Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Help pass smog

This is a discussion on Help pass smog within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by KahanaReef I have to go to a test only station every year for all my cars. I'm ...

pewter, silver
    02 Z28/00 SS450rwhp

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    I have to go to a test only station every year for all my cars. I'm never given the option of going anywhere else.
    what happen you man tell me please if you dont mind so maybe I can advoid passable the same fate,

I was talking to this dude at a local exust shop he wants to slap on flanges on the headers, and y-pipe, slap on CA and Epa appoved magnaflows cats and put in a y-pype so I can pass smog, (a test pipe if you will, plus the cats a 2.5in I have a 3in Y-pype) and slap the cats and y-pype that I have on now, after I pass smog, also he sayd just in case if I want to drop the trans I dont I have to cut the weld on the header, I going to take it back to him to get it on the rack to get an estimate, but he look at my cats real quick and realyped "whats dinnkys ass cats", sound good to me I am trying to get hold of Nick for the past 3 days now, to see what he thinks, but I sure its easyer to get hold of Angelina Jolie.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Rmaverickz28 View Post
    what happen you man tell me please if you dont mind so maybe I can advoid passable the same fate,

I was talking to this dude at a local exust shop he wants to slap on flanges on the headers, and y-pipe, slap on CA and Epa appoved magnaflows cats and put in a y-pype so I can pass smog, (a test pipe if you will, plus the cats a 2.5in I have a 3in Y-pype) and slap the cats and y-pype that I have on now, after I pass smog, also he sayd just in case if I want to drop the trans I dont I have to cut the weld on the header, I going to take it back to him to get it on the rack to get an estimate, but he look at my cats real quick and realyped "whats dinnkys ass cats", sound good to me I am trying to get hold of Nick for the past 3 days now, to see what he thinks, but I sure its easyer to get hold of Angelina Jolie.

Nothing happened. I've never failed a smog test on any of my 3 cars. I have the Camaro, an 88 Alfa and a 95 Probe. My husbands truck has to as well. About 8 years ago or so, my registration paperwork just started stating that I had to go to a test only station. It's right across the street from the DMV and I don't have the option of going anywhere else

Candy Blue
    2000 Camaro SS

A Gross Polluter is a vehicle that fails at I believe it's 2x the limit. If you fail as a Gross Polluter you will be directed to a Test Only Center which cannot do smog repairs. If you are Gross Polluted BAR can send you to get a smog every year instead of every other year if they decide to. Some cars are automatically directed to a test only simply because they are commonly modified and others are randomly sent. They can be as new as 8 years old. Older cars are usually the ones that go to the test only centers. They do the same test as test and repair centers but charge more usually because that's all that they can do. That's the only difference between a Test and Repair and a Test Only center.

I would get as close to a stock replacement Cat as you can, the better quality cat, the better your chances of passing smog. Nick at Newtech is hard to get a hold of.... you're not the only problem that has that problem. But he's not a smog tech. I would advise you to run a pretest before you actually smog it. Just so that you DON'T gross pollute your car. Hope this helps.

Matt

2000 Camaro SS, M6, Edelbrock LT's, Eibach Pro-Kit, Edelbrock Adjustable Coil-Overs
    1986 Camaro Iroc LS1 Swap In Progress

Blue Magic...
    Like Pepsi It's A Brand Name...

pewter, silver
    02 Z28/00 SS450rwhp

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMagicSS View Post
    A Gross Polluter is a vehicle that fails at I believe it's 2x the limit. If you fail as a Gross Polluter you will be directed to a Test Only Center which cannot do smog repairs. If you are Gross Polluted BAR can send you to get a smog every year instead of every other year if they decide to. Some cars are automatically directed to a test only simply because they are commonly modified and others are randomly sent. They can be as new as 8 years old. Older cars are usually the ones that go to the test only centers. They do the same test as test and repair centers but charge more usually because that's all that they can do. That's the only difference between a Test and Repair and a Test Only center.

I would get as close to a stock replacement Cat as you can, the better quality cat, the better your chances of passing smog. Nick at Newtech is hard to get a hold of.... you're not the only problem that has that problem. But he's not a smog tech. I would advise you to run a pretest before you actually smog it. Just so that you DON'T gross pollute your car. Hope this helps.

Matt
    Matt thanks for responding I cant affoid stock cats, they are 460 each plus install, they guy quoted me for 850.00 to put on two magaflow CA cats, plus install the cats a 400 cell and have has a Carb number!!! and the guy who want to put it on has a buddy down the street to test them out before the real smog test, I had read that someone here, pass in Ca with a singal Cheery bomb cat, and passed , I am sure that I should pass with the 400 cells(stock is 600 Cells) after all double the filter power!! Again I am only 133pph of my NOx to pass smog,I had called Magaflow to see the cell size and the differents between they reaular 49 state 400 cell cats and the ones for CA, they told me that the CA cats have more mental stuff in there for more filtertion, I install them on monday, I cant wait for this whole thing to be done with and over!!

Will keep yoou guys posted.
    Mav

pewter, silver
    02 Z28/00 SS450rwhp

Getting Ready for Round Five

Ok guys on Monday I put on My manaflow high flow cats at are 400 cell cats and they have a Carb number for good old, I got about a 160 miles on them, I want to break them in a good 200-300 miles before I go in for smog also I am going to do a Pre-test to make sure I pass, I am 95% sure that they will pass cus they make they car 65-70% quiter!! , I still havent got hold of nick to see if I have to retune the car, for the new cats new backpressuer I can feel it not bad .. get some getting used to, ohh well anything to pass that sniffer!!!

Round five on Tues:
    we need 419PPH or less best I hit 552PPH
    Last edited by Rmaverickz28; 11-11-2010 at 01:26 PM.

pewter, silver
    02 Z28/00 SS450rwhp

Round 5 winner and still champ Rocky Balboa

I passed, I passed, I focking Passed

before I hit 552 pph nox (419max), today I hit 23pph!!!! my car is quiter and did i lose hp??? maybe did I pass smog??? hell yeah!!!! better then the midleths and random 300 cells, well its over thanks for keeping post you guys

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Back to your regularly scheduled program...ENJOYING THE CAR.

Congrats!!!

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Wow! Way to go. You get an A for persistence, that's for sure

I'm impressed

pewter, silver
    02 Z28/00 SS450rwhp

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    Wow! Way to go. You get an A for persistence, that's for sure

I'm impressed
    You havent seen me play Poker!!

I got 23 PPH vs 552pph

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Quote Originally Posted by Rmaverickz28 View Post
    You havent seen me play Poker!!

I got 23 PPH vs 552pph
    I'm happy you got it figured out!!!! As LS1 owners we all go through SOMETHING with are cars that seems so difficult BUT eventually we figure it out. Congrats!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information