2000 Trans Am

Help with my idle!!!

Well yesterday i drove my car to work! I drove it home changed close and then was to meet my wife at her work. When i started it up my rpms were hovering around 1500-1700 rpms!!! When i put the car in reverse there was a huge "slam" my foot was on the brake like it was trying to surge in reverse. I got it stopped and put it in reverse and the same thing a huge "slam" putting it into drive! I drove to her work chatted with her for about an hour went back out to my car to leave started it up and it runs fine now......this has happened a couple of times the past couple of months so what could be the problem in my signature is what i have done......any input would help!!!~Chris
    2000 Arctic White trans am, ws6 hood, ws6 air box, slp lid, slp smooth bellows, slp loudmouth exhaust,shift kit, rebuilt trans, LS6 intake, 3.73 gears, Shaner S3 p/p throttle body, and a tune . SFC. C6 ZO6 rims 18" in back 17" in front. Drilled and slotted rotors.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

hmm does your shifter move vertically ? possibly trans mounts but wouldnt explain the high rpms. well just to make sure check for vacuum leaks ..like your brake booster hose etc..when those are loose rpms will usually jump..but i dont know by the sounds of it...its transmission based...and i assume the clunking is it engaging at suck high rpms

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    hmm does your shifter move vertically ? possibly trans mounts but wouldnt explain the high rpms. well just to make sure check for vacuum leaks ..like your brake booster hose etc..when those are loose rpms will usually jump..but i dont know by the sounds of it...its transmission based...and i assume the clunking is it engaging at suck high rpms
    Yes that's exactly what it did is engaging and suck at high rpms but why would it do it only certain times? Vacuum leak? ECU what?
    Last edited by clg82; 10-24-2008 at 10:52 AM.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    Yes that's exactly what it did is engaging and suck at high rpms but why would it do it only certain times? Vacuum leak? ECU what?
    idk...the only sometimes makes me doubt vaccum leak..you best send a pm to performabuilt transmission guy and ask...probably some modulator thingy is messed up or something ..sorry i am not more help.

2000 Trans Am

Anyone else with some suggestions?

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

the huge clunk into gear is from the high rpms, theres nothing wrong with your transmition im going to wager...just think about if it were fine and to gave it gas to get it to 1700 rpm then put it into gear its more or less like dropping a clutch... but as to what caused the high idle for one trip and then was fine i would guess its maybe a glitch in the electronics. Mine has done this once or twice, and i found if i shut it down and started again, or just gave it a quick rev once or twice, and restarted it would fix it...

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by suede View Post
    the huge clunk into gear is from the high rpms, theres nothing wrong with your transmition im going to wager...just think about if it were fine and to gave it gas to get it to 1700 rpm then put it into gear its more or less like dropping a clutch... but as to what caused the high idle for one trip and then was fine i would guess its maybe a glitch in the electronics. Mine has done this once or twice, and i found if i shut it down and started again, or just gave it a quick rev once or twice, and restarted it would fix it...
    Will getting a tune help this? I am also going to check for a vacuum leak could this be a cause for it as well?

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

I'm guessing a tune won't but i could be wrong, i think its just a computer glitch that will happen every now and again, a vacuum leak would be more easily fixed, a spray bottle with some water and just a touch of soap like a drop will help find a vacuum leak

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

I have had something simliar to this happen on my cars before. Both issues where the actual throttle cable. On one car a piece of the plastic broke and worked its way up on to cam assembly. It also happened on my 94 camaro once. Not sure what the exact cause was and it only happened once, but the cable again got moved around in a weird way which made not idle correctly. Sorry I know this is not much help, but I would definatly check the cable first to at least make sure something simple is not the problem.

2000 Trans Am

anyone else with a suggestion?

Thread Information