Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

How can I silence my exhaust at start-up?

This is a discussion on How can I silence my exhaust at start-up? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 Originally Posted by cammed goat My neighbor calls my car his "alarm clock" as he knows ...

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    My neighbor calls my car his "alarm clock" as he knows when to wake up...when I start my car.

I have been stopped occasionally to be told my car is a little on the loud side...but sounds nice. I'm thinking about ordering a skip-shift eliminator so I can short-shift again to keep Johnny Law happy.
    My neighbors hate how loud my car is. Now after my rebuild is complete they will hate it even more lol. 230/238 camshaft LTs and LM1 through a 396.
    Noice!!

extreme dimensions, driveshaft shop, harrop, hid(35watt/6k) lows, hurst, k&n, led fogs, maverick man, mishimoto, nitto, revshift, slp, stern st-1, smoked sidemarkers, whiteline poly radius rod bushings

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

My neighbors hate how loud my car is. Now after my rebuild is complete they will hate it even more lol. 230/238 camshaft LTs and LM1 through a 396.
    Any neighbor who doesn't appreciate that is a prius civic hugging hippie! hehehe

Alex look at getting a cutout. Preferably electric, but manual will do just fine. Don't get DMH, I had a really bad experience with them and lost a good amount of money.
    SMWS6TA likes this.
    2014 Camaro: Check. 2SS: Check. 1LE: Check. 6 Speed manual? CHECK

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrillakilla13 View Post
    Any neighbor who doesn't appreciate that is a prius civic hugging hippie! hehehe

Alex look at getting a cutout. Preferably electric, but manual will do just fine. Don't get DMH, I had a really bad experience with them and lost a good amount of money.
    You just summed up most if my neighbors. I have a couple that like muscle cars but most drive a prius.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

To the OP: Invest in some sound deadening headphones/ear muffs and pass them out to said neighbors that are bitching.

Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by BigTeddy254 View Post
    man screw that i put 3/34 stainless straights on every ls i have had. best sound ever and if ppl hate it then thats too bad cuz it dont get no better soundin than that my friends, cops check em but i welded a glasspack over my stainless to look like a muffler hehehe and it has a plus if ppl arent paying attention or on their phone drivin like crap give em a ear full right beside em and watch em freak the f out and give em a tsk tsk tsk lmfao LS trolling is the best
    I love doing that if I pass someone and notice them texting or doing anything other than watching the road.

I'll throw it in neutral and toss a rev or two at them. I've got straight pipes so it's pretty loud and I love it.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

^ I agree

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

You just summed up most if my neighbors. I have a couple that like muscle cars but most drive a prius.
    Did you decide on what you're gonna do then?

Dude that sucks. I'm moving next year to a home that's up in steep hills, so i'm sure i'll be in the same boat as you pretty soon

Black/ Silver

Dude that sucks. I'm moving next year to a home that's up in steep hills, so i'm sure i'll be in the same boat as you pretty soon
    I don't care what my neighbors think so I am just going to go with what I have. They can't really do anything legally here since the LM1 counts as a muffler here. I really want to move in the middle of nowhere though so I don't have to get the dirty looks lol. They'll just have to deal with hearing my 396 through my LM1 and LTs.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

man that sucks that you are having issues with the noise. I have borla exhaust in my car(it came with it) and its kinda of cool to have the different plates to quiet down the system. I keep it open all the time anyway but if ever do headers and need to quiet down I guess is an option.
    1998 TA 130k A4, LS6 intake, TunedByFrost, Airlid, AIR and EGR delete, Borla exhaust, front Eibach lowering springs, LS6 valley cover, UMI TQ arm, UMI LCA's, UMI panhard bar, Poly engine mounts, BMR relocation brackets, Blistein HD shocks and struts, Oil catch can, Autotrix window fix.

Now I have an 2001 F150 5.4L

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I don't care what my neighbors think so I am just going to go with what I have. They can't really do anything legally here since the LM1 counts as a muffler here. I really want to move in the middle of nowhere though so I don't have to get the dirty looks lol. They'll just have to deal with hearing my 396 through my LM1 and LTs.
    They've never been into cars or turned wrenches in their life, it seems. Pitiful imo.

black
    00 maro ss

Ya my friend has gone thru soo many of the cutouts in his f body and 10ss and he never got cheap ones. just a minor ping will f it up.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

No warranty?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

I can't wait till the day I crank mine up for the first time since Nov 2012.

6L with 243 heads, Polluter Stage III cam (239/244 112+2 LSA), LT's, I'm leaving the muffler off, dumping it at the axle till I can get the cutout weld in.

I think I'll do it at 6am, just like First Call & Reveille (gotta be a current or formal Vet to understand)

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Loud enough to piss off the dead.

Navy Blue Metallic

It's been in the garage so long that I've had neighbors ask if I've sold the bird.

I tell them it's like every phoenix, it has it sleep cycles and then it's active cycles. When it is reborn you'll know

Currently looking at QT 3" e-cutout....

Navy Blue Metallic

Loud enough to piss off the dead.
    I haven't figure out what was worse when hung over......hearing that first thing in the morning or having a C5 land 1000 meters from your bed.

Black/ Silver

I can't wait till the day I crank mine up for the first time since Nov 2012.

6L with 243 heads, Polluter Stage III cam (239/244 112+2 LSA), LT's, I'm leaving the muffler off, dumping it at the axle till I can get the cutout weld in.

I think I'll do it at 6am, just like First Call & Reveille (gotta be a current or formal Vet to understand)

Maybe I'll crank mine up for the first time at 6 am as well and see the dirty looks I get then lol.

black
    00 maro ss

No warranty?
    ya he had it replaced by wrnte several times but if he bottomed out and the slide was stuck or cracked they wouldnt.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Ah. Yeah, that can fall under neglect/abuse.

black
    00 maro ss

Ah. Yeah, that can fall under neglect/abuse.
    Ya it was always like a railroad or something totally lame like that

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

They've never been into cars or turned wrenches in their life, it seems. Pitiful imo.
    Yeah, Hard to argue with that.

Screw them and their dirty looks. I wouldn't worry about it lol unless you leave at like 6 am every morning. Otherwise they can deal with it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information