Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Hoses rubbing against pulleys

Was leaking coolant from under the throttle body area, and thought it was indicative of needing a new water pump. Bolted on a brand new water pump, only to realize that the problem was the big main rubber hose that goes into the top tube of the water pump. It was rubbing against the water pump pulley, and was ground down on the side and had a hole in it.. I also noticed that this pulley is rubbing against a hose that goes into my AC drier, slowly drilling a hole in that as well. I tried for four hours, but no matter how I worked the hoses, I could not get them in place without them rubbing against the pulley. This seems like a huge problem that was present from the moment the car rolled out of the factory. Had the car towed to the dealer to let them have a look at it, but am worried that they will call me back with a staggering number to fix the issue. They told me there was no recall out concerning the problem. Has anyone else seen/experienced this before? If so, how did you fix it?

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by cascade View Post
    Was leaking coolant from under the throttle body area, and thought it was indicative of needing a new water pump. Bolted on a brand new water pump, only to realize that the problem was the big main rubber hose that goes into the top tube of the water pump. It was rubbing against the water pump pulley, and was ground down on the side and had a hole in it.. I also noticed that this pulley is rubbing against a hose that goes into my AC drier, slowly drilling a hole in that as well. I tried for four hours, but no matter how I worked the hoses, I could not get them in place without them rubbing against the pulley. This seems like a huge problem that was present from the moment the car rolled out of the factory. Had the car towed to the dealer to let them have a look at it, but am worried that they will call me back with a staggering number to fix the issue. They told me there was no recall out concerning the problem. Has anyone else seen/experienced this before? If so, how did you fix it?
    i havent seen this problem in my car. Can you post a pic?

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I'm prolly gonna get flamed for this, but is the serp belt routed correctly?

I accidently misrouted my 3800 Camaro belt once.

Car ran just fine but the new belt was begining to cut into my coolant diverter.

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

The belt isn't touching the hoses, its the metal wheel part of the pulley rubbing the hoses on the front side of the wheel.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by cascade View Post
    The belt isn't touching the hoses, its the metal wheel part of the pulley rubbing the hoses on the front side of the wheel.
    Ahh, now I gotcha.. Well then, I'd have to say maybe the wrong hose or the hoses routing especially if it's a formed hose, because this does'nt seem to be common problem with the LS1 crowd..

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Ahh, now I gotcha.. Well then, I'd have to say maybe the wrong hose or the hoses routing especially if it's a formed hose, because this does'nt seem to be common problem with the LS1 crowd..
    X2 on that.

SteveC

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

some pictures can help us to see if you have the right hose.

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

The throttle body coolant hose that we all bypass does sit very close to the pulley if that is the culprit? seems you could tie-wrap it to something and hold it away from the rotating pulley/belt.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

The hose that goes on top of the water pump does not go all the way on. It has a groove it stops at. On mine if I pushed it all the way on it would rub. If I stoped at the groove it is good.

Will try to find pick.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

go to http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm
    click on "Install Documents"
    Then "160 °F Thermostat Swap"
    Look at Pic 6 & 7

Thread Information