Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Help!! !i may have hydrolocked engine after head install!!!

This is a discussion on Help!! !i may have hydrolocked engine after head install!!! within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I still think its been a strange ride here........the fact my plugs were all fouled when I took them out ...

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

I still think its been a strange ride here........the fact my plugs were all fouled when I took them out tells me that even if the map was working, The car still wouldnt have the spark to properly combust........on top of that, the fact my fuel pressure was dropping to zero after the prime is strange as well........I mean wow! I thought it drove fine before the installs! Lol.....

What's next, I bet my fuel filter will be clogged!?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by jb3golf View Post
    Ok Orion, sorry if I misspelled that....! One quick note: I installed a new map sensor 2 days ago; but the car still didn't start.....and my p0107 still came up.......I returned that sensor and purchased a new one earlier today......From researching it seems that my fuel filter could be part of the problem as well.......im going to change the fuel filter, the map, the battery and see what my results are.....I'm curious to see if changing the filter will increase my fuel pressure to stay at 58 instead of dropping to 51-52.......if it is clogged, it could be contributing to this.......
    it's your MAP......either a vacuum leak, bad sensor (which you replaced), or an issue with the harness/connector. If all those check out then you have a massive vacuum leak elsewhere or issues further up the harness. That code is for low voltage which is basically saying the vacuum should be lower than it is.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I still think its been a strange ride here........the fact my plugs were all fouled when I took them out tells me that even if the map was working, The car still wouldnt have the spark to properly combust........on top of that, the fact my fuel pressure was dropping to zero after the prime is strange as well........I mean wow! I thought it drove fine before the installs! Lol.....

What's next, I bet my fuel filter will be clogged!?
    depending on how fouled......the ls1 coils are hot as hell. They'll fire through quite a bit of crud. Pressure was 58 with the pump running so once the car fired up it would've ran. I wouldn't worry about any of this just yet....figure out what the issue is with your MAP first.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Once spark plugs are fouled, even cleaning them and hitting them with a torch sometimes isn't enough to bring them back to life. Been there done that, most recently with our home generator that required a new plug to get it to start.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Once spark plugs are fouled, even cleaning them and hitting them with a torch sometimes isn't enough to bring them back to life. Been there done that, most recently with our home generator that required a new plug to get it to start.
    Yep....I've been wondering that same thing...l just purchased new plugs, so I think I will install them......

Ok guys here's my gameplan for this afternoon:

1. Replace MAP sensor
    2. Replace fuel filter
    3. Replace battery
    4. Attempt to start vehicle

If 1-4 don't work, I'll pull the cleaned/formerly fouled plugs and replace them with new ones.....

If the above gameplan doesnt produce desired results, I will perform the following:

5. Get my head examined by a shrink!! Lol

98 Formula
    06 duramax

in post 8 you said something about epoxy on the map sensor or something? What's that about? You gotta get a good seal back there...if it's not right don't install it. What kind of epoxy did you put on it and does it come off? No way I'd put that on a $1000 intake.

white
    2001 Z28

On my fast 102 i har to drill out the hole for the map sensor because it comes with two mounting options. Not sure if this is the case on the 92 but did you finish drilling out the hole?
    2001 Camaro Z28 - AFR210 V2 Heads, JPH Cam, Fast 102mm intake, TS 100mm MAF, NW 102 TB, FTP 104mm lid, kooks 1 3/4 Long tubes, custom Y pipe w/dump, BMR LCA,TQ. Arm,PH bar, lca bracket,k member, Upper/Lower A arms, AFCO shocks
    11.20@120MPH
    459 RWHP and 410 RWTQ

2009 Stryker Blue Pontiac G8 GT

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Ok guys, you will NEVER guess what happened today...........So, I install the fuel filter, replace the map sensor, recheck my fuel pressure....and change the car battery out....

Next, I keep thinking about Orion's statement about too much vacuum which signifies a substantial leak..........somehow I realized the intake has to be part of my problem.....

So, I proceed to uninstall the fast 92 in hopes of maybe seeing a loose connection or something having to do with the map sensor...........

As I am pulling the intake up and outward, GUESS what is sitting on the right Rear corner of the valley cover?????

The 8mm socket I used to install the fast valley cover bolts!!!!! At first I couldnt believe what my eyes were seeing!!! It's just sitting there......looking at me...and I nearly passed out....I mean how many surprises can one man take! Lol

NOW we all know why the map sensor code appeared, and why my engine couldn't start...and why it continued to backfire/pop/stumble ....intake wasn't seating properly........I mean MAP: manifold absolute pressure !!!!

