Thread: help please

silver
    98 ss camaro

help please

I have a 98 ss, i had to change the power steering pressure hose. I had to take out the alternator to get the angle right well the I believe power cord in the back of the alternator touched one of the metal on the hoses and sparks once and then once again when I put it back in. Now everything set back up but when I start the car the battery meter is in the red on the low side any ideas( can you fry the alternator this way.

silver
    98 ss camaro

bump

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yeah, you can kill the alternator shorting it out like that. That's why the first step is to always disconnect the ground from the battery when working with it. Check and make sure all of the cables are on and tight then check voltage at the battery. You can pull the alternator and take it in to just about any parts store and they can test it for you.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Sounds like ya toasted your alt like said above...
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

silver
    98 ss camaro

ok so I found the problem I forgot about the clip on the top of the alternator and the wire got yanked out when i moved it. I pulled the clip apart and put the wire back in there so were good go there.

new issue I was driving to a friends house stopped at a light. Went to put it in first gear and the shifter moves all the way to the front. It doesn't find anygear feels like its disconnected. Is there a linkage or something I all i did was take it out of 6th which it was driving fine. Put it in neutral at the light then tried to shift into first. this is on a m6 by the way.

Thread Information