How to Bleed the Brake Fluid

This is a discussion on How to Bleed the Brake Fluid within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Well to be short im leaving for Japan next month and will be gone another month + a week or ...

Black
    1998 Chevrolet Camaro SS

Question How to Bleed the Brake Fluid

Well to be short im leaving for Japan next month and will be gone another month + a week or two. I need to change the brake fluid before I leave. I went out the other day and cleaned my engine bay and seen that the fluid was looking rather dirty (Although full). I read as much as I could about bleeding it and what I know is... Get two people... take a 2X4 and put it under the brake pedal so you don't damage your master cylinder. Crack the bleeder, let fluid/air run out, close bleeder then assistant releases brakes... fill fluid up, pump brakes agian, hold...crack bleeder fluid/air comes out etc etc etc. Repeat this process untill no air comes out, and you see the new fluid? Also start from RR, LR, RF, LF and work your way back to the ABS module starting from the farthest. Now with all of this said...is there anything im missing? I would like to know more details if possible...or if anyone can provide them. Any other tips for storing a car for that long? I was thinking about having my roomate going out and starting it up once a week for around 30 minutes....but I guess the trans, rear diff, brakes, and driveshaft gets no way of getting lubed/worked out...Any advice would be greatly appreciated though!

Thanks

Black
    1996 Camaro Z28 vert

That will work. If you are going to be away for that long why dont you just do it after you get back? If you go to a good shop they have a machine that will flush the entire system. Some fuel stabilizer would be a good idea too. If you have a battery tender that will keep the battery good. Then when you come home start it and drive for a little while and then have the oil changed.

Black
    1998 Chevrolet Camaro SS

Mmmm I thought it was good to change the fluid before you leave because of the chemicals in the oil can cause deterioration inside your vehicle? Actually all fluids...I know im going to do the brakes because that stuff is dirty, and if it can fix my problems I can save major money on rotors + pads. I am pretty sure they are still good and don't have the money to buy new ones right now. Yeah I know the battery tip, but I don't have one...thats why I am debating on whether or not to have my roomate go out and start it up once in awhile. I just don't trust HER....sometimes...especiallly when she always tells me she likes my car, and wants one. (Too bad she drives her POS Toyota Celica )

98 Formula
    06 duramax

sounds like you have it pretty well figured out. You could start by syphoning out the fluid in the master cylinder and putting fresh in there so you get clean fluid through the lines faster. I've never looked into having brakes pressure bled by a shop so I'm not sure how much it would cost but it would be way faster and easier.

Thread Information