All I can say is I am amazed at the journey.....the funny thing is, I found so many other issues WE recognized and fixed along the way......
    What's funny now is..........I haven't had time to actually start it up yet.....I was rushing to put everything back together, but simply didn't have time to start her up.......

Well, it's too late on the west coast and I don't want to wake up my neighborhood just yet.......so the plot thickens.....hopefully in the morning I will finally have the best news....and arrive at my destination........stay tuned...
    Last edited by jb3golf; 01-07-2013 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Too many words

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    in post 8 you said something about epoxy on the map sensor or something? What's that about? You gotta get a good seal back there...if it's not right don't install it. What kind of epoxy did you put on it and does it come off? No way I'd put that on a $1000 intake.
    No epoxy or anything like that was used during this install....the fast is new black 92 version, which already has a map sensor hole pre installed.....I just said that I used some sealant because my map sensors gasket had eroded and wouldn't seal tightly........

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

I will absolutely post a video and a few photos once everything is solved...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

damn.....you didn't start it? I'm sure that was your issue though. It at least sounds like it was. Update and let us know how it goes. Good luck.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Wow. That certainly does sound like the issue.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

Ok guys, you will NEVER guess what happened today...........So, I install the fuel filter, replace the map sensor, recheck my fuel pressure....and change the car battery out....

Next, I keep thinking about Orion's statement about too much vacuum which signifies a substantial leak..........somehow I realized the intake has to be part of my problem.....

So, I proceed to uninstall the fast 92 in hopes of maybe seeing a loose connection or something having to do with the map sensor...........

As I am pulling the intake up and outward, GUESS what is sitting on the right Rear corner of the valley cover?????

The 8mm socket I used to install the fast valley cover bolts!!!!! At first I couldnt believe what my eyes were seeing!!! It's just sitting there......looking at me...and I nearly passed out....I mean how many surprises can one man take! Lol

NOW we all know why the map sensor code appeared, and why my engine couldn't start...and why it continued to backfire/pop/stumble ....intake wasn't seating properly........I mean MAP: manifold absolute pressure !!!!

All I can say is I am amazed at the journey.....the funny thing is, I found so many other issues WE recognized and fixed along the way......
    What's funny now is..........I haven't had time to actually start it up yet.....I was rushing to put everything back together, but simply didn't have time to start her up.......

Well, it's too late on the west coast and I don't want to wake up my neighborhood just yet.......so the plot thickens.....hopefully in the morning I will finally have the best news....and arrive at my destination........stay tuned...
    8mm socket = MAJOR vacuum leak!! lol. Good news is now you have a new fuel pump and wont have to buy a 8mm socket next time you need to use it! Good luck with the start up. I wouldn't have waited, my neighbors would of just hated me for 5 min!!

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

tool count is soooo very important...........

Hope this fixes it for you........I'm amazed nothing more catastrophic happen.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I was just going to suggest you had an 8mm socket in there too. What a coincidence.
    pajeff02 likes this.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

what about an update? Did it start and run?

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    what about an update? Did it start and run?
    Ok, guys...sorry for the late response but work has me slammed.....anyways after re-installing everything the car started up, and now actually stays running. However every 1 second or so there is a big thump/shake that comes from the engine. While it was idling I would give it a little gas, but it would start popping.

FYI, I also changed all the plugs that I cleaned, and installed new ones. One interesting thing is the used/cleaned plugs I took out were mostly fouled with dark residue. That indicates something because I only started the car once and let it idle before pulling them out and replacing them.

I also changed the oil/filter because the oil I originally placed in the engine (after first afr head/fast install) was very dirty, even though the car never ran.......at this point im not sure what is next except for the following:

1. Compression test of cylinders
    2. Re-check my rocker's to make sure they didn't come loose.
    3. Realize that one or more of my rings may be fried, or perhaps some other engine damage like a hydrolocked piston or rod being compromised.

Of course #3 is the situation I fear, as this means the engine will have to be pulled. I couldn't imagine engine damage though since the car never ran or get to a hot operating temperature. Thoughts?

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

I hope a valve isnt stuck open. The engine sounds like a cylinder may have low compression....why else would it still pop (when i give it gas in an idling state)......

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

I know the plugs are new and the fuel system is in working order....I have no misfire codes,O2 codes, or anything indicating an exhaust leak...So I seem to have air, spark and fuel........has to be internal I'm thinking......

I'm thinking I will record some video of it idling and post it.....

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Bad valve seal/s

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information