Results 1 to 18 of 18

HELP! Budget Build Up

This is a discussion on HELP! Budget Build Up within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Hi. I am about to purchase a 98-02 camaro/firebird. I am leaning toward a 01 Z28 Camaro M6. I am ...

  1. #1
    From 2JZ to V8 juiceboxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Age
    35
    Posts
    66

    HELP! Budget Build Up

    Hi. I am about to purchase a 98-02 camaro/firebird. I am leaning toward a 01 Z28 Camaro M6. I am going to have about 4k to put into mods, etc.
    What do you guys think I should get? (Imagine the car I buy is 100% stock)

    Thanks Everyone!

  2. #2
    From 2JZ to V8 juiceboxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Age
    35
    Posts
    66
    Even though it is a small budget, I do not want boot leg of half-assed products. If that plays into the picture of knowing what to get.
    Looking to buy a 98-02 Camaro/Trans Am!
    PM me if you have one for sale!

  3. #3
    From 2JZ to V8 juiceboxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Age
    35
    Posts
    66
    What do y'all think? Help me out!

  4. #4
    Jesus died to save you! Killer_bluebird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    North Olmsted, OH
    Age
    41
    Posts
    508

    Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

    What do you want the car to do? Street/Strip? Street/AutoX? Street/Road Course? The order of the mods will be determined by what you want to do with the car and the areas of focus. If you do installs yourself you can strech the money a bit.
    2000 NBM Camaro Z28
    Mods:
    SLP Lid & K&N, AHR Headers + 3" catted Y and Mangaflow, !EGR, !AIR, BMR CM STB, ST Front 35mm and Hellwig Adj. Rear 22mm Swaybar, Adj. Rod/Rod PHB, Koni SA's, Ground Control Springs & Adj. Ride height, and HPTuners.

  5. #5
    Member Capster78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Newport News Va
    Age
    38
    Posts
    578

    Silver
    1998 WS6 M6

    Id do suspension, headers, ls6 intake, high flow cats, drag radials, and loudmouth exhaust.

    Get you some Sub frame connectors, Spohn race rear sway bar, spohn adjustable torque arm, and if you can afford it, tubular k-member and A-arms.

    Thats if your looking for just a one shot deal that you will get the most out of. If you are considering this just a steping stone of mods to come id start with a 12 bolt and do the whole suspension.

  6. #6
    From 2JZ to V8 juiceboxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Age
    35
    Posts
    66
    Im looking to keep it street legal and use as a daily driver.

  7. #7
    Member Capster78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Newport News Va
    Age
    38
    Posts
    578

    Silver
    1998 WS6 M6

    Street leagal is a very vauge term. Daily driver is too. Some states consider a car with just a modified exhaust to be illegal. Some people think aftermarket exausts are to loud or... some cams are to agressive, while others are okay. Some people can do without their A/C's and others cant part with them. You need to be more specific.

  8. #8
    From 2JZ to V8 juiceboxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Age
    35
    Posts
    66
    Allright. I need a VERY reliable car. I need one that can get me from school to school and around the state. I live in california, so the dB has to be under 98 dB. I have a smog hook up, so that doesnt matter. I will drive this car roughly 20 miles a day, but I want it to be faster than the average car out there.

  9. #9
    From 2JZ to V8 juiceboxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Age
    35
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78
    Id do suspension, headers, ls6 intake, high flow cats, drag radials, and loudmouth exhaust.

    Get you some Sub frame connectors, Spohn race rear sway bar, spohn adjustable torque arm, and if you can afford it, tubular k-member and A-arms.

    Thats if your looking for just a one shot deal that you will get the most out of. If you are considering this just a steping stone of mods to come id start with a 12 bolt and do the whole suspension.
    Sorry, what is a 12 bolt?

  10. #10
    Member Capster78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Newport News Va
    Age
    38
    Posts
    578

    Silver
    1998 WS6 M6

    its a stronger rear end than the stock one.

  11. #11
    From 2JZ to V8 juiceboxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Age
    35
    Posts
    66
    How much are those? What brands are the better ones?
    Last edited by juiceboxx; 03-16-2006 at 04:28 PM.

  12. #12
    From 2JZ to V8 juiceboxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Age
    35
    Posts
    66
    How are the SLP loudmouth compared to flowmasters and borla exhausts?
    What intake should I buy?
    What should be bought third?

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    illinois
    Age
    34
    Posts
    106

    torch red
    99 c5

    with four grand i would do the following mods 100 hp nitrous kit 1,000 installed
    3.73 ring and pinion 600.00 installed!!
    computer tuning 500.00 flp performance
    quick time cutouts 500.00 installed
    cold air kit 200.oo install yourself
    jegs biggest that will fit on car drag radials 500.00 installed
    cut your shifter in half and reweld it for a short throw FREEBIE
    save the other 400 for a solobaric in the back
    if your car does not do 11.9's to 12.3's you can punch me in the face
    i dont want to hear anyone tell me that this car wont be a fast mother f'er and totally streetable... damn does this little nitrous burning c5 owner know it all or what...

  14. #14
    From 2JZ to V8 juiceboxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Age
    35
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by c5andtyphoon
    with four grand i would do the following mods 100 hp nitrous kit 1,000 installed
    3.73 ring and pinion 600.00 installed!!
    computer tuning 500.00 flp performance
    quick time cutouts 500.00 installed
    cold air kit 200.oo install yourself
    jegs biggest that will fit on car drag radials 500.00 installed
    cut your shifter in half and reweld it for a short throw FREEBIE
    save the other 400 for a solobaric in the back
    if your car does not do 11.9's to 12.3's you can punch me in the face
    i dont want to hear anyone tell me that this car wont be a fast mother f'er and totally streetable... damn does this little nitrous burning c5 owner know it all or what...
    I want to stay away from the spray. You wouldnt install an exhaust?

  15. #15
    Member Capster78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Newport News Va
    Age
    38
    Posts
    578

    Silver
    1998 WS6 M6

    bottles are for babies. Power on tap when you can afford to fill the bottle. Bad enough you have to pay out the ass for gas. Now you have to fill a bottle.. naaaa..

  16. #16
    From 2JZ to V8 juiceboxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Age
    35
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78
    bottles are for babies. Power on tap when you can afford to fill the bottle. Bad enough you have to pay out the ass for gas. Now you have to fill a bottle.. naaaa..
    Well said. What octane do people use with SS Camaros?

  17. #17
    quicky06
    Guest
    93 octane. anything else and it will be knockin on your door

  18. #18
    Tech Junkie hammertime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Belleville, IL
    Posts
    400

    Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

    If you are getting an '01, you won't need an intake. You'll get the LS6 intake on any 01-02 car that is worth 7-10 rwhp over the previouse years LS1 intake.

    Cutouts are the easiest way to open up your exhaust for performance, but not have an obnoxious sound the rest of the time. Many people prefer a cat back of some sort to get a better sound when driving (stock is pretty quiet).

    I'd say do a lid and high flow filter, headers and and off road Y if you really have a smog hookup. You may decide you like the way it sounds with the headers and no cats and save your money on the cat back. Once you've got the supporting mods, heads and cam will make a huge difference (a package from PATRIOT PERFORMANCE is probably the best bang for the buck). After all that, you'll make the most of your mods with a good dyno tune. Then you'll want some subframe connectors and rear lower control arms to put it to the ground, along with some drag radials.

    Engine mods $2250 - $2750 depending on what headers you choose.
    Tuning $300 - $500 depending on tuner
    Chassis & Suspension $300 - 400
    Drag Radials $300

    $3450 - $3950
    Hammer - hammertime.us
    2001 Light Pewter Metallic Camaro SS, 6 speed
    K&N, SLP Lid, SLP y-pipe, GMMG cat-back, Lou's Short Stick - more to come!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •