Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black on Black
    2000 Trans Am Ws6

Question Help!!! Motor burning oil?

About every 2,500 miles motor has lost 1 quart of oil. Any Ideas what would cause this? Have no leaks anywhere motor is clean all the time and cant seem to figure it out. No engine codes thrown either.. 5.7 liter V8-ls1, borla exhaust, k&n filter, new wires and sparks... Any help would be greatly appreicated

Thank You
    John
    Last edited by Jetblak; 10-29-2006 at 05:07 PM.

Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

How Many Miles?

If it is not leaking you must be burning it or by-passing the rings. How many miles on the car? Are you running it hard?
    2000 Z28 M6, SLP Lid, SLP Bellows, SLP UD,
    P&P Maf, TB By-Pass, PS Shorties, LS6 Intake, FAST 78mm TB, Hooker CB, Hurst Billet, Front Tower Brace, small 218/218....527/527....114 cam.
    337rwhp/348rwtq

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

LS1's are known to go through some oil. A good amount of it gets sucked through the pcv and back into the intake manifold...some is burned because of the GM's loose tolerances. I'm not sure if the last one is due to GM's lack of quality or if they left too much room for the expansion of the pistons/aluminum block on purpose

You can put a catch can inline with the pcv to seprate the oil and air before it gets into the intake manifold...mine gets about 1/4-1/2 full between oil changes.

EDIT:I've also noticed when I warm her up for a few minutes before driving in the morning I go through less oil.

Black on Black
    2000 Trans Am Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by 89LX View Post
    If it is not leaking you must be burning it or by-passing the rings. How many miles on the car? Are you running it hard?
    It Has 55,054 miles on it. No i dont run it hard.... Every once in awhile i take it above 90miles an hour. Do not do burn outs in it to much either. I treat this car better then some women i have dated(probably why relationship didnt last ).

Black on Black
    2000 Trans Am Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn View Post
    LS1's are known to go through some oil. A good amount of it gets sucked through the pcv and back into the intake manifold...some is burned because of the GM's loose tolerances. I'm not sure if the last one is due to GM's lack of quality or if they left too much room for the expansion of the pistons/aluminum block on purpose

You can put a catch can inline with the pcv to seprate the oil and air before it gets into the intake manifold...mine gets about 1/4-1/2 full between oil changes.

EDIT:I've also noticed when I warm her up for a few minutes before driving in the morning I go through less oil.
    Thank You i was told the car would burn alittle when cold so i try not to run it cold to much. Didnt know that some could get sucked thru pcv then back in to the intake manifold..Will try putting catch inline and see what happens ill keep updates on it to see...
    Thank you again

Ratdaddy07
    So where do you get the catch, mine is using a little oil as well, but I definitely have not been warming her up first. Is that something someone sells or did you make it?

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

You can make one with parts from home depot or you can get one from AMW when they restock....kinda pricey though

http://www.accmachtech.com/pcvcatchcans.htm

ls1 engines burn oil? geez who would guess that a Hi performance race engine on the street would burn oil?mine has burnt 1 qt every 1000-2000 miles since new and at 90k still runs great.

Camaro

You could by part# 12572717 which is a replacement for the PCV valve and that would slow it down or stop it completely as it did in my case.

Black on Black
    2000 Trans Am Ws6

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by LS1Z28 View Post
    You could by part# 12572717 which is a replacement for the PCV valve and that would slow it down or stop it completely as it did in my case.
    Thank You everyone im goin to look at one and try and make it first if it doesnt work ill have to buy one thanx again everyone..

Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by YoMommasTA View Post
    ls1 engines burn oil? geez who would guess that a Hi performance race engine on the street would burn oil?mine has burnt 1 qt every 1000-2000 miles since new and at 90k still runs great.
    Mine needs a quart around every 1200 to 1400 miles .

Black on Black
    2000 Trans Am Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by SSPORT View Post
    Mine needs a quart around every 1200 to 1400 miles .
    So after hearing everyones im glad mines alittle bit longer at around 2500 miles.. cant beileve it would do that though

Black on Black
    2000 Trans Am Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by KageSS View Post
    Believe it.
    Ok so let me ask everyone who can post plz do.
    Does your car burn oil and how much? How many miles want to get a idea here?

RED
    1998 CAMARO Z28

There Its A Lot Of Oil Geting Into The Intake Manifold When You Drive Hard I Just Keep Cleaning The Catch Can Every 1000 Miles Get The New Pcv Valve And A Catch Can I Made Mine With A Compressor Oil Cleaner Cost Like 50 Dlls And A Rubber Line Work Great But You Have To Clean It Because Its A Small Container

White
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn View Post

it could also leak out the housing. I had an issue that gunk had built up at the end of the PVC that buts up to the housing and that gunk did not allow a proper seal, so the oil would dribble down that bracket and on to the head. At first I thought that bolt that connected the bracket to the head was leaking.

the way I fixed it was by taking air intake cleaner and spray the heck out of it and taking a rag to it to wipe the lessened gunk out.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

This is what you should do.

Replace your POS original PCV valve with #12572717 updated fixed orifice type valve.

http://www.mightyautoparts.com/pdf/articles/tt122.pdf

That should help out alot on the burning oil situation.
    orifice.ah funny sounding word.

98' trans am

Yeah shady milkboy, it's what you poop out of.
    hey you put milkboy instead of milkman..hmm must be a typo

White
    '10 ZR1

Mine did too, until we took it to the track at about 2,000 miles. Then it basically stopped using oil, and I have a catch can on it. The theory is that the rings were seated when I ran it hard at the track.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by FasstChevys View Post
    Mine did too, until we took it to the track at about 2,000 miles. Then it basically stopped using oil, and I have a catch can on it. The theory is that the rings were seated when I ran it hard at the track.
    hmm intresting ..sounds good to me. i've never heard of that happening before..but hey thats pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by FasstChevys View Post
    weird but i noticed the same exact thing.We were using 1 qt in 400 miles at times.I took the thing out and hammered the sheeet out of it for about 100 miles,now its using about 1 qt every 2-3k miles.By the way while hammering it i scared the piss outta myself on a 2-3 shift somewhere over the 100 mph mark,neat stuff.

Thread Information