Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

HELP!! My SS Won't Start !!!

This is a discussion on HELP!! My SS Won't Start !!! within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by NastySS Hi All, Yesterday I went to start my car up, and the "Security" light was on ...

black
    2000 trans am ws6 a4

Quote Originally Posted by NastySS View Post
    Hi All,

Yesterday I went to start my car up, and the "Security" light was on again. The car would not start. I went inside to grab some tools to remove the lower dash, and when I came out, the car started right up. The "Security" light was NO longer lit.

I removed the dash anyway to check on the connection. I do have the VATS disabling Resistor/Connection tightly wound with Electrical Tape. I do also know some prefer Soldering the connection, but I wanted to make sure everything was OK before considering Solder. It is a very solid connection, and I saw no way the resistor could have become disconnected or loose, even temporarily.

Now the real questions: Has anyone ever experienced a temporary reversal of the VATS disabling process? Is it possible for the resistor to go bad?

Obviously, I am now carrying extra resistors in the car, as well as the necessary tools, electrical tape, etc., to remove the lower dash and access the connection. Any comments are MOST welcome!!! Thanks,

Tom

PS....This coming Thursday, I am leaving on a 1000 mile round trip (5 day Mini Vacation) with the car, and this is worrying me just a bit.
    when i was putting in my longtubes,i finished the job ans wanted so bad to start the car to hear it run with open headers.well,car would not start.this is after i bypassed vats approx 2 weeks earlier.security light was flashing.i removed the bottom dash panel and everything was right where i left it.resistor was still in the wire harness.i actually had to peel back the electrical tape and wiggle the risistor even though i could physically see it touching both wires.after the wiggle test it started right up and no light on.so yeah,even though its still "touching",sometimes it just doenst want to make contact.hasnt done it since.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

yeah I agree, you really gotta solder it. Or at least use crimp style butt spline connectors and get a nice tight crimp on it.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS 1LE

Thanks for your feedback guys! Now that I think about it, I do NOT think the "Security" light was flashing this time.

I remember a steady light. Doesn't a steady light mean something different? I use to know, but seem to be having a temporary brain Aneurysm?

pewter
    2000 camaro

My 2000 just died thursday from the same deal...2nd time in 3yrs....600$ (from the dealer...i thought robbery was a felony?) for the tow and to get it fixed..please do tell...what is VATS and how do i kill it? A buddy told me to cut the "yellow" wire" and i would be good then he said to "beware because cutting the "orange wire" will trip off the air bags....or was that the yellow wire i cant remember"? i paid the 600$

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Black
    2001 Camaro SS 1LE

Hey wildbanshee,

I followed those exact VATS Disabling instructions, and it worked like a CHARM. Too bad you didn't inquire to this Forum before you spent the $600. The VATS disabling instructions are incredibly well written, very clear, and have excellent pics to go along with the written instructions. If you have a Radio Shack near by, they have an Ohm Meter behind the counter to measure the resistance of your key pellet, so you don't even have to buy one if you don't have one. All it cost me was 99 cents for a 5-pack of resistors, plus some of my time of course. Bottom line, please try to remember to check this Forum when ever you have a problem, as there is SO MUCH valuable information here! And, there are always qualified and concerned members willing to give you tips and tricks to help you with your issue!

PS...To answer one of your questions, VATS is an Acronym for "Vehicle Anti Theft System", which is the system ending in your key lock cylinder that reads the resistance in the "Pellet" in your key, and will prevent your car from starting if a key is tried that does not have a pellet, a key is used that that has the wrong resistance your car is set up for (There are 15 different possibilities), or the key has become defective for some reason (The pellet could have dirt or grease on it, or could have become defective making the reading of the resistance in the key pellet impossible). When VATS is activated, the system prevents electricity from getting to the starter, and disables the fuel delivery system so the car would not start if you were to try to "Bump Start" a car with a manual transmission.
    Last edited by NastySS; 06-08-2010 at 05:03 AM. Reason: Clarification

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    he almost received a surprised

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information