Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

HELP ! Bucking and jerking when trying to maintain speed!

This is a discussion on HELP ! Bucking and jerking when trying to maintain speed! within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; It could have very well been a partially clogged filter which would result in low fuel pressure. Either way, keep ...

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

It could have very well been a partially clogged filter which would result in low fuel pressure. Either way, keep us posted. Hopefully it turns out to be that simple!

SOM
    2002 SS

Yeah if it doesnt happen again I think I'm going to cut this filter open to have a look. I can't see how it would cause the car to run rich though. Maybe the injectors were being held open way too long to compensate for lack of fuel supply I dunno.. Kinda doesn't compute to me. Still going to go to the exhaust guy this week. Funny enough he just opened shoppe 5 mins from me when he used to be 40 mins away!

black
    2000 Z28

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    if it's doing it when it's completely cold that would almost rule out O2's since they aren't functioning then anyhow. The O2's close the loop once the car comes up to temp. I would look more at cleaning your MAF and look for vacuum leaks. How's your idle?
    Thanks for the help Orion! I sprayed the MAF today real quick as I had to go to work. The car is now running fantastic. Just a 5 second squirt and all is good. Any idea why I would get knock above 5000 rpms. I have a SLP tune and have pulled at least 3 degrees of timing out of it between 4000 and 7000. Congrats 5abivt, sounds like yours is running well too.

SOM
    2002 SS

So far still running PERFECT!!!! I almost can't believe it really.. Unless this is an intermittent problem that last surfaced when the previous owner had it and was the reason he sold it.. It's completely gone. 3 days now to and from work and late a few times (=really really fast driving ) and it's hasn't hesitated a single time anywhere at any speed too!!

I almost can't believe it but OH MY GOD PEOPLE CHANGE YOUR FUEL FILTERS !!!!!

I never imagined a cheap part that takes 10 mins to install could cause such a problem. I will report back soon again to confirm it was the issue. I'll also take a pic perhaps it was an original filter?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by AllBlackZ28 View Post
    Thanks for the help Orion! I sprayed the MAF today real quick as I had to go to work. The car is now running fantastic. Just a 5 second squirt and all is good. Any idea why I would get knock above 5000 rpms. I have a SLP tune and have pulled at least 3 degrees of timing out of it between 4000 and 7000. Congrats 5abivt, sounds like yours is running well too.
    did you take that MAF out of the intake tract and hose it front and back? If not I would suggest doing that....the back of it is open and you can really soak those wires from that direction.
    How much timing are you running? There's more to knock than just timing .....what does your air fuel ratio look like? Do you have a wideband to verify your AFR? Are you still on stock exhaust manifolds? If so what are your O2 voltages at WOT?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    So far still running PERFECT!!!! I almost can't believe it really.. Unless this is an intermittent problem that last surfaced when the previous owner had it and was the reason he sold it.. It's completely gone. 3 days now to and from work and late a few times (=really really fast driving ) and it's hasn't hesitated a single time anywhere at any speed too!!

I almost can't believe it but OH MY GOD PEOPLE CHANGE YOUR FUEL FILTERS !!!!!

I never imagined a cheap part that takes 10 mins to install could cause such a problem. I will report back soon again to confirm it was the issue. I'll also take a pic perhaps it was an original filter?
    hopefully that ends up being your problem....sounds like it might've been. Never underestimate the power of proper maintenance.

Awaiting Activation
    n/a

hopefully that ends up being your problem....sounds like it might've been. Never underestimate the power of proper maintenance.
    Same thing happened to me...

SOM
    2002 SS

did you take that MAF out of the intake tract and hose it front and back? If not I would suggest doing that....the back of it is open and you can really soak those wires from that direction.
    How much timing are you running? There's more to knock than just timing .....what does your air fuel ratio look like? Do you have a wideband to verify your AFR? Are you still on stock exhaust manifolds? If so what are your O2 voltages at WOT?
    I did hose the maf from both ends and I thought I noticed improved response but the bucking was still there.

timing I dont know. tune was done in cali by previous owner. No wideband. Kooks Stainless longtubes kooks catted Y, stock piping to B&B muffler and cme. didnt check o2 voltages at wot.

One thing I did remember which might be important... On Sunday I think it was i did fill up with 94 octane gas (in th epic on p.4). perhaps it is knock? i normall y put in 91 with is premium most places.

Awaiting Activation
    n/a

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    I did hose the maf from both ends and I thought I noticed improved response but the bucking was still there.

timing I dont know. tune was done in cali by previous owner. No wideband. Kooks Stainless longtubes kooks catted Y, stock piping to B&B muffler and cme. didnt check o2 voltages at wot.

One thing I did remember which might be important... On Sunday I think it was i did fill up with 94 octane gas (in th epic on p.4). perhaps it is knock? i normall y put in 91 with is premium most places.
    Should be the other way around right?

SOM
    2002 SS

Not sure what you meant or if I just wasn't clear.. I always use 91 and the bucking was happening. I filled up with 94 like an hour after I did the fuel filter and it hasn't done it since. Safe to say it's either the higher octane or the fuel filter.

I normally don't use 94 because ethanol is a waste. Both my bikes and my vette made less power with it than with ethanol-free 91 from shell.

SOM
    2002 SS

I'll probably have to fill up by tomorrow I'll put 91 in again and see what happens

black
    2000 Z28

I gave the MAF a quick shot of MAF cleaner and have been driving the car since then. The car has good performance now, but I will spray both ways as soon as I get a chance. It does have a oiled air filter, so I assume that may be contaminating the MAF. I do not have a wideband, can you reccomend a brand and model? I had not invested in a wideband as the car only has a SLP lid and filter, 180 or 190 degree thermostat and the SLP predator tune. I have lowered the temperature that the fans come on at, and pulled some of the SLP tune timing from 4000 to 6000 rpm. I am running stock exhaust manifolds and a stock exhaust system. I wanted to replace that smashed drivers manifold exhaust pipe, but the car is a vert and SLP does not make a pipe for this model. I was thinking of using a fuel injection or other cleaner to get the carbon off of the pistons and heads, but am not sure this is a plan that will make a difference. I have been reading some posts on this site and will investigate for a vacuum leak. Any more thoughts on the knock?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information