Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Hot center console

This is a discussion on Hot center console within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller Do you have a 6-spd? I also see you have headers. Did it start after you ...

artic white/black stripes
    97 TA

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    Do you have a 6-spd? I also see you have headers. Did it start after you put them on?
    Yes she is a 6-spd and the headers were on her when I got her but I had been driving for awhile before the problem started.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

With a m6, you won't have a dipstick for the tranny. You will need to remove the fill plug on the tranny itself to check the fluid level.

97 TA

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    With a m6, you won't have a dipstick for the tranny. You will need to remove the fill plug on the tranny itself to check the fluid level.
    Well I feel dumb lol. To access this plug do I have to come from underneath the car?

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Yep. Driver's side near the top, about halfway down the actual tranny housing. A 3/8 square ratchet end should fit into the fill bolt to remove it.

97 TA

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    Yep. Driver's side near the top, about halfway down the actual tranny housing. A 3/8 square ratchet end should fit into the fill bolt to remove it.
    Alright then thanks

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix05 View Post
    Alright then thanks

Black
    1996 Camaro Z28 vert

Well I feel dumb lol. To access this plug do I have to come from underneath the car?
    When underneath you can check for the heat shields. Is the passenger side hotter than the driver?

97 TA

When underneath you can check for the heat shields. Is the passenger side hotter than the driver?
    Ya when I get underneath her I will inspect for the heat shield also from the sounds of it should be pretty obvious whether she has the heat shield or not right?

If you mean if the passenger side of console is hotter than I'm honestly not too sure. I had originally noticed all the heat blowing into the car from where my shifter sits and just recently noticed that my center console also became very hot to touch.

Also where would the shift boot be located if I could find and inspect that while I'm under her that would be great.
    Last edited by phoenix05; 04-27-2011 at 02:24 PM.

Black
    1996 Camaro Z28 vert

The shift boot is under the console. Its rubber and screwed down to the transmission tunnel. Not sure on a ta if you can just remove the top half of the console around the shifter.

97 TA

ok so went out and started fiddling with my console got most everything around my shifter removed. I found alot of foam crammed in there not sure if it should have been present . I didnt notice anything that was cracked here are a few pics.

All the foam was covered by some poorly done leather/pleather or whatever you call it

Black
    1996 Camaro Z28 vert

Someone must have added that foam. The rubber boot is in place. Looks like someone cut and rewelded the shifter.

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I know mine gets hot but when the previous owner installed the old B&M shifter, he left some parts out like a plastic cover for the original shifter. That is missing. I found out when I installed the Hurst shifter. I might look for another plastic cover in the future. The white rubber boot in the trans is also split in a few places.

97 TA

Someone must have added that foam. The rubber boot is in place. Looks like someone cut and rewelded the shifter.
    Ya I didn't think the foam should be there think I'm going to leave it off for now and see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    I know mine gets hot but when the previous owner installed the old B&M shifter, he left some parts out like a plastic cover for the original shifter. That is missing. I found out when I installed the Hurst shifter. I might look for another plastic cover in the future. The white rubber boot in the trans is also split in a few places.
    I was wondering if my shifter should have a plastic cover instead of this piece of material that someone fashioned to fit around it may have to search for one of those in the future also.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Ya I didn't think the foam should be there think I'm going to leave it off for now and see how it goes.

I was wondering if my shifter should have a plastic cover instead of this piece of material that someone fashioned to fit around it may have to search for one of those in the future also.
    Try GMPartsDirect for a photo reference to see if anything is missing. That's what I do.

Black
    1996 Camaro Z28 vert

Minus the foam that is how mine was from the factory. My car gets hot but not burning hot.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Another thing to consider...the stick is cut, which will heat up more as there is less path for heat to travel.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

have you checked the tranny yet? outcome?

97 TA

Ya I would understand some heat but the fact that once I have been driving for a few miles it's like a heater on full blast that has me thinking for solutions. I have gotten into the practice that if I'm going to be heading somewhere far in her to bring a second shirt so I'm not covered in sweat(talking about in combination with the texas heat so mostly during spring/summer...fall...some of winter).

Haven't gotten underneath her yet just checked the boot since it sounded simple and quick to get to(which it was) should have time/space to get under her if not tomorrow then sometime this weekend. From what I understand checking my tranny fluid just involves pulling the plug and sticking my finger in there to make sure the level/color is correct?(that's what it sounded like in the manual)

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Ya I would understand some heat but the fact that once I have been driving for a few miles it's like a heater on full blast that has me thinking for solutions. I have gotten into the practice that if I'm going to be heading somewhere far in her to bring a second shirt so I'm not covered in sweat(talking about in combination with the texas heat so mostly during spring/summer...fall...some of winter).

Haven't gotten underneath her yet just checked the boot since it sounded simple and quick to get to(which it was) should have time/space to get under her if not tomorrow then sometime this weekend. From what I understand checking my tranny fluid just involves pulling the plug and sticking my finger in there to make sure the level/color is correct?(that's what it sounded like in the manual)

Correct.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Agree...that is correct.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information