Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    BLK TA modded 12.2@113mph

Hesitation when accelarating

I have a 99 Trans Am and in the recent days I reseted the check engine light by taking out the pcm and batt fuse under the hood. It worked but now my shift point seems to be different and less power. Would it have killed my tune?

Second and this is only today when I accelerate it cuts in an out not stalling but obvious cutting like not making enough spark or a vehicle that has a bit of humidity did that before or bad gas . I wonder what it could be.

A lot of this seems to be coincidental with me changing the lid putting a K&N filter, reseting the computer and putting in a new o2 sensor. Would a dirty MAF do that. It doesn't seem to have crazy power like it use to either. Plugs and wires are not new. I don't know, if anybody has any thoughts I would really really appreciate it........
    It's not throwing any codes and on idle it runs perfect I can rev it up and it's perfect but it hesitates when I climb up lets say going on an of ramp on the highway and getting to 70mph it hesitates. I never experience a dirty maf before but would that do that????
    Thank you in advance
    Last edited by Durango; 04-25-2009 at 11:31 AM.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Well, how many miles on the plugs. Bad plug will give you that hesitation. Wires, not so much.

MAF, just buy some electrical compontent cleaner and clean the MAF.

If you jyust installed a Lid and filter, are you sure you got it right? No leaks?
    Why did you reset the computer? Why the new O2 sensor???

And, No, if you had your car tuned for whatever reason.... un plugging the battery would not erase the information.

Black

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Well, how many miles on the plugs. Bad plug will give you that hesitation. Wires, not so much.

MAF, just buy some electrical compontent cleaner and clean the MAF.

If you jyust installed a Lid and filter, are you sure you got it right? No leaks?
    Why did you reset the computer? Why the new O2 sensor???

And, No, if you had your car tuned for whatever reason.... un plugging the battery would not erase the information.

Thank you for answering all my questions. I have about 90 000miles on the car and I'm the second owner. I did install my lid very carefully so I don't have any leaks for sure.

I don't know what I woukld do with my car without this site. It would cost me more money for sure or less I'm not sure lol
    I replaced the o2 sensor because I had a code that said bank 1 rear o2 sensor so before replacing it I took out the batt and ign fuse under the hood and the light came of for a couple of days and came back on with the same code reading so I changed the o2 sensor.

I have no idea if the plugs were changed and I bought a new fuel filter and bought some electrical cleaner about 10 minutes ago and on the way there no hesitation. That is weird it did it all this afternoon for the about 60 miles and now that it sat for an hour it's fine.

I need to do the maintenance on it I think. I just put about 2500 miles on it since I bought it so I'm not to sure what was done for maintenance. I changed all the fluids in it put synthetic oil and that.

I'll change the fuel filter clean the maf and take a look at the plugs maybe take one out to see how it looks. I think that it has the same wiring.

Thanks again
    Last edited by Durango; 04-25-2009 at 01:30 PM.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Did you by chance oil the K&N fllter?

515 HP TrickFlow Package BADASS2000SS's Avatar

440 RWHP / 410 TQ
    2000 SLP CAMARO SS

Good call, if that shit gets on the MAF sensor......there is his prob! Sound more like a fuel filter / spark plug issue to me!
    2000 SLP Camaro SS M6 * 515 HP TrickFlow Package * FAST 92 MM Intake * Nick Williams 92 MM TB * Volant CAI * Granatelli MAF * Full Custom True Dual Exhaust with X-Pipe * Tuned by Breathless Performance

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Yes, the KN filter is well known for over oiling and affecting the MAF. Change your plugs, car has 90,000 miles on. Who knows if they have ever been changed. Change the fuel filter. Same as above.

Black

No did 1500 miles with the K&N the way it is. Today hesitation again but not to bad.

Black

Yes, the KN filter is well known for over oiling and affecting the MAF. Change your plugs, car has 90,000 miles on. Who knows if they have ever been changed. Change the fuel filter. Same as above.
    I agree I just bought a fuel filter and some cleaner for the maf and I have to get my hands scraped and cut installing new plugs for sure. I've been procrastinating on the plugs but I guess time to do it. It is an amazing car and I really want to maintain it but I really can't afford anything major I'm starting to build a house and it's taking everything to keep my baby so don't quit on me now.

Black

Quote Originally Posted by BADASS2000SS View Post
    Good call, if that shit gets on the MAF sensor......there is his prob! Sound more like a fuel filter / spark plug issue to me!
    I agree thanks I bought the filter and the plugs will be soon.

Black

Has anyone heard of this happening?????????

