Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

help with oil analysis

This is a discussion on help with oil analysis within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by 4.8t could that also be the fact that i was driving down miles and miles of dirt ...

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Quote Originally Posted by 4.8t View Post
    could that also be the fact that i was driving down miles and miles of dirt roads during this oil change. i went back home for a funeral and most of the family lives down dirt roads. i will check over the turbo inlet. what do you guys think of the aem filters? what other filters are good? i need a BIG one. turbo likes lots of air. but for the record no k&n here.
    Amsoil makes a great air filter

Check out compsyn's site.....he's our Amsoil sponser here.

green
    2004 tahoe

i'll check it out.

i never actually paid more than $6 a quart for the royal purple. i seen the other day it was over 8 i about shit. i went with rotella T synthetic 5w40 this time. hope it works out better. i heard it was pretty good stuff. my neighbor is the oil lab guy for the airplanes so i can get this checks when i want.

2001 Black SS #5228

Quote Originally Posted by 4.8t View Post
    Can some one look at my oil analysis and tell me how bad it is.

Iron 69.4, silver 0.1, aluminum 12, chromium 4.0, copper 57.8, magnesium 179, sodium 381, nickel 2.3, lead 10.4, silicon 16.1, tin 0.0, titanium 0.0, boron 2.0, molybdenum 20.1, zinc 629.

This is all part per million.

thanks

this was castrol syntec.
    My understanding is that high sodium readings (potassium as well), like you have, indicate a coolant leak.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by va2001ss View Post
    My understanding is that high sodium readings (potassium as well), like you have, indicate a coolant leak.
    Well some oils have it as a foaming agent like Mobil1....but yes....you will see it in much higher numbers in a coolant (head gasket) leak scenario....you also see it with dirt....that is why he needs to go on short OCI's (3K or even less until he gets that air leak/silicon number down.....until then we are shooting in the dark...

Both my LS1 cars had air leaks because poorly installed air cleaner assemblies from the factory. Both the rubber boot at the frt of the air cleaner was pinched bad underneath leaving a nice big hole for dirt to ever. Couldn't see it unless you removed everything.

The reason i started looking for a air intake leak is because i seen small bits of leaves and bugs stuck on the MAF inlet screen. I knew something wasn't right.

green
    2004 tahoe

well, i just did a head and lifter swap. this was the first oil change since then (i changed it while doing the swap) and the trip to Arkansas where i drove down miles and miles of dirt roads. i'm sure i need a better air filter too. where i live in Maryland there are no dirt roads so it shouldn't be too bad until i can get one.

i did check the filter, it was dusty as shit and the short intake pipe to turbo was coated with a film of dirt and the turbo inlet had a film of dirt on it. very very light dust film. so i cleaned everything.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information