How to build my ls1

This is a discussion on How to build my ls1 within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Ok guys, I've heard this is the place to go for information on ls1 cars and I need help! I'm ...

Black/ silver
    1998 trans am

Question How to build my ls1

Ok guys, I've heard this is the place to go for information on ls1 cars and I need help! I'm currently pulling my 138xxx mile ls1 and I'm wanting to beef it up a lil bit. I still want it to be a daily driver but I'd like it to hurt people at the stop light. I'm thinking turbo for sure and I've already ordered an 101mm typhoon intake and MAF. But what should I do internally? I've been told to stroke it and change my heads, port and polish. I'm on a budget but I have saved a lil for this rebuild. Any help would be great. And brands of items are also appreciated. Maybe prices too. Thanks, Ty

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

See if you can get your money back for the MAF, as aftermarket ones have been known to cause issues. The intake and throttlebody are a good start. Look into long tube headers and a y-pipe. You could delete the emmisions also, if you don't have testing where you are. A cam is also a good addition. A lot is going to depend on what your budget will allow. Modding is a dangerous thing, in that it becomes addictive. It's hard to stop once you start.

However, if you plan on adding power, you will need to support the drivetrain to handle it. That would include subframe connectors, torque arm, rear end, suspension, ect. If you don't build the drivetrain first, you will spend more time fixing broken components than driving the car.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Good advice, would also tell you of your thinking of turbos or cama you should also look into saving for a bigger rear end as it is the biggest weak spot in these cars.

NBM
    2000 Trans Am Ws6 #2946

Knight is right on about the MAF, send it back. I had an aftermarket one for a long time, and finally found that it kept running me lean at WOT. The stock is plenty fine up to 500HP at least.

Tighten up your suspenstion and DT. Then go Cam, headers and exhaust and a tune. That will pretty much make you able to best 75% of what's out there on the street. Later add heads, or if you have the money, do all those together and really kill out there.
    2000 WS6 TA #2946 - A4, Best 1/4: 12.5s @111mph.
    SLP LTs, 228r Cam, SY 3500, Shift kit, LS6 intake, underdrive pulleys, lid, p&p TB, Borla w/ cutout, Pro-kit springs, poly all around, Hotchkis suspension, 3.90 gears, tuned.

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Quote Originally Posted by Tylumpy View Post
    Ok guys, I've heard this is the place to go for information on ls1 cars and I need help! I'm currently pulling my 138xxx mile ls1 and I'm wanting to beef it up a lil bit. I still want it to be a daily driver but I'd like it to hurt people at the stop light. I'm thinking turbo for sure and I've already ordered an 101mm typhoon intake and MAF. But what should I do internally? I've been told to stroke it and change my heads, port and polish. I'm on a budget but I have saved a lil for this rebuild. Any help would be great. And brands of items are also appreciated. Maybe prices too. Thanks, Ty
    Your best bet if your pulling the engine would be to replace your LS1 with a 6L cast iron truck block.

Someone will buy your old LS1 engine for more than you would pay for the 6L.

All your current accesories(alt,ps,ac) will bolt up to the 6L.

Get new pistons and rods and reuse the truck crank.

Your starting with a bigger stronger block so your only limited in power by your budget and cylinder head choice.

The cylinder heads are where your going to make the power so get yourself some real good flowing ones.

There is also a better selection of heads for the larger bore blocks.

Good luck with your build.

Black
    1999 Z-28 LS1

Transamtom:

Now if you use a 6L block, when you put it all back together, are you still able to use the LS1 computer, and just get it re-tuned?

Thanks

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Quote Originally Posted by oharam View Post
    Transamtom:

Now if you use a 6L block, when you put it all back together, are you still able to use the LS1 computer, and just get it re-tuned?

Thanks
    Yes you would send the computer out for a base tune to get it running and then get it dyno tuned to get the right A/F and such.

All the electronics are the same,all your wiring harness,injector plugs,ect.

A few friends of mine built their LS1 Aluminum blocks and later had to go CI truck.

I have learned from their errors.

Black/ silver
    1998 trans am

Any brands of turbos and heads?

Black
    1999 Z-28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by transamtom View Post
    Yes you would send the computer out for a base tune to get it running and then get it dyno tuned to get the right A/F and such.

All the electronics are the same,all your wiring harness,injector plugs,ect.

A few friends of mine built their LS1 Aluminum blocks and later had to go CI truck.

I have learned from their errors.
    Thanks, and you answered my other concerns with the harness, and the external pieces.

Thanks!
    1999 Camaro Z-28 LS1 M6
    Cam, Heads, Exhaust

Thread Information