Ok I had a SES light come on and it said low voltage bank 1 rear o2 sensor.I changed it and the only time the SES light comes on is when I jam the pedal to the floor and leave it there until it shifts in second and then after about 30 miles it shuts of on it's own.

The funny thing is it only started doing that when I changed the intake for an SLP lid when I'm stock it doesn't do it. Is it because of the additional air coming in and should I just change it back.

Would getting a tune fix that. I am installing a stall and soon and I only have a cat back and a lid so I don't know if it's worth it. I don't think I'm going to do a lot more to it except maybe changing my 3:23 gears for 3:73's if the stall doesn't give me what I want.
    Last edited by Durango; 04-26-2009 at 12:52 PM.

Black

IT WAS THE MAF. Holy what a difference it's like a new motor. Thanks. I will change the fuel filter and spark plugs now. Obviously the old owner didn't maintain it to well or didn't know about the MAF should of been on LS1

pewter
    99 Trans Am

I have found that any time you buy a used car do everything,don't take it for granted that the owner kept it up like he or she should have.If you do it yourself you can rest asure that when things go bad you know just what to rule out
    as part of the problem.

Black

Quote Originally Posted by Street Fighter View Post
    I have found that any time you buy a used car do everything,don't take it for granted that the owner kept it up like he or she should have.If you do it yourself you can rest asure that when things go bad you know just what to rule out
    as part of the problem.

i HAVE TO AGREE WITH YOU i HAVE IT BOOKED TO GET THE FUEL FILTER CHANGED ON tHURSDAY AND i AM LOOKING AT A PLUG CHANGE TO. I have to clean my air filter it obviously has to much ouil on it because it started hesitating again this afternoon 150 miles after I cleaned the MAF So here we go again. Just how much oil do you put on a K&N anyway

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Durango View Post
    i HAVE TO AGREE WITH YOU i HAVE IT BOOKED TO GET THE FUEL FILTER CHANGED ON tHURSDAY AND i AM LOOKING AT A PLUG CHANGE TO. I have to clean my air filter it obviously has to much ouil on it because it started hesitating again this afternoon 150 miles after I cleaned the MAF So here we go again. Just how much oil do you put on a K&N anyway
    If you look under the drivers side along the frame rail you'll see that fuel filter.....it's a piece of cake to change. Would save you a little money. Those filters should just have enough oil on them to coat the filter. Not much at all. Try cleaning the maf again and you could always switch to a paper filter for a few bucks just to rule out the K&N and if it starts doing it again you'd know it's not the filter. I've ran a K&N on my car for 5 years or more and have never had an issue with it. I do agree that the oil from them can cause issues with the maf but that filter would have to be dripping oil to do it again so soon I would think.

Black

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    If you look under the drivers side along the frame rail you'll see that fuel filter.....it's a piece of cake to change. Would save you a little money. Those filters should just have enough oil on them to coat the filter. Not much at all. Try cleaning the maf again and you could always switch to a paper filter for a few bucks just to rule out the K&N and if it starts doing it again you'd know it's not the filter. I've ran a K&N on my car for 5 years or more and have never had an issue with it. I do agree that the oil from them can cause issues with the maf but that filter would have to be dripping oil to do it again so soon I would think.

Hum

It's not dripping at all so maybe it's not that but as soon as I clean the MAF man does it ever wake up. Fuel filter next then plugs and wire after that I don't know what to do. It's just not crisp on take off.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Do yourself a favor & throw that GD K&N in the trash & get with the new technology that's available.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112020

Black

Quote Originally Posted by rbob93 View Post
    Do yourself a favor & throw that GD K&N in the trash & get with the new technology that's available.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112020

I think I will I never ever had a problem with k&n before and I used it on my bikes trucks everything that had a filter that k&n made but that freaking MAF is a pain in the ass i tell ya

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

I think I will I never ever had a problem with k&n before and I used it on my bikes trucks everything that had a filter that k&n made but that freaking MAF is a pain in the ass i tell ya
    I used to run kn on all my cars/trucks before. I have only ran the paper filter in the camaro. Never had an issue I just change it pretty often its pretty cheap.

I did my plugs and wires not to long ago it took me way to long what a bitch. I did them with 55k on the car and the old original plugs were bad when I pulled them.

Black

Plugs

Holy shit my plugs and wire is stock and I just turned 95 000 miles. I guess I need to update. I did my fuel filter today that was a breeze.

Thanks everyone

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Holy shit my plugs and wire is stock and I just turned 95 000 miles. I guess I need to update. I did my fuel filter today that was a breeze.

Thanks everyone
    Hmmmm... yea... Ide say your due for at least a plug change! Its not that hard. For number 8 I do it from the bottom of car. Way easier to IMO.

Thread Information