black
    1999 camaro ss

help me pick a motor

im looking in to buying something bigger for my daily diven ss camaro and was wondering what my options are as far as nothing needs to be modified and my fast 92 and american racing 1 7/8 headers will fit. i want smooth reliable power and im not looking for a huge cam either. i was told only ls1s and ls6s will fit. please guys give me some advice

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

It depends how much you wanna spend. And what's your hp goal.
    You can make fit any motor on your car.
    6.0 iron motor should be a good choice and great power with stock bottom end.
    Like me. I'll ver getting 6.0 lq9 with ls6 heads and nice cam.
    Probably reach 450hp. I'll be happy with that.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I would go with the LS6. Your FAST and headers will fit without issue. Plus the cam is more aggressive in the LS6 than the LS1. I have read that the LS6 is no longer available through GMPP, so you could snatch a good, used motor from a salvage yard out of a wrecked C5Z or eBay/Craigslist.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Correct that the LS6 motor is no longer available, however here is a little known secret, since 02 all LS1 blocks have been using the LS6 design. Meaning the only difference between a LS1 02< and a LS6 is the internals (crank, pistons, heads, etc). Also, starting in 02 LS1's have come with a LS6 intake as standard. It's the block that matters in the long run. Unless you are just replacing it to get a little boost of HP and still maintain street drivable you will end up swapping out most of that stuff anyways for a track car. You can get a 04 LS1 from a goat and all you would need to do is swap heads, and cam, crank and pistons if you really wanted to and get a really solid motor.

LS1 designation engines with LS6 blocks
    02 Camaro/Trans Am
    04 GTO
    02 C5 Corvette - Non ZO6

LS6 Engines:
    2001-2004 Corvette C5 ZO6
    2004-2005 Cadillac CTS-V

Op, Ask yourself what are your plans for the car/motor. Track, street, DD. Once you answer that you'll know what to get. LS6 is great, I love it. I had plan on getting one, but my plans have been changed and I know I want something else. For a street car that will do an occasional track use, LS6 is perfect. You can do a cam and heads install and get really good HP numbers.

However if you are in anyway entertaining a FI build in your future, now would be the time to get a LQ9 Iron block. Don't get me wrong, I love the LS6, but I can't see paying double in the long run. Iron blocks can handle the pressures from FI better then aluminum. You do suffer a weight penalty, however there are other ways to reduce weight, example the stock K member vs aftermarket. Some brands you can lose 50-60 lbs of weight and have it twice as strong.

LQ9 Engines:

2002–2006 Cadillac Escalade
    2002–2006 Cadillac Escalade EXT
    2003–2006 Cadillac Escalade ESV
    2003–2007 Silerado SS
    2004–2005 Silerado and GMC Sierra Vortec HO Edition Only [Badging on truck](B4V)
    2006–2007 Classic Silverado and GMC Sierra VortecMAX Option

Hope this helps

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

^Not quite ls6 blocks were not used on every engine until 03. Some 02 cars got the block and also some 01's did but most of the cars still had ls1 blocks. Also every ls1 from 01-up got the ls6 intake not just the 02 cars. With that said OP I like my ls6 it drives jus like an ls1 until you mash the pedal and then it keeps pulling all the way to the 6600 rpm shift. If you just want more power than stock and still have it drive stock the ls6 is for you. I you plan to build a motor I would suggest a 6.0 motor with a decent head/cam setup. Perhaps something in the mid 230's duration with a set of ported 243's, aftermarket casting or a set of l92 heads.
    '

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

So answer a simple question, since apparently I'm going to need a new motor....

I can put a 6.0 in my 02 and everything will swap over? Basically which motor is "plug and play"?

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

yes a 6.0 motor should go in your car with no issues except for the fact you'll need to relocate the knock sensors and use your old intake it will be fine with the one exception is were talking about an lq4,lq9, 05-06 ls2's. with the newer ly6 6.0 you would need other things to complete the swap.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

For sure I know a LS6 is plug & play with a tune. Same components will swap over easy.

Only the LS1/LS6 will be a plug and play deal. Anything else will require at least an adapter harness minimum.

There are plenty of places to shop like, Briggs, Golen, Ketech, Late Model Engines, Lingenfelter, Livernois, Scoggin-Dickey, Speed Inc, SLP, Vengeance, and Texas Speed all offer crate engines in stock or stroker form. Stock type GM replacement engines are also out there. That should give you some price shopping to do. Basically pick your power level and your price limits.

Otherwise you are stuck with shopping for used engines and then looking for a machine shop to do the work. Either way the prices end up being similar when it's all said and done.

Stick with cathedral port heads both for a more usable power curve and more importantly, so you can re-use your FAST 92 setup you already have. No sense in throwing that away.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 08-29-2011 at 10:59 AM.

Thread Information