Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

Help me drop 1-2 tenths (Cheaply)

Ok, here's the deal...I've currently run a best of 12.8. I forget the mph, but the 60 ft is about 2.0 flat. I consistently run 12.9's though. My dad runs consistently 12.7's in his 78 Vette. I'm looking to drop a few tenths with the most cost-effective mods. I am getting a new clutch soon. Here's my mods:

99 Z28
    LS6 Intake manifold
    Ram Intake w/K&N
    Larger MAF
    Ported TB
    Magnaflow Cat-back w/ cutout
    Hypertech Programmer
    3.90 Gears
    Moser axles
    BFGoodrich Drag Radials (I don't launch hard for the sake of my 10 bolt)
    Tubular LCA's
    Subframe connectors
    Removed the spare

Now....what are my best options. I'd like to stay away from nitrous. Plus, my dad has it on his car and I'd like to beat him with out it. I was thinking of a tune. I don't really want to do headers and a y-pipe. And nothing too involved like a cam and heads. Any help?

Black
    2000 TA

well you pretty much ruled everything out besides a tune and launching harder. Start taking anything out of the car that doesnt nned to be there.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

I would practice your launch a little bit. Perhaps if you can get your sixty foot times down a little perhaps your ET will improve with it. But honestly I would go with LT headers and exhaust. They are not too difficult at all and should give you the little extra power you need.
    1999 T/A WS6 Black -------SOLD
    05 mustang Roush sport;
    DOB manifold, m122 SC, 47lb injectors, gt500 TB, roush TVS CAI, Detroit rocker SC grind camshafts, Mac LTs, off road x, roush off road mufflers, roush short throw shifter, kenne bell BAP, Brenspeed 93 octane tune. 479rwhp 436ftlbs SAE.

Pewter
    02 Z28

get a TB mounted torque arm and launch it hard
    2002 Z28 Auto (3.23 gears)
    Mods
    Lid, UD pulley, Shift Kit, 160 Thermo, Y-pipe, Panhard, TB bypass, Bellow, K&N, Strut Brace, Flowmaster, weight reduction.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

I know I could install the headers...I've done it before, but it's kind of a pain. The thing is if you want a good set that will last, it costs alot. Plus, NJ is tough on emissions and I pretty much need cats....even though I wouldn't want to pay for them and put them on.
    What kind of gains do you think I could expect with LT headers and Y-Pipe (HP and 1/4 mile). I would prolly get the tune after them.

NBM
    1998Z28

Get an Adjustable Torque Arm and a real tune!

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by BowtieFever View Post
    I know I could install the headers...I've done it before, but it's kind of a pain. The thing is if you want a good set that will last, it costs alot. Plus, NJ is tough on emissions and I pretty much need cats....even though I wouldn't want to pay for them and put them on.
    What kind of gains do you think I could expect with LT headers and Y-Pipe (HP and 1/4 mile). I would prolly get the tune after them.
    I would say you could probably expect 25-35rwhp. I have been told that 10hp = .1 in the qtr. So lets say you picked up 30rwhp, theoretically you would shave .3 off your ET.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

just take out some weight. 100 pounds is about .1 quicker. lose the jack, spare tire, sub box if you have one. also what tires and wheels are you running? also make sure you have the least amount of gas you need.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Torque arm won't help if you blow out the rearend.

Longtubes should do it. Pacesetters are fairly affordable.
    Or you can take 200 pounds off it. Which starts to effect the basic comforts of the car. Radio, seats, carpet, etc...
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

How about OBX Headers and Y-Pipe. I believe they come with the cats.
    Are the gaskets they provide with the kits any good? Also, do you think the ceramic coating is worth it...for example the Pacesetters (I mean you don't really see the headers and my car stays in a garage)

I already took the spare and jack out. I have no subs and I always race with about an 1/8 of a tank. When I race I run my stock 16" Z28 wheels. By the way my mph was 110. Thanks!

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

It doesn't say you have a lid in there. If you don't, get one. If you want a little extra easy weight redux, remove your rear seat belts. You might try skinnies up front and an underdrive pulley, but that's about all I know to tell ya.

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler99WS6 View Post
    I would say you could probably expect 25-35rwhp. I have been told that 10hp = .1 in the qtr. So lets say you picked up 30rwhp, theoretically you would shave .3 off your ET.
    Why does 10 hp = .1? If your car only had 200 hp, then 10 hp would be like .3 or even more. It really does depend on the application and other mods.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by BowtieFever View Post
    How about OBX Headers and Y-Pipe. I believe they come with the cats.
    Are the gaskets they provide with the kits any good? Also, do you think the ceramic coating is worth it...for example the Pacesetters (I mean you don't really see the headers and my car stays in a garage)

I already took the spare and jack out. I have no subs and I always race with about an 1/8 of a tank. When I race I run my stock 16" Z28 wheels. By the way my mph was 110. Thanks!
    Ceramic Coating isnt necessary, helps with heat to an extent. I went with due to the looks.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by richard head View Post
    Why does 10 hp = .1? If your car only had 200 hp, then 10 hp would be like .3 or even more. It really does depend on the application and other mods.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Are you using the stock shifter? Hypertechs tunes aren't known for being all that great...if you want to stick to handhelds the predator and vinci are by far superior to the hypertech in every way. Otherwise have someone tune with hptuners if you can.

Have you done any free mods?

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

Ooops...I forgot to put that I do have a lid. I have done pretty much all of the free mods. The shifter is stock other than a shorter shaft.

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

I would suggest using a set of runners for the front. Depending on what you are running now could make a big enough difference with relatively low cost and effort.

99 Firebird Formula

Your times are pretty good for what you've got done so far. Your 60' could stand some work, but I understand you are trying to save your 10 bolt. I launched mine pretty hard, I got about 250 passes with nothing higher than a 1.87 60' before it blew.

You said you don't want to do headers, but besides a lid, that would be your next logical step. Spending money on a dyno tune before headers wouldn't be too cost efficient. You can get a set of ceramic coated pacesetters & y for around $500, and install is not difficult at all. That should put you well ahead of pops

Thread Information