Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Help!! !i may have hydrolocked engine after head install!!!

This is a discussion on Help!! !i may have hydrolocked engine after head install!!! within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; After additional research, I have the feeling I hydrolocked a piston....it sounds like when coolant enters the cylinder/piston, and stays ...

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

After additional research, I have the feeling I hydrolocked a piston....it sounds like when coolant enters the cylinder/piston, and stays there for an amount of time, the water seeps through...or maybe when i was trying to crank it after the first afr/intake install, maybe a couple of those cranks took place when the coolant was already in the cylinder...that would mean the piston could not complete its intended travel....no liquid enters the combustion cycle, instead of proper air/fuel combustion.......

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Bad valve seal/s
    Bad valve seals from new AFR heads?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Well with black fouled plugs the first two things that come to my mind are bad valve seals or a bad/leaking head gasket if I'm thinking correctly.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

get a video of it making the sound.....do you happen to have the stock intake you can put on there to test with?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

just to give you an idea....this is what a hydrolocked motor looks like.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    get a video of it making the sound.....do you happen to have the stock intake you can put on there to test with?
    Yes, I have the LS6 intake in the garage.....You think it's worth switching out?....

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    just to give you an idea....this is what a hydrolocked motor looks like.

Wow Orion! I hope that's not my engine! That block was what I would call catastrophic.....

98 Formula
    06 duramax

when there's water in the cylinder it doesn't compress so that energy has to go somewhere. Normally it'll goes out the side of the block. I would really like to hear a video of your car running. Look.....it could be something major but before jumping to that conclusion I'd rule out all the little stuff first. I suppose you could have a bent connecting rod or a spun bearing or something but I would make sure it isn't something smaller and easier to fix first. Post a video.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

That makes a lot more sense.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Ok guys here is an update. I swapped the LS6 manifold on just to see if there were any improvements to my vehicles condition. I also did this because the ls6 intake has the provision for our map sensors to be secured correctly. I also looked over the injectors and all seems ok...

I started the car and let it idle until it was at normal operating temperature. But before this I checked my rocker arms, which were fine. However I noticed it was dry in the crankcase/rocker arm area....I realized I hadn't let the car warm up long enough to allow the lifters to get unclogged and pump the oil correctly.....I think that is what the shaking noise was..,,,after letting the vehicle idle long enough, the noise/shaking dissipated...

But when I tried to press on the gas, the engine has a LOUD popping noise! Even when I turned the engine off yesterday, it popped and kinda shut off on it's own, not on command....so I'm thinking that's the computer giving/taking fuel intermittently...yes, the P0107 code set during idling..l.realize at this point it's a ground/wiring issue....I will perform a map volt test and go from there......I researched and saw that it's not another wiring short from another connector, it's specific to voltage.....perhaps all that coolant that spilled out of my heads infiltrated a ground/wire somewhere...........

Hopefully I am on the right track.......my oil pressure was fine upon start up/warm up.....
    Last edited by jb3golf; 01-14-2013 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Spelling error

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Are the ground wires secure on the back of the driver side head? Just sounds like something isn't real happy.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Yeah, there secured.....in fact I checked those while the manifold was off. I Do have a quick question; I never screwed back in the passenger side strap ground.....it's the one that holds all the wiring in a more upright position..l read it has nothing to do with anything effecting the engine..is is correct?

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Btw it's the one that straps to the passenger side head........

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I'm not sure exactly which ground wire you're talking about. If it's a true ground wire though I would connect it. Go to gearchatter.com and read on that p107 code....excellent troubleshooting in that chart. Have you at least chased that harness to make sure it isn't pinched or melted to a header or something? Another thing to look at is the pcm connector and make sure there's no corrosion in that connector.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

Quote Originally Posted by jb3golf View Post
    Yeah, there secured.....in fact I checked those while the manifold was off. I Do have a quick question; I never screwed back in the passenger side strap ground.....it's the one that holds all the wiring in a more upright position..l read it has nothing to do with anything effecting the engine..is is correct?
    If it's nothing more than a "mounting" screw and not an actual purpose screw, then I don't see a prob with not using this. BUT if that keep the wires from getting smashed under the head, then maybe these wires are crushed and grounded under the head which would def give you a dead short. If your certain they are OK, then don't sweat it. I don't think coolant on a ground wire would affect anything because almost all ground connections are subject to moisture and water all the time. A wire harness however with a battery or hot lead would def give you a problem if it got wet with coolant and got plugged together while it was still wet, holding in the moisture and causing a short.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

So the engine runs at idle, but dies and "pops" when you give it throttle? Is the popping from the intake manifold. like a backfire? Maybe you have a major vacuum leak. Maybe where the 8mm socket has crushed the gasket on the intake manifold? Hole in the hose going to the brake booster? Just wondering.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by RONS98TA View Post
    So the engine runs at idle, but dies and "pops" when you give it throttle? Is the popping from the intake manifold. like a backfire? Maybe you have a major vacuum leak. Maybe where the 8mm socket has crushed the gasket on the intake manifold? Hole in the hose going to the brake booster? Just wondering.
    This is what i was thinking too but he said he swapped back to the ls6 intake. It could be the harness to the map but a wicked vacuum leak would be my starting point.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

What is your idle rpm? If you slowly crack the throttle open what happens?

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

If it's nothing more than a "mounting" screw and not an actual purpose screw, then I don't see a prob with not using this. BUT if that keep the wires from getting smashed under the head, then maybe these wires are crushed and grounded under the head which would def give you a dead short. If your certain they are OK, then don't sweat it. I don't think coolant on a ground wire would affect anything because almost all ground connections are subject to moisture and water all the time. A wire harness however with a battery or hot lead would def give you a problem if it got wet with coolant and got plugged together while it was still wet, holding in the moisture and causing a short.
    Yep....in fact I am going to clean and re-attach my main ground..the one just above the alternator.....

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Actually, it idles fine on its own.....however when I turned the engine off, it popped and died on its own...as in there was a delay.......weird.....

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information