 Trans Am

Well then, if you reinstall it, then drive it for a couple weeks or so before the emissions check and the light remains off, you should be golden. As in, you live in the Golden State, right? My brother once corrected my wife when we visited CA in July, she remarked that everything is so brown. He kind of laughed, and said "it's golden, not brown."
    I don't think the light can come on because it was removed by my tuner......am i running around in circles here all i want to know is there a way to check if it is working without using the obd II scanner, like a functional check i can do at home?

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Not any easy way that I know of. It's a 5 wire connector to the EGR, right? If you had access to wiring diagrams, you could ground the proper wire to see if the engine starts to sound like a mean cam at idle. What about this, AutoZone or some places like that will do a free scan. Tell them that your light came on, and ask if any codes are stored. Also, since your light won't come on, won't that be an instant fail in Cali? It should come on for a 2 second bulb check....

2000 Trans Am

Not any easy way that I know of. It's a 5 wire connector to the EGR, right? If you had access to wiring diagrams, you could ground the proper wire to see if the engine starts to sound like a mean cam at idle. What about this, AutoZone or some places like that will do a free scan. Tell them that your light came on, and ask if any codes are stored. Also, since your light won't come on, won't that be an instant fail in Cali? It should come on for a 2 second bulb check....
    the light will come on, but it will not if there is an egr problem, it is set to no report.......

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Well, maybe you could go somewhere where they could do a loaded emissions check on your vehicle before you go for the emissions check? They can use an exhaust probe that would tell if your NOX is too high. Not free, but it should tell you whether or not your EGR is functioning. NOX would be too high if the EGR isn't working correct or the 3-way convertor is not working either.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I'm not sure if a tech 2 can read the egr pintle position or not. I'm assuming it can and that's why the dealership said they could test it. If cutlass doesn't reply shoot him a PM and ask him if they can read the pintle position. I wouldn't think the dmv would check if it's actually working though.... I would think they'd just look for the codes and what not and call it good if there are none. Not sure though cuz I've never had to do the e-check.....thank god.

2000 Trans Am

Well, maybe you could go somewhere where they could do a loaded emissions check on your vehicle before you go for the emissions check? They can use an exhaust probe that would tell if your NOX is too high. Not free, but it should tell you whether or not your EGR is functioning. NOX would be too high if the EGR isn't working correct or the 3-way convertor is not working either.
    Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I'm not sure if a tech 2 can read the egr pintle position or not. I'm assuming it can and that's why the dealership said they could test it. If cutlass doesn't reply shoot him a PM and ask him if they can read the pintle position. I wouldn't think the dmv would check if it's actually working though.... I would think they'd just look for the codes and what not and call it good if there are none. Not sure though cuz I've never had to do the e-check.....thank god.
    I talked to the guy that is going to do the smog here in town he said that i could stop by and he would run the test to let me know if i will fail or not. He's not going to do the actual smog check just going to hook something up to let me know so that's better then nothing i think.~Chris

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yep...that sounds like the way to go. See if you can talk ($$$$$) him into checking the box that says "passed" on it while you're there.

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    yep...that sounds like the way to go. See if you can talk ($$$$$) him into checking the box that says "passed" on it while you're there.
    LOL shouldn't have a problem passing, but if it comes down to it i just may do that lol

Thread Information