Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Help!! !i may have hydrolocked engine after head install!!!

This is a discussion on Help!! !i may have hydrolocked engine after head install!!! within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I actually have a new tre performance fuel pump in my garage, thinking this would be needed. I simply forgot ...

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

I actually have a new tre performance fuel pump in my garage, thinking this would be needed. I simply forgot about it because of my concern over my installs! I fabricated a trap door for the pump, so I think I will take the pump out and have the tre unit installed on the assembly. This should only take an hour or so for a mechanic to do. I may even look into doing it myself. I will update everyone once I complete the pump install.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

That would explain it. When diagnosing an engine running problem, starting with the basics is always a good idea -- fuel, air, and spark.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by jb3golf View Post
    Ok guys I believe I figured out what may be happening. A couple months leading up to the install i was having a fuel pump issue. My fuel pressure wouldn't even get to 30 psi. It always took me 2-3 times of cranking for enough fuel pressure to eventually catch.

This may explain Orion, why after the install the car took two cranks to start, but then started stumbling soon thereafter. I forgot to mention that. That's probably why the engine started shaking and popping, AFTER idling perfect for about a minute. There simply was not enough fuel to create proper combustion!

I'm very confident this is the problem. I know I took my time with the install and checked everything! Please chime in if this makes more sense now! Thanks!
    yep....that makes sense. Have you verified pressure at the rail? I would probably start there before just tearing into it.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

While reading through this thread, that's exactly what I was thinking. As stated, check the fuel pressure - you should see around 58 psi at the rail.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Yeah, the last time I checked the pressure it wasn't even reaching 40 psi. And boy the needle was very very slow as it climbed in numbers. I will re check this but now the issue is whether it is the pump, the fuel pump relay, wiring issues etc...

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

The pump primes right away, so I'm thinking it's not the wiring. I know my grounds were properly tightened to the back of my driver's side head. I remember about 6 months ago, when all of a sudden my car took 2-3 cranks to start. That sounds like the pump going out to me.....I'll check back in when I verify the fuel pressure.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Ok, I performed the fuel pressure test. Here are the results:

1. Upon turning the key to on position: Pressure hits 58 psi, then goes RIGHT BACK to zero after pump stops priming!! We have a fuel issue gentleman!! This tells me the fuel isn't holding AT ALL. Prime stops, fuel drops.....whats my issue Orion! lol.....

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by jb3golf View Post
    Ok, I performed the fuel pressure test. Here are the results:

1. Upon turning the key to on position: Pressure hits 58 psi, then goes RIGHT BACK to zero after pump stops priming!! We have a fuel issue gentleman!! This tells me the fuel isn't holding AT ALL. Prime stops, fuel drops.....whats my issue Orion! lol.....
    Sounds like the pump isn't able to maintain the pressure to the rails. It could be the fuel pump or a leak. Do you smell fuel at all?
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

When was the fuel filter last changed?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

sometimes the plastic tubing cracks and when it does it lets the pressure prime but after it does it slowly leaks (depending on how big the crack is) back into the tank. How full is the tank? Depending on how full it kinda indicates how high the crack may be.

Maybe time for a racetronix pump?

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    Sounds like the pump isn't able to maintain the pressure to the rails. It could be the fuel pump or a leak. Do you smell fuel at all?
    No smell of fuel at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    When was the fuel filter last changed?
    About 5 to 7,000 miles ago.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Yeah, I have a TRE pump unit that came with a 1 year warranty in the garage. Last night I read up on the install instructions. Basically the same as the other aftermarket pumps. Seems pretty simple once you know how to dismantle the fuel pump assembly.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

I'm going to go ahead and do the fuel pump swap either later tonight or early morning. I Also purchased a fuel pump relay, but I can't seem to find where it is in the car. I checked the passenger side wiring in the car, but didn't see it. I will go ahead and check the drivers side to see if it's hiding there. I doubt the relay is causing this quick drop in pressure......

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Ok I just read up on the fuel pump relays function. It sounds like the pump relay isn't the culprit; it's job is to prime the pump at start up, and turn it off when the engine cuts off.......

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Correct. The pump runs momentarily when you energize the ignition. I have never paid attention to what my fuel pressure does if I do not then start the engine right away.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Ok guys here is an update: took the fuel pump out and dismantled it; guess what I find!! A leak in the plastic tubing that connects to the pump! SMWS6TA you called it!!

This explains the priming/pressure issue. So i replaced the tubing, buttoned it back up and my pressure shoots to 58, then holds at about 51-52 psi. This told me the original pump is still doing its job. Although the pressure should hold at 58ish.....right?

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

I am about to crank the engine momentarily.....wish me luck gentleman!

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

And the verdict is.....

98 Formula
    06 duramax

sounds like you're on the right track. What did you replace that hose with?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post
    And the verdict is.....
    He may still be driving the piss out of it...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information