Thread: Help with EGR

Red
    98 SS Camaro

Help with EGR

I just purchased a set of headers from pacesetter and it didn't come with the EGR hookups. Should i be worried at all about this? Will it affect my car in any positive aspect such as more horsepower?

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Sounds like you ordered the headers for 01-02....if you need the egr for emissions in your state i'd bring the headers back and get the correct ones.

Otherwise just take the egr out, get a ls6 intake manifold or just plug up the hole on the ls1 manifold and tune the egr codes out.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

You actually have a couple of hookups for the headers. You have one on the passenger side for the EGR and one on each side for the a.i.r. system. If you have neither of those then you ordered the race style headers and will either have to swap them for emissions style headers or remove the egr AND air from the car. I have emissions style on mine but removed both. If you have emissions testing that could be a problem but if you don't then removing both systems is a pretty easy thing to do. You'll just have to have the codes turned off so you don't get an SES light. Also, on my 98 after removing the egr I had to do a little work to the timing tables because I started seeing a little knock after ditching the egr. Removing both is primarily a cosmetic deal because you won't pick up much if anything HP wise.

Red
    98 SS Camaro

thanks. I have my mechanic putting them on now. He is just going bypass the EGR on the car he said. In reference to changing the timing and reprograming the computer on the car, how expensive is that?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

well, that kinda depends on what your definition of expensive is. I look at it more as an investment because if you keep modding your car then having the tuning software is pretty much mandatory. HPtuners is the most popular software out there. www.hptuners.com
    Having a pro tune it is also an option but keep in mind most of those guys charge ~$450 to do it.

Red
    98 SS Camaro

just got the headers on and it runs great. I had the check engine light come up though. Besides that everything is great and now i have to look for someone to reprogram the computer.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

nice.... having the egr code deleted while they tune it shouldnt be a problem, it is done quite often. should be anywhere from $200-400 for the tune. Or like others said, you can buy the software and learn to do it yourself.
    1999 T/A WS6 Black -------SOLD
    05 mustang Roush sport;
    DOB manifold, m122 SC, 47lb injectors, gt500 TB, roush TVS CAI, Detroit rocker SC grind camshafts, Mac LTs, off road x, roush off road mufflers, roush short throw shifter, kenne bell BAP, Brenspeed 93 octane tune. 479rwhp 436ftlbs SAE.

Thread Information