Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ratdaddy07

how acurate is G-tech

My car just did a 12.18 at 125 mph on the G-tech on the street. Spinning and feathering the gas all through 1st. I have been told G-tech will put the mph a few to high. That doesn't add up to me if it mph's to high then how does it get the 1/4 time right? I would be happy with even 120 mph because with all motor that is a speed which says the car may be capable of at least a low 11 when the traction is right. Eitherwhoo if anyone is more familiar with the G-tech, let me know what you know, you know?

SOM
    '01 Camaro SS

As long as you are recording on a flat, smooth surface....the time will be dead nutz on. I took my G-Tech to the track and it was within +/- 0.1 second every time. One reason I hear the MPH is higher is because the track calculates your speed over the last 60ft or so of your run to come up with your MPH. The G-Tech is reporting the speed at which it thinks you were going at the instant you cross the 1/4 mile mark. Either way, I think it's just naturally off a little. Get some sticky tires and find a flat, smooth road and the numbers might make a little more sense.

Ratdaddy07
    Thanks, I am pumped either way cause like I said even if the mph is off by 5, 120 would be a speed you know you can do something with, I am sure the time will be better with drag radials at a good track after I roast up the tires right.

its dead on, but doesnt include reaction time

unless you set it up that way

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

i want to get one

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

I've got the first type released-the cheaper one now. It's great on flat pavement with no traffic. Just that there isn't much of that around here

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

i was lookin at the SS one

Ratdaddy07
    i DON'T REALLY UNDERSTAND HOW IT WORKS BUT IF YOU CAN EVEN GET IT TO MEASURE REACTION TIME THAT IS CRAZY!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hensgens View Post
    i DON'T REALLY UNDERSTAND HOW IT WORKS BUT IF YOU CAN EVEN GET IT TO MEASURE REACTION TIME THAT IS CRAZY!
    It measures your blinker fluid through the cigarette lighter and when the muffler bearings engage then it knows you've hit the accelerator.

j/k It measures G-forces and measures them over time to register 0-60 and quarter mile numbers. I would assume on reaction time it just measures the time from when it says go to when it registers G's.

Ratdaddy07
    Yeah makes since I guess, pretty damn cool, just cool that someone thought of doing it at all.

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

125 mph! Damn, that is a sick trap. What are your mods, rwhp, etc.?

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Get the RR one. I got the SS and am thinking of sending it in to be converted this winter. Then you download the results and post them up. I mainly use mine to watch the G's on the corners. Just becareful as the tend to decrease fuel milage and increase tire wear.

Red
    2002 Trans Am Convertible

Anyone on here have any experience using the shift light feature
    on a G-Tech unit? Is it accurate? Be nice to use at the track without
    having to hard wire a shift light in.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Doesn't mean anything until you get a timeslip.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck02WS6 View Post
    Anyone on here have any experience using the shift light feature
    on a G-Tech unit? Is it accurate? Be nice to use at the track without
    having to hard wire a shift light in.
    The only problem I have with the shift light is I that I have the g-tech also signal the 1/8 mile marker. So I get a flash for that and it could be confusing until I got used to it. As for the full shift light part, all four leds flash rapidly and I feel it works very well. My biggest complaint with the g-tech is the suction cup mounting. With a 68 degree windshield rake it is a little hard to adjust but what I really hate is to come back to the car and see the whole unit on the floor because at some point the suction cup let go. I'm thinking about using the solid mount.

Red
    2002 Trans Am Convertible

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 01Z28M6 View Post
    The only problem I have with the shift light is I that I have the g-tech also signal the 1/8 mile marker. So I get a flash for that and it could be confusing until I got used to it. As for the full shift light part, all four leds flash rapidly and I feel it works very well. My biggest complaint with the g-tech is the suction cup mounting. With a 68 degree windshield rake it is a little hard to adjust but what I really hate is to come back to the car and see the whole unit on the floor because at some point the suction cup let go. I'm thinking about using the solid mount.
    Thanks for the info. I'm seriously considering picking one up.

1966 Corvette Coupe

any one esle use any type or brand of g force measuring devices... ive thought about the auto meter gauge that does basically the same thing... any experiences?

-me

00 LS1, WS6, V8 Gremlin
    96 & 98 GTPs, 64 'Cuda

I've got an older model, probably one of the first. It says G TECH TESLA performance meter / PRO

It works well but I can't think it's more than 5% accurate.

These are made with a simple G-force sensor combined with an A/D converter & logic. Here's a bit of background on the way the sensors work, unsure if they use this brand but we've used them in some designs:

http://www.freescale.com/ and go to sensors.

Anyone want to buy the one I have? $30 shipped Priority mail, looks new but note it's an older model.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck02WS6 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I'm seriously considering picking one up.
    I would like to tell you a few more things before you lay down the money. The RPM is detected by the car's electrical field. The unit has to be calibrated properly and consistently to that field for the RPM to be accurate. On some cars this could be a problem. My RR model seems to work fine with the 2001 LS1 ignition but it has problems with my 95's opti-spark with a Mallory Hyfire box. There is an option when calibrating to let the unit know you have a spark intensifier but my recorded RPM on this car is out of whack. The HP and other features appear okay but I don't think the shift light feature would be useful if I were to choose that option. The 95 is an automatic so a shift light isn't necessary. Never the less, I thought you should know this.

I haven't tried the method of turning all electrical components on when calibrating RPM because if I am reading the manual correctly, once calibrated in this manner, the RPM must be monitored with the same components energized. That isn't practical to test for performance with the wipers going and the A/C on etc..

But with my 01 M6 the RPM and shift light function seemed to be accurate from the very first time I set it. The only thing though is I am sort of looking at the in dash tach which is not very accurate to judge the shift light performance. For me it is good enough whatever the actual numbers may be but for someone concerned about a few hundred RPM accuracy, it may not be good enough. To test the G-tech shift light against a calibrated RPM counter or another shift light would tell if it is correct. I hope this helps.

I had better edit this message for my sig so you know what the RR model is used with.

Thread Information