Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

black
    2000 trans am ws6 a4

Help!Ls1 wont start unless i crank it 10 seconds

whats up yall.my 98 ws6 is getting on my nerves especially when people are admiring my car and i get in it and it wont start unless i crank it for about 10 seconds.wayyyy too long.most of the time i will crank it for about 1.5 seconds then let off and cycle the key and then the next time i crank it it starts right up.if i dont do that i have to crank it for about 10 seconds before it starts.sometimes it starts and idles very low at first then idles up.is it fuel pump? or Fuel pressure regulator?mines got a return line .its really annoying.please chime in

It has a big wing!

Quote Originally Posted by Leeroyws6 View Post
    whats up yall.my 98 ws6 is getting on my nerves especially when people are admiring my car and i get in it and it wont start unless i crank it for about 10 seconds.wayyyy too long.most of the time i will crank it for about 1.5 seconds then let off and cycle the key and then the next time i crank it it starts right up.if i dont do that i have to crank it for about 10 seconds before it starts.sometimes it starts and idles very low at first then idles up.is it fuel pump? or Fuel pressure regulator?mines got a return line .its really annoying.please chime in
    My brother's 98' TA had the same problem you are describing...

With him it turned out to be the fuel pump... we bought a walbro pump and it fixed the problem immediately.

After a year or so,it started doing it again so,we opened the tank up to find that the hose (short black one) on the pump was almost off! So,we got a new hose and also place a tiny clamp on it for added security and it has been running great for a few years now and still no more hard to start problems...

We also cut an access panel to have easy access to the pump... Look it up,it's really worth the trouble! Reminder: you are working with gasoline,take all precautions such as disconnecting the battery and NO SMOKING! (goes without saying heh?)

Hope this helps you out and good luck!
    1999 Firehawk Trans Am #530

Red
    1998 Trans Am WS6

I had this exact problem and thought it was the fuel pump, intermittent like it was just like yours. Got help on here and this was my fix: replaced starter and ignition relays in the fuse box under the hood. Two little black box relays, around $20 i think, took care of it for me. It's right back to starting on the first crank. If not, u'll need to trouble shoot fuel pressure at the rails, maybe change ur fuel filter (i did this too), check for spark, etc. But bc it's not doing it all the time, sounds like relay to me. Make sure you verify before you go droppin coin and effort into a new pump.

White
    1998 Trans Am

When was the last time you changed the fuel filter? I put a Walbro in my car about a year ago.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

black
    2000 trans am ws6 a4

changed fuel filter less than 5k miles ago.i definatley think its fuel related.

White
    1998 Trans Am

How many miles? I'm thinking the fuel pump if you have a new filter. Also it's good to have the injectors cleaned. I use the in tank cleaner but after my buddy cleaned them at his shop it ran even better.

black
    2000 trans am ws6 a4

Quote Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
    How many miles? I'm thinking the fuel pump if you have a new filter. Also it's good to have the injectors cleaned. I use the in tank cleaner but after my buddy cleaned them at his shop it ran even better.
    i have 134k on her.i will clean the injectors.sounds like a good idea.ive got can at work i can pressurize and run some combustible cleaner through the engine.im thinking fuel pump also.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

sounds like your VATS is about to leave you stranded somewhere soon

black
    2001 camaro ss

start simple/cheap, lucas injector cleaner, and fuel filter. . . worked at advance auto for a while and seen some amazing things from that lucas injector cleaner heard it helps tired fuel pumps . . . something about lubrication qualities. Its a detergent so u cant really over do it or have to worry about hurting anything, i would do that before dropping the tank.

It has a big wing!

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    Could be a possibility but,usually the VATS system when giving trouble will trigger the "security" light and give more of a no start/no crank symptom. The OP says it cranks,which should rule out the VATS...

Just saying because I dealt with a VATS problem with my old SS...

black
    2000 trans am ws6 a4

no its not vats because ive already bypassed it.i believe it to be fuel related.because sometimes car will start but it idles very low like its not getting enough fuel pressure for about 1-2 seconds then it idles up like the fuel pump finally kicked in or something.i gotta check fuel pressure.anyone know what static pressure is supposed to be?

1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Baluchitherium View Post
    Could be a possibility but,usually the VATS system when giving trouble will trigger the "security" light and give more of a no start/no crank symptom. The OP says it cranks,which should rule out the VATS...

Just saying because I dealt with a VATS problem with my old SS...
    mine would do the exact same as he described above, until it finally wouldnt start at all, in which case i towed her home and rigged up a bypass

all our cars do something different, some turn but dont start, then when you try again they will but might struggle a little at first(pass-fail mode,injectors disabled) some wont turn at all and wont start for three minutes(fully operational,starter disabled) and some will start but the security light will just stay lit most of the time(different kind of pass fail mode)

just offering a different solution

1998 Trans Am

no its not vats because ive already bypassed it.i believe it to be fuel related.because sometimes car will start but it idles very low like its not getting enough fuel pressure for about 1-2 seconds then it idles up like the fuel pump finally kicked in or something.i gotta check fuel pressure.anyone know what static pressure is supposed to be?
    fair enough.

black
    2002 firehawk 94 Z28

have you tried turning your key off and on a few times before start it?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

sounds like low fuel pressure, like a bad fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator

black
    2000 trans am ws6 a4

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    dont get me wrong i really appriciate all the advice.my vats might have been giving me some problems with the security light a few weeks ago,but the fine folks on this forum told me how to bypass it.works like a charm.anyhow,yeah i do cycle the key at least twice everytime i start her up.it does seem to help,but most of the time i have to actually crank the starter for a second or two,then cycle the key and crank the starter again,and it always starts.but hardly on the first time i crank it.ill have to check fuel pressure after i get my header issues straightened out.bought some headers off CL and sealed em up.i then pressurized the header to check for leaks and guess what...i bought some leakers.so now my cars apart,and i have to junk these headers.i paid very little for em,but i dont want to put stock exhaust back on...oh well,thats a different post i guess..anyone got some headers for sale?

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM

exact same problem here! havent started to determine yet but ive replaced the fuel filter in the past and it didnt help..

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by t-rock View Post
    have you tried turning your key off and on a few times before start it?
    this might help you for the time being but you really need to trouble shoot it correctly and the first step would be to check your fuel pressure. Gauges are cheap.....~$20 at any parts store.

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    this might help you for the time being but you really need to trouble shoot it correctly and the first step would be to check your fuel pressure. Gauges are cheap.....~$20 at any parts store.
    not very familiar of what the pressure should be..can anyone enlighten me i will be looking into this very soon and want to have many opinions..

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by claytonr View Post
    not very familiar of what the pressure should be..can anyone enlighten me i will be looking into this very soon and want to have many opinions..
    ~58psi
    there's a shrader valve on the end of the drivers side fuel rail you can check it at. If you buy a gauge make sure it works with that valve before you leave the parking lot. I've read where many have gotten the wrong gauge and had to go back. Mine came with a couple different fittings.

Thread Information