Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Please.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Help Please.

Just got to work, went to put car in park but it won't go in park. When I out the shifter all the way to the deont(where park would be) it still stays in reverse.

I'm having to shut the car off in neutral with the parking brake up and leave my key in the ignition.

Car shifts fine while driving. Goes into all other gears fine.

What is going on?!
    Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Here's a video..

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

It's not letting me upload video from photobucket..
    [<a href=http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn249/brotrippin/null-28.jpg target=_blank>http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/n...in/null-28.jpg</a>/SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

the release button shaft must have disconnect or broke off. Remove the leather boot and see if any thing is in pieces.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    the release button shaft must have disconnect or broke off. Remove the leather boot and see if any thing is in pieces.
    wouldn't that button have to be working in order to get it from neutral to reverse though? I know on our old GTP it locked the car into park a few times because the solenoid was bad at the base of the shifter. I could hit straight down on top of the shifter and it would release. I've never had the shifter apart on this one though to know if it has that same solenoid. The other thing I'm thinking is just a bad or out of adjustment cable which makes the most sense to me.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    wouldn't that button have to be working in order to get it from neutral to reverse though? I know on our old GTP it locked the car into park a few times because the solenoid was bad at the base of the shifter. I could hit straight down on top of the shifter and it would release. I've never had the shifter apart on this one though to know if it has that same solenoid. The other thing I'm thinking is just a bad or out of adjustment cable which makes the most sense to me.
    I see your point. I'm use to stick. It's been yrs since I last dealt with auto headaches.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    It's an automatic.

So, I need to remove the shifter and column(where it says P R N D 3 2 1)?

I'm gonna try to upload the vid again..
    http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/n...4803FC9491.mp4

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    Which cable are you referring to? And how do I get to it.

Thanks.

I HATE that I have to leave my key in my ignition with the doors unlocked while I'm at work.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Ask a local trans shop about this problem. I'm sure they have seen it before. It should save you some time even if you have to pay some diag time. Good luck.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by My Slow Camaro View Post
    . I HATE that I have to leave my key in my ignition with the doors unlocked while I'm at work.
    Why would you have to do that? Dont you have 2 sets of keys? Two key fobs?
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by My Slow Camaro View Post
    . I HATE that I have to leave my key in my ignition with the doors unlocked while I'm at work.
    He probably only has one. I actually had this problem because I had to have the car towed and the driver just pushed the lever without pushing the release and messed the shifter up and it would not go into park or let me take the key out. My mechanic sort of fixed it. I don't remember exactly what the fix was.

Also I would hate to ask an stupid question but do you apply the brake before attempting to put it in park?

Edit: I just reread the post, the shifter will actually go into the park location but it won't actually park, right? If so that sounds trans related and that one of the gears is not working properly. I would do as suggested and talk to a transmission shop.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 08-04-2013 at 03:58 PM.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Adjust A4 Trans Linkage

how to adjust your linkage. Just clarify....does the shifter itself physically go into park but the car does not or does the shifter not even go to the park position? Get under there first and check your cable.....it's a quick 10 minute job.
    Last edited by 0rion; 08-04-2013 at 07:44 PM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I would be spending the $2 for a door key then so I could at least lock the car.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

That is why I like the 6M

Silver
    98 Formula

Did you get the car fixed?

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

You can also pull out the pcm fuse so the car wont start. Take the key fob off the key ring and lock ur doors.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Been busy with work. Cars been parked. Taking it to a buddy's shop in the morning to have him put it on his lift and take a look at the trans linkage cable that was mentioned above.

I'll post the results in the morning. Thanks for the help/suggestions guys.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    Edit: I just reread the post, the shifter will actually go into the park location but it won't actually park, right?
    Correct. The shifter itself will physically go into the "park" position with ease, but its actually in reverse when the shifter is all the way forward(in the "park" position.)

Don't think it's the transmission because it'll go into all the other gears just fine and shifts smooth and firm upon acceleration from a stop, and also and cruising speeds it drives smooth as can be.

Leaning towards the linkage(hopefully that's it).

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Dealer only had one set of keys. Did not have keyfob. But they are getting me one.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

The door key and the ignition key are still separate. So you can lock your doors and have a key to get back into your car. Just fyi.

Quote Originally Posted by RONS98TA View Post
    The door key and the ignition key are still separate. So you can lock your doors and have a key to get back into your car. Just fyi.
    Yep, you'll just have to manually lock the doors as you get out and take the door key with you. I'm sure you're aware the door lock switches won't lock the doors if the ignition key is still in the ignition.
    Only problem with this method is the alarm doesn't set, if that's a concern. At least the car is locked though...

Sure sounds like a shift cable problem to me.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Got it up on my buddy's lift and found the culprit. This bracket holding the trans cable was loose and missing a bolt.

Replaced the bolt, tightened it up and voila. Problem solved.
    Thanks for the help guys.

Thread Information