Thread: help please

Red/tan top/tan inter
    1999 ws6 convertable

help please

hello to all my ls1 owners out there I am having a problem with my car and was wondering if anyone has a simerly
    1999 trans am ws6 6speed convert. the prob. at about 2000-3000 it has a bad dead spot. it lays down and then picks up it dose not seem to make any differance what gear you are in. i allreaty changed plugs and wires with no change.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Clean your MAF with some CRC MAF cleaner from the local autoparts store and let us know if that helps.

And how many miles do you have on it?

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

^^What Kevin said. We need more info.

Red/tan top/tan inter
    1999 ws6 convertable

it is stock and has 93000 the only mod is k&n air filter. I will try cleaning the maf and see if that helps. it is strange it has good power both befor and after this happens.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Your only mod could be your problem. Several people (not myself) have said the oil from the K&n will drip off the filter, potentially gunking up sensors.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Yes. Clean out the MAF and wrap the air filter in a paper bag to soak up any excess filter oil.

Red/tan top/tan inter
    1999 ws6 convertable

I cleaned maf today with crc maf cleaner also cleaned throdel body and intake with amsoil powerfome. all i can say wow what a dif. it's hard to belave a small thing like that can make that big of diff. she is back to her old self! thankyou so mutch

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

remove the K&N filter and use paper.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by zerbe's99ws6 View Post
    I cleaned maf today with crc maf cleaner also cleaned throdel body and intake with amsoil powerfome. all i can say wow what a dif. it's hard to belave a small thing like that can make that big of diff. she is back to her old self! thankyou so mutch
    The main purpose of the Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor is to measure the volume and density of air entering the engine at any given time. The computer uses this information in conjunction with input from other sensors, to calculate the correct amount of fuel to deliver to the engine.

It's a small component that has a very important job.

If you plan on using the K&N, just make sure that it is not over-oiled. Too much oil while cause the MAF to get oiled down as the air coming through the air filter sends that oil into the MAF.

Black/Black
    98 WS6/04 Sierra Dmax

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    remove the K&N filter and use paper.
    ^^^ This
    I have seen K&Ns cause alot of running issues.

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by cpop98ws6 View Post
    ^^^ This
    I have seen K&Ns cause alot of running issues.
    K&N is not entirely a bad system. I think for engines that use carbs it's ok for. I even want to say that they were initially design for carb engines. Now that fuel injection is standard they just adapt to it. Problem is that FI requires sensors that carb motors do not. Now factor in that the average driver barely reads the instruction on installing the K&N let alone follow them. It's been a while but I remember that the instructions told you to let the filter dry out prior to installing it on the car. Most ppl let it sit for 20-30 mins and then get impatient and toss it in thinking what harm can the oil do to the motor while forgetting about the MAF.

Black/Black
    98 WS6/04 Sierra Dmax

The slightest amount of oil can cause issues with the MAF. Had a guy at our shop a few months back with an 04 Chevy silverado 1500 with a complaint about the transmission slipping. Here he just recently put a new k&n in and it was messing with the MAF, causing the transmission to slip and not go into overdrive. Fords are also notorious for having issues due to a k&n filter. My opinion is just get a good paper filter and you won't have to worry about a thing.

Navy Blue Metallic

yep

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Get an AEM dryflow filter as well. No oil.

Black/Black
    98 WS6/04 Sierra Dmax

I use the amsoil dry filter, probably about the same as the AEM filter.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

It's probably a good idea to go ahead and clean the MAF every so often anyway. It's relatively inexpensive and easy to do. I clean mine every few months.
    Last edited by 35th-ANV-SS; 09-27-2011 at 03:24 PM.

Red/tan top/tan inter
    1999 ws6 convertable

I have been using K&N on this car since it was almost new. now with almost 96000 on it and never had prob. before more likley that i over oiled it last time i cleaned it. I also have one in my wifes jeep with 188000 on it and one in my 2005 rumbelbee hemi truck with 60000 on it. so i dont think the filter is the prob. more likly it was me and to much oil and or installing it to soon! eather way the advice was right on the mark and i can now injoy my car once more 96000 and she still makes me smill every time i get in !!!!!!!!!!

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by zerbe's99ws6 View Post
    I have been using K&N on this car since it was almost new. now with almost 96000 on it and never had prob. before more likley that i over oiled it last time i cleaned it. I also have one in my wifes jeep with 188000 on it and one in my 2005 rumbelbee hemi truck with 60000 on it. so i dont think the filter is the prob. more likly it was me and to much oil and or installing it to soon! eather way the advice was right on the mark and i can now injoy my car once more 96000 and she still makes me smill every time i get in !!!!!!!!!!
    Keep in mind, none of those have a intake like an f-body. Much more air is directly flowing through it straighter and harder. The Jeep is drawing less volumes of air because it's a smaller engine and the hemi's intake path isn't as short as the f-body and has an elbow in it.

It could have been a slow build up of oil, and you've actually been underperforming for a while.

Thread Information