Help! Need new Engine

This is a discussion on Help! Need new Engine within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Hi Everybody. I have been looking around the site and can't find a clear answer. Looks like a spun a ...

Blog Entries

Metallic Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

Help! Need new Engine

Hi Everybody. I have been looking around the site and can't find a clear answer. Looks like a spun a bearing and need to pull out and replace my engine. Since this needs to be done anyway, I figure I would drop in a LS6. Here are the questions I need answered:

1. Besides the Ls6 engine, what else do I need or purchase to make the swap bolt right on?

2. Stock manual transmission has 99K on it. Can I keep it our would it be better to replace it with the more powerful engine?

3. Does the engine need to be tuned after?

4. Where can I get a used or rebuilt Ls6 besides a local junkyard?

My neighbor and I are going to drop the engine ourselves, but this would help me a lot so I am prepared for the drop this spring. Thank you.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Quote Originally Posted by NJ2002WS.6 View Post
    Hi Everybody. I have been looking around the site and can't find a clear answer. Looks like a spun a bearing and need to pull out and replace my engine. Since this needs to be done anyway, I figure I would drop in a LS6. Here are the questions I need answered:

1. Besides the Ls6 engine, what else do I need or purchase to make the swap bolt right on?

Are you getting it used? LS6's have stopped being made for 2 yrs now. Look into other possiblilites. LS2's can be found as well as LQ4/9's all are 6.0 liters, the LS2 is aluminum while the LQ's are iron block. If in a bind and funds are low you can also get a 5.3 truck motor and get close to LS1 power.
    Simply put you have options.

Swapping a motor takes time and tools. You have 2 ways to do so, out the bottom or from the top. Bottom is a little easier but requires a lift, top means you have to bring it down to short block and possible remove the hood.

All of your LS1 accessories will swap over as well as exhaust and tranny to any one of the other motors I talked about above.

2. Stock manual transmission has 99K on it. Can I keep it our would it be better to replace it with the more powerful engine?

You are in need of a new clutch & pressure plate with those miles even if you baby it. Most clutches go/due to be swapped around 70,000 miles. A decent kit is the LS7 clutch kit, goes for $500. It's better then stock and is rated to handle 500 HP/550 lb-tq. I recommend it for med track use and DD. If you are building a track monster then a Moster or SPEC will be needed.

3. Does the engine need to be tuned after?

Depends on if you find a LS1 that is exactly like yours (stock) other wise yes a tune is needed. If you go with a LS6 I would say hit Frost up and his mail order tune should be good. If you start throwing on a cam and heads then a full tune will be needed.
    Expect to be around $500

4. Where can I get a used or rebuilt Ls6 besides a local junkyard?

Good luck finding one, they are being sold for a premium. I gave you other options for blocks in the first question.
    Also the only difference between a LS1 & 6 is the internals (cam and connecting rod length), intake, and 243 heads.

If all you did was just spun a rod you could look into stroker kit. At TS&P they have a 383 stroker kit for about $1800 (that's about half of what you will pay for a LS6). It comes with a new crank, pistons & connecting rods plus bearings.

Put on a LS6 intake and find some 243 or 5.3 heads and you'll have a mean MF.

My neighbor and I are going to drop the engine ourselves, but this would help me a lot so I am prepared for the drop this spring. Thank you.
    I answer in bold.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

One more thing to remember.

If you plan on using ARP bolts for the connecting rods you need to have a machine shop hone them while torque to spec. The arp bolts when torque will oval the crank portion of the rod. Bearing failure will happen.

Blog Entries

Metallic Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

Thanks so much! I didn't realize a Ls2 can directly bolt on? I thought they had different engine mounts. I actually replaced the clutch and pressure plate already, bought it used who knows what owner before me drove it. Looking for a simple swap, going to cherry pick it. Who is Frost and what do they do? How much would the tune be?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

If you're doing the work yourself, why not just fix the spun bearing? Other members have done this in the range of $500.

Just a thought - assuming the rest of the motor wasn't damaged. Take the saved cash and build the rest of the car.

You're not going to get much more power from a LS6 to a LS1 for the cost you'll incur swapping the engine. You already have the LS6 intake on your current motor.

Blog Entries

Metallic Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

I am pretty sure the engine is done. It was knocking from below really bad and when I was driving the car to the mechanic the whole engine shut down. It didn't blow, but simply died so I am not sure what that means. I am assuming the engine is dead unless you can tell me other wise. My neighbor can pull an engine and install but I am not sure if he can rebuild or replace parts.

No way to know unless you look. A spun bearing will sound bad so .... These are stout motors, Im at 146k on the Camaro.
    04 C5 A4 Torch Red

2009 CTS4 Ice Black

2013 1500 Silverado Z71

02 Z/28 M6 Onyx Black All Options - Sold

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

As long as the crank wasn't damaged, I think you'd be OK. But like said, you'd need to tear it down and inspect everything. Lots of work, but also lots to be saved if it's salvageable.
    It's on jackstands.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Pull the pan and look. Check for metal in the oil.

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Pull the pan and look. Check for metal in the oil.
    ^^this. Step number one.

Thread Information