Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

How To: Breather Filter Conversion

This is a discussion on How To: Breather Filter Conversion within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Rivi where do you come up with this stuff?do you have any idea how much water vapor ...

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Rivi View Post
    where do you come up with this stuff?do you have any idea how much water vapor is in air?do you know what emulsion is?how do you think water vapor can pass through those filters mixed with oil?1 cup of water(MINIMUM) per gallon of gas in the CRANKCASE.i can see by your posts you follow alot of wifes tales without using any real knowledge of what you are discussing.seriously if you are really interested in autos and want to work on them take a course at a community college or some other type of schooling.if you really want to comment on this,figure out how much air is mixed with 1 gallon of fuel @ 70 degees @ 50% humidity and tell me how much water vapor was ingested into the engine and @ 12% cylinder leakage how much of that water vapor went into the cranckcase.you figure that out and talk some real science and i'll listen!
    Wow dude your numbes are off the wall.

So you're saying that 1 CUP of water minimum is pushed into the crankcase for every gallon of gas burned.

Going by this bullshit theory, that means that after burning a tank full of gas, I'd have 15 fucking cups of water in the crankcase. Not only would there would be water gushing out the oil dipstick, but if I had the PCV connected, that would mean all that water would be getting pulled into the engine. It wouldn't even run. Thats the dumbest shit I've ever heard. Yet when I pull my dipstick, there isn't any water on it whatsoever. You can tell if there is, because the oil will be beaded up where the water is sitting on the dipstick. Are you making this up as you go?? Damn...

Water evaporates as the engine warms up. As water vapor heats up, it rises to the top of the motor. From there is either burns up or evaporates through the breather filters. Hence the term "breather".

When you actually have some hands on experience with engines, and realize that your theorys aren't even remotely possible, come back and talk.

Impounded

Red
    99 TA

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Wow dude your numbes are off the wall.

So you're saying that 1 CUP of water minimum is pushed into the crankcase for every gallon of gas burned.

Going by this bullshit theory, that means that after burning a tank full of gas, I'd have 15 fucking cups of water in the crankcase. Not only would there would be water gushing out the oil dipstick, but if I had the PCV connected, that would mean all that water would be getting pulled into the engine. It wouldn't even run. Thats the dumbest shit I've ever heard. Yet when I pull my dipstick, there isn't any water on it whatsoever. You can tell if there is, because the oil will be beaded up where the water is sitting on the dipstick. Are you making this up as you go?? Damn...

Water evaporates as the engine warms up. As water vapor heats up, it rises to the top of the motor. From there is either burns up or evaporates through the breather filters. Hence the term "breather".

When you actually have some hands on experience with engines, and realize that your theorys aren't even remotely possible, come back and talk.
    pumper

Red
    2000 Z28

I have ran high compression engines, like an LS1, with a breather filter and no pcv, and I had a lot of blowby coming out of the breather filter. Seemed to be better with a pcv. That's just what I've experienced.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy77611 View Post
    I have ran high compression engines, like an LS1, with a breather filter and no pcv, and I had a lot of blowby coming out of the breather filter. Seemed to be better with a pcv. That's just what I've experienced.
    I'd say its better for that blowby to escape immediately through the breathers though, instead of being trapped inside the crankcase until the PCV sucks it out, no??

Red
    2000 Z28

I guess I just felt better about it, because of all of the smoke coming out of the breather with no pcv. Seemed to suck the "atmosphere" out of the crankcase better with pcv.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy77611 View Post
    I guess I just felt better about it, because of all of the smoke coming out of the breather with no pcv. Seemed to suck the "atmosphere" out of the crankcase better with pcv.
    It definitely does.

Its "positive" (vacuum) ventilation instead of just standard ventilation without the vacuum. Either method allows the crankcase to breathe and releases blow-by gasses though.

This is some funny stuff, rivi i have no idea where you are coming with the water crap. Wesman im with you i like the breather and no pcv system. Thats what i have always done on my cars. The main reason i went to breathers on the ls1 is because of the bad design of the pcv on them. I think i would rather deal with the problems of breathers, which i cant see any, than be burning oil which can lead to detenation problems, plug problems and bad preformance, that just my opinion, heres a interesting engine build where they went to breathers>>>>>>>>>http://www.gmhightechperformance.com..._engine_build/

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I was glad to see this thread go the first time

There were several good points brought up by both sides but lets try to keep it a little more under control this time around.

The question I have is for the guys running filters. Do you notice anymore grime in the engine bay than before the filters? I would think there would be a little more grime in there do to a little oil spray in there from the filters. Just curious.

Le Mans Blue
    2004 Z16

FWIW, I have the oil-fill vent filters and was going to remove my PCV system. I too have oil in the intake and was worried about fouling and det/pre-ignition (especially with the nitrous). Both of my shops recommended against it unless it was going to be a dedicated track car. It looks like a catch can is in my future (sigh). Just my $.02...
    Wesman- let me know how things work out as I'm definitely interested in your results.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post

The question I have is for the guys running filters. Do you notice anymore grime in the engine bay than before the filters? I would think there would be a little more grime in there do to a little oil spray in there from the filters. Just curious.

Well I have a total of 3 breather filters on my engine - one on each valvecover, and one on the oil cap. Can't say I've noticed any extra grime or oil in the engine bay. What happens is the vapors and moisture escape through the filters, when the motor is really hot you can see it burning off. Never had any actual liquid come out of any of the filters. You can also smell it burning off after running it hard, but its not too bad at all.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by danziger View Post
    Wesman- let me know how things work out as I'm definitely interested in your results.
    I've been running breathers for months now, and its been working out well. There is no yellow sludge in the oil cap or on the dipstick, the oil seems normal (no visible moisture or gel), and of course there is no oil in the intake - period.

The only downside is that the breathers don't look too nice, and you get the crankcase vapor smell after running the motor hard. Still much better than burning oil through the PCV system and coating the inside of the intake with oil, IMO.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information