Black
    2001 Camaro SS 1LE

Help- unusual leaking problem - hatch area

Hello All,
    FYI...I did try searching first. I have a 2001 Camaro SS Coupe with 20,650 miles, which I bought 2 months ago. Yesterday I opened the hatch, and there was a good 1/4 inch of water in the bottom of the hatch area where you could store the T-Tops. I assume this happened during Hurricane Sandy weeks ago (The car was outside, and I live in the hurricane path in PA), and this is the first time I have opened the hatch since. There could have been a lot more water in there, that has since evaporated.

I remember shortly after I bought the car, I opened the hatch and saw a few drops of water drip from the hole in the Gray plastic panel where the HATCH STRUT ATTACHES TO THE HATCH, on the Driver's side. At that time I thought this could "Possibly" become a problem, because when the hatch is closed, this area where the drip occurred is ABOVE THE STORAGE AREA under the rear hatch. I haven't had this car long enough to investigate this issue, as there was no evidence of water inside the car.

Logic tells me that water is defeating the hatch Window Seal somewhere on the Driver's side, and it's getting in between the hatch and the Gray Plastic panel attached to the underside below the window. The only exit for the water is the hole in the plastic panel where the hatch strut is attached. The 10 inches of rain over 2 days that Hurricane Sandy dumped here, obviously accentuated the problem and probably caused a steady drip over 2 days.

Has anyone out there had this particular problem happen to them, or know of a Service Bulletin relating to this problem? Finding the source of the is obviously the next step, but could prove difficult.

FYI2....Prior to this car, I had another 2001 Camaro SS that I had for 11 years. I bought it new until I unfortunately totaled it on 8/31/12, so I am very familiar with these cars. I never had any leaks in any areas of this other SS.

yellow
    2004 pontiac gto

the only thing i can think of is a misaligned trunk lid. or a bad seal. if the lid shuts properly and is not raised where the seal is at the front it should not leak. You stated that you have not had the car very long. being a body damage person it makes me really think the lid is tweeked.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

^^this.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

There are also rubber springs in the hatch area on either side you can adjust up and down. You might want to try screwing them down so you get a tighter seal.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS 1LE

Thanks to all Three of you who replied so far. Visually, the hatch looks perfectly aligned and level with all other body panels surrounding it. Verbally, and via Carfax report, the car had never been in an accident. From what I can tell, no one thinks there is a possibility that water can somehow be getting past the hatch glass seal anywhere. May I ask why? Water is getting inside the Hatch itself, between the body of the hatch and the gray plastic panel on the "underside" that you would see when the hatch is raised, and drips out the hole where the Driver's side Hatch Strut is attached.

I will of course as suggested, give those two "Rubber Springs" a few Clockwise turns (Upwards) just in case they may be holding the Hatch up in any amount from the long rubber seal that runs all along the Hatch area.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

You'll need a 2nd person but have you tried running water from a hose over the hatch to see where it might be leaking from? Remove all the plastic body panels first.

If the glass has been replaced, it could be the seal on the glass has an issue, not just the hatch seal.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS 1LE

Thanks, this was actually what I planned on trying next. I plan to remove the Gray Plastic panel, find a "Little Person" and put him in the storage space below the hatch, close the hatch, and run a hose over the area to see if the leak shows it ugly head. I really think the hatch needs to be closed during this process, so finding a "Little Person" without claustrophobia to help me might be challenging...:-)

yellow
    2004 pontiac gto

video recorder in a box full of foam. with the light on you should be able to see where the leak is coming from.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

When it was parked was the nose downhill from the rear? I've seen people have issues with the hatch leaking when the nose is lower than the rear.

red black
    98Z28

Yes , nose up will help with this problem........

Mystic Teal Metallic:320c
    1998 Camaro Z/28

i always park nose up because the weatherstripping around the base of the hatch is just sitting on a pinchweld no sealer or glue to hold it in place and when the channels fill up it can allow water in also water may be getting in through the spoiler where it bolts down to the hatch. i have that issue but i been parking in carport also i typically only drive in nice weather

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Another thing to check is the striker where the hatch latches to the car above the filler panel. That could have come loose or need to be adjusted. Just a thought.

Thread Information