Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

HELP ! Bucking and jerking when trying to maintain speed!

This is a discussion on HELP ! Bucking and jerking when trying to maintain speed! within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by 5abivt Allblack does your car do it all the time on the highway? Update for me.. I'm ...

black
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    Allblack does your car do it all the time on the highway?

Update for me.. I'm on the way to work and late so I'm blasting every car through 3rd gear I figured I'd see if I could flex some muscle. My service engine light popped within 10 mins. On The highway now and no bucking or jerking at all so far :/
    My car does not do it all the time, it hesitates or bogs sometimes badly when its warming up, but not all the time. Once it warms up it usually runs well at steady speeds or light acceleration. When floored it might run well or have a long flat spot with lowered power. I have never had the check engine light come on in this car. I'm going to clean the MAF

SOM
    2002 SS

Sounds similar but mine only does it when hot and sometimes on the highway. I'm wondering if perhaps my tube being rich paired with mr granny driving for fuel mileage over the winter got the plugs and o2 covered in soot and causing it to read wrong. Yesterday morning the light did come on but turned off while driving yesterday evening. I did give her some exercise yesterday and today morning and I haven't had an issue today morning and on the way home on the freeway. I'm wondering if getting the motor hot and some wot may have cleaned up things inside a bit.

I'm actually sitting in the parking lot at the auto store to buy a scanner. I'm going to buy the baller one, read the codes and clear them and return it later tonight. God I love cdn tire

Hopefully the scan will reveal something else I for already know.

SOM
    2002 SS

Well not much to report. $350 scanner is cool but showed the same low 02 code and none others. The o2 voltage when compared to all other 3 is very similar.. It jumps around .040 all the way .950 . All 4 o2s are doing it even at idle and I don't know if that's normal or if perhaps the ECM has a very fast sample rate which is making it move so low and high.

Hopefully I'm not imagining things but she does pull hard like before. I called my buddy who works with me who has an 11 5L and we lined em up at 30 mph and I still pull away like before so I guess she isn't down on power. I'm going to return the code reader now and I did put half tank in with a fuel system cleaner just for the he'll of it. I'm putting on my rims in an hour or so and I'll be getting underneath to take a good look at the exhaust. Beyond that I'm not sure what else I can do.

SOM
    2002 SS

Ok Finally got the energy to put my rims off and started with the drivers front.. Got underneath and possibly see the culprit. What do you guys think? The soot shows evidence of leakage and it's right behind the front 02 that is popping the code. Exhaust looks older than I believed too.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I'd say thats a possibility there

SOM
    2002 SS

Hitting the bed now but I'm going to make an appt with my exhaust guy to check leaks and weld up if necessary.

So happy my rims are on. Normally I would leave the garage unless it had 10 coats of zaino on it but since it's a dd I have to leave it lol. Here's to making this thread more exciting...

Before...

After...

SOM
    2002 SS

Slight hesitation this morning.. SES light flashing for a few minutes. Never had that happen before. Light never stayed on. Is that misfire?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Flashing is misfire.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Slight hesitation this morning.. SES light flashing for a few minutes. Never had that happen before. Light never stayed on. Is that misfire?
    missfire.... even if the lightis out the codes are stored and should be able to be pulled up...

Cosmos Purple
    2004 GTO

Could have dumped enough to foul a plug. I just put turndowns on my Headers and my jerking went away 100%. I'd check that exhaust leak man. Right next to the o2, could be letting fresh air in and drowning your car with gas
    2004 CPM M6
    TSP Torqer v2 112lsa, Landspeed Stage II 241's, K&N drop-in, Blevins Tune, muffler delete, more to come
    8.33 @ 84.93 1.87 60' BTA FTW!! (Prior to heads and cam)
    Click for full size

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

I'm still think you have a bad O2. But I'll throw this out there...have you pulled any plugs yet besides the #3? I'm asking to see if it is just the one or all of them. I guess I'm thinking of a possible bad injector starting to go and dumping more fuel then it's suppose to after looking at the pic of the plug. I could be going way off the reservation but it could still be a possibility.
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 04-14-2011 at 12:47 PM.

SOM
    2002 SS

ill pull all plugs today. i have a spare old set of wires i replaced on my previous z28 in the ss im gonna throw them on when im leaving work to see if maybe its a wire. Ill pull all plugs on the drivers side later tonight when my lil girl goes to sleep and the other side to compare.

SOM
    2002 SS

Ok so I just left work I replaced the wires on bank 1 to see if it was possibly a bad wire. I doubt it but at least it can eliminate a possible cause.

Was talking to buddies before I left with the car on.. Gave her a few light revs and here's what came out..

SOM
    2002 SS

Well I drove home and no isssues at all but this is an intermittent problem so I'll have to wait and see. The wires I removed are all msd and look like they're in hood shape. I'll pull the plugs and take pics of them later and post em up.

I agree with the above about the exhaust leak causing it to run rich. I had it happen to my vette when tuning it and removing the clamp and welding the exhaust fixed it. Now my concern is that if it were a leak, wouldn't it trip the code all the time? Or a little more consistently?

SOM
    2002 SS

Man my car is falling apart before my eyes.. Another noise surfaced a scratching and grinding from the right front wheel. It does it like there was something stuck in the tire and it isn't constant. It scratches/grinds say once every revolution. That sound like wheel bearing? I should probably make another post for it..

It never ends does it :/

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

It could very well be the caliper sticking or the brake pad itself (backing of it) rubbing on the bracket that holds the brake pad. Try using some silicon on where the metal tabs come into contact and see if it goes away first.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Man my car is falling apart before my eyes.. Another noise surfaced a scratching and grinding from the right front wheel. It does it like there was something stuck in the tire and it isn't constant. It scratches/grinds say once every revolution. That sound like wheel bearing? I should probably make another post for it..

It never ends does it :/
    When it rains it pours.....

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    It could very well be the caliper sticking or the brake pad itself (backing of it) rubbing on the bracket that holds the brake pad. Try using some silicon on where the metal tabs come into contact and see if it goes away first.
    ^
    This

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

It's hard to tell from the pic, but is that just water or is it black water? Black shit in your tailpipes is definitely a sign of running rich.

SOM
    2002 SS

Its water but completely black. I leave pools of black that stain the ground anywhere where I rev her up just a bit lol. talk about leaving my mark. It's definitely rich for sure.

Ok so the grinding... I solved that so back to the plugs. i pulled all of bank 1 and ill post up pics. I pulled bank 2 and believe it or not they looked not that much cleaner. Since the plugs were months old I sprayed Seafoam on them and cleaned em up and I also removed the o2 in question. The 02 wasnt as badly soot covered as i thought it would be. I sprayed it with seafoam several times (o2 safe) and cleaned it right up. I let it dry while I put the plugs back in and then put the o2 back in.

SO.. I took it for a drive and she feels snappy again. i dont know if its the chilly air we have atm but she drives decent and i went for an hour drive and no code or light so far. I still have the oem plug wires on bank 1.

Here's the plugs:

Heres cyl #2 plug.

SOM
    2002 SS

Bad news. Really had my hopes up this morning but 30 seconds after I started up and was driving down my street I could feel the slight hesitation in 3rd gear at light throttle. A few seconds later I could feel the bucking and the driveline started jerking .. Sigh

No code no sel light nothing. Back to sq1 I might grab a new o2 on the way home

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information