Ratdaddy07

Help, trying to throw belt.

Actually hasn't come completely off yet but I check it every time I get in the car. Have an under-drive pulley and I think either it or the belt put on when I got it is the problem. When I really get the car up in the RPM's like over 6K (limiter is at 6,800) then get out and check invariably the belt is several grooves off the front of the pulleys. I put a new automatic tensioner, still having the problem.

White
    98 Trans AM

One thing you may want to do is put a manual tensioner on there instead of the spring / automatic type. http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...vid=3&pcid=113 You can put a lot more tension that way and aleviate that as a possibility. The manual ones also won't move back and forth like a spring loaded can. I know SLP also now has a pulley with "High" outer walls to try and stop belts coming off. I have never had this issue though and I have UD crank and power steering pullies. I got a manual tensioner but I always tend to think it is more an issue with the pully not being put on straight, out of round, or matched in line with the other pulley line IMO. Good luck though!!
    Last edited by Transam388; 10-16-2006 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Adding detail and link to part from sponsor site.
    98 T/A: HPE 5.3 Heads, 238/242 113 cam, Kooks 1 7/8 stepped LT headers, Custom Y pipe, Cut out, Borla, NW 90MM TB, FAST 90MM Intake, TB Bypass, Under Drive Power steering and Crank, 150 Dry NOS, Yella Terra rockers, 3400 TC, HPE tuning,

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Your ud pulley could be the cause, Start the car and take a look at your pulleys from the side and see if any of them look odd, How long ago did you instail the ud pulley? Is this when the problem started?
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Ratdaddy07
    Several weeks and yes that is when it started.

Sunset Orange
    2002 TransAm

Katech Belt Tensioner. www.SDPC2000.com
    2002 Sunset Orange TransAm 6 spd.
    http://www.mustangmods.com/data/1327/dadsigpic2.jpg

Ratdaddy07
    I hate to just mask a problem. I am going to check the alignment if that doesn't work I wonder if O'Rielly's will take the one I just bought back?

SOM
    '01 Camaro SS

Did you get the pulley on all the way? Getting 200+ft/lbs of torque down there can be troublesome. Also, check the alignment all of the way around the belt. If you keep fixing it where you see it and not where you don't, it'll keep coming off. Ask me how I know that one...I felt like buying a t-shirt with an up arrow that says, "I'm with stupid."

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

I would ditch the ud pulley if thats causing the problem. Give them a call and see if they will take it back, chances are they will.
    J

Ratdaddy07
    No chances are they wont it is our esteemed sponsor Thunder Racing, trust me they won't.

Ratdaddy07
    Think I found my problem, hose that goes from the radiator to throttle body which I had bypassed was leaking ever so slighly but dripping on the belt, I also cleaned out the ribs in the pulleys and made sure everything was tight. Hasn't jumped again keeping my fingers crossed. Went ahead and changed all the old hoses with 125K it was time anyway.

Thread